Celtic Heroes : iPhone MMO (Previously known as Highland Warrior)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JoshCM, Oct 19, 2010.

1. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Don't know why noone has mentioned this yet.

Here's a vid.

http://vimeo.com/14927695

Looks like a lot of 'stuff' in there.

2. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
  3. LittleBigCar

LittleBigCar Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Pretty nice idea of a big huge 3d mmo.With all the good rpg elements.Looks to play somewhat like Sherwood.Also is it just the graphics or your camera.The Graphics are ok in places but idk somewhat displeasing

4. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    Looks good, i'm getting a scottish vibe from it. Who is the developer, any websites?

5. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    www.onethumbmobile.com

[​IMG]

6. ipodrocks123

ipodrocks123 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Where is this game ??!! looks sweet!!

7. rhasinski

rhasinski Active Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Just saw this thread - we're currently working on the game and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Also any suggestions will be taken on board, the game is still in development so there is plenty of time to improve and extend it, and any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks

Richard.

ps we are based in Glasgow scotland hence the medieval Scottish setting of the game :)

8. Pint Size Design Dave

Oct 20, 2010
    #8 Pint Size Design Dave, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
    I'm the senior artist on the project. The development stage is early yet and we're still developing new technologies, including new lighting and texture display systems which will be shown in new shots soon. The game is definitely coming on and we're aiming quite high with what we're doing. Thanks for the feedback.

9. Alienmario

Alienmario Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    gaming! lol
    idk udk
    add retina display support at first place and improve the look of faces :)

10. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    This game looks really nice, great job on it.

Now some questions about it...

How many people can this support?

Will it work over 3g?

How realistic is this going to be? Will this be medieval/fantasy, or more historical?

If you could answer these it would be much appreciated, and welcome to Touch Arcade.

11. rhasinski

rhasinski Active Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hi Alienmario, we will definitely be making a retina and ipad version :)

Anything in particular that should be changed to the look of the faces?

12. rhasinski

rhasinski Active Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hi kcur

The game will be supporting tens of thousands of players, split between a number of servers, the exact limits will have to be determined during load testing.

There will be a list of servers you can select from when entering the game, and these will each show how busy they are. The player details are stored centrally, so you are not restricted to always playing on the same server, which will make it easier to play online with your friends.

The game will run fine on a 3g network connection, and it will support the iPhone 3G and ipod 2nd gen. We have written all the code ourselves and are not using any middleware which means we are quite flexible in the devices we support. We will be continuously improving the visuals over the course of development.

The game setting is 13th Centry medieval Scotland, you start off on the west coast of scotland, and the main adversaries for the starting areas will be the vikings who were warring with Scotland during that time period. Although the setting is historical, we will be adding in some cool things for the players to do, and cool outfits to wear etc. So the feel of the game will be fairly authentic from a setting and npc point of view, but the players themselves will have some leeway to look and act a bit more modern if they choose to.

13. Lifein2D

Lifein2D Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Student
    Canada
    Is there going to be PVP and Raids?

14. rhasinski

rhasinski Active Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    There will be raids which players can take part in, but will not be mandatory to progress in the game. PVP will not be included in the first versions, and in a later update PVP elements will probably be added as consentual pvp areas in arenas. After that who knows, it will be up to the players to let us know what they want!

15. jordan_jax

jordan_jax Member

Oct 21, 2010
    This looks very promising...have been waiting for someone to attempt the first "legit" mmorpg.

couple comments/questions:

Will you have dungeons? Boss fights?

itemization in mmorpgs (as you know i'm sure) is critical...hope you will have a wide range of items/weapons, both rare/high-end and easy to get and everything in between.

didn't like reading that you can play on any server at any given time with a single character. hurts the community feeling which is very important in mmorpgs (even mobile ones i'd imagine), and really inhibits the importance of reputation which can also be an important building block for that "community" feel.

zoned i assume?

within a server, will you have instances? (hope not ;)

I saw in the video you had at least simplistic quests. Will you have larger, more "epic" quests?

any idea on how big of a land mass you are trying to get into the game? Plan on having rivers/seas or any type of water areas? Ships?

Magic?

will you be able to form groups? guilds? (i realize some of this may be impossible given the mobile limitations...or release too far out to answer the question)

thanks! will definitely be keeping an eye on this one. If it ends up anything like EQ at all i'd gladly pay a monthly fee if you can pull it off...

16. altair77

altair77 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greece,Athens
    Are there any mounts ?(flying,ground...)
    How big the world will be?
    How many races,factions and classes will be?
    Are there any travel vehicles like the Zeppelins in wow where you can move on different areas?(depends of how big the game world is...)

-Thanks

17. rhasinski

rhasinski Active Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    There will definitely be dungeons and boss fights. Itemisation is absolutely critical and there will be a huge variety of items, from common to extremely rare and powerful items.

The 'server jumping' is a facility we have implemented so that you can easily join your friends who are also playing - handheld games are inherently more casual and people will more likely see friends pop online rather than pre-arrange play schedules - the game will have to support short chunks of game play, although we are definitely catering for people who want to play for more extended periods of time.

The game is zoned, and non-instanced. The video earlier in this thread is from the tutorial which just has a few very simple things to do, the main game has 'proper' large quests with a rich backstory and characters.

The starting area of the game is in the west coast of scotland around Dunstaffnage castle:

http://tinyurl.com/369smqr

We are expanding the game out from this starting point, and will be adding travel by boats to other areas.

There will not be any magic but there will be plenty of ways to advance your character and become more powerful - there are skills which have various effects, and other things like music which can affect the world.

There will be groups and clans, (remember this is in Scotland!)

18. Klemen

Klemen Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    This game looks just like mount and blade for the PC.

19. rhasinski

rhasinski Active Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    There will be mounts in an early update but no plans for flying ones as the setting is medieval Scotland. The world will start out smaller than the current big PC mmo's but it will be constantly expanded with new areas after launch, we plan to keep development going long after release.

At the first launch you can play as a male or female Highlander, although in updates we will be adding more playable choices e.g. vikings and English knights. The character progression is based around levels, attribute points, abilities and skill points. You gain attribute and skill points from levelling, and can buy new skills from the skill trees. New abilities are aquired through trainers and then need to be improved through usage. The idea is that you can make many different builds of a character, and focus on damage dealing, support, stealth, defence, durability or combinations of those.

There are no Zeppelins but there will be a way to travel quickly between Celtic stones dotted around the landscape. You can only travel quickly between stones that you have discovered. The idea behind this is that you first need to explore and find new areas, but after that you can travel quickly to enable short play sessions without mandatory long travel times.

The game will be free to download and will be funded by in-app purchases which we will make as unobtrusive as possible. We are planning a premium subscription model which will have expanded features but the free version will be a perfectly fun and playable game.

20. jordan_jax

jordan_jax Member

Oct 21, 2010
    thanks for the quick answers. Love what you guys are trying to do here, but i think you are making a few mistakes that will unnecessarily really restrict your potential customer base.

1) no magic. right here you probably cut your customer base in half or worse. even if you were to implement an extremely simplistic magic system i think it would be a huge move in terms of appealing to many more folks in your target customer base who are interested in mmorpgs. and this is coming from a guy who always plays a ranger ;)

2) setting: again, i think you're really limiting yourselves by going with a psuedo-realistic world, this time in terms of races (only human) and geographic setting (Scotland). I understand this is where you are from and what you are familiar with, but you'd appeal to a bajillion more people (rough estimate) with a more traditional high fantasy setting with elves/orcs/humans/trolls and the like vs the more reality-based direction you seem to be going. Also, you kind of limit yourself in terms of the world you are building when basing it on a real place, vs building your own world which means you can expand it however you want and in any direction you want. Picture being able to build something like the Gates of Argonath in the LOTR...you just kind of restrict yourself to fairly mundane scenery when you base your world off of...our world. If you are building your own engine - why unnecesarily restrict yourself to the world you can create? I understand it's a mobile platform with a lot of restrictions, but still...

3) The quote above...ughh. in-game purchases has ruined every single mmorpg i've ever played (that allowed them). That alone probably means that it wouldn't be the game for me. But regardless, i'd love to see you guys be ultra-successful with this game because that would be good for everyone (money for you, another mmorpg down the road for me)

thanks again, and best of luck to you guys. Love that someone is at least giving the mmorpg genre a serious shot in the mobile world.