Universal Cavernaut (by Einheit B)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Einheit B, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Einheit B

Einheit B Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Only if you're getting the "freezing on loading screen" bug! If everything's fine now, there's no need for uninstalling! Sorry, should have made this clearer.

Cheers, Jan

2. stooney

stooney Well-Known Member

No prob, thanks!
    And maybe you can think about that multiple use thing for the fuel stations ;-)

3. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    IMHO there shouldn't be a multiple use for the fuel pads. Now part of the fun is to explore the neighborhood of a fuel pad when fuel is getting low before you finally fill up your fuel :cool:

4. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Well, I have thought *a lot* about this during development, and this is exactly my conclusion: Allowing to refuel without limit totally removes the challenge from the game: You could just explore and harvest crystals at will around each landing pad until everything's collected, then move on to the next, whereas allowing only a single use of the pads makes this a constant risk vs. reward situation :)

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The only variant that I think would be acceptable would be multi-use, but with only 80% of a tank's worth of a fuel available.

IMHO, it's best as it is. Risk vs. reward is what this game is all about! ;)

6. 8BitFlash

8BitFlash Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Please please update it so it stops crashing. I can't play

7. stooney

stooney Well-Known Member

In general, you are totally right. That's why I was suggesting an "easy mode" or somehing like this.
    I for one would like to explore every nook and cranny and have enough fuel for it.

Although, I have now upgraded fuel three times and it makes a great difference. Way more time to fly around now.

Apart from that, thank you so much for not only making a great game, but for actively communicating and listening.

8. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Hi there, the update is already submitted, the release now depends on how fast Apple reviews it... current average review time is 6 days, I submitted on Monday, so it *might be* on the App Store on Sunday... Keep your fingers crossed!

9. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Yes, this fix corrected the issue. I simply deleted the app and reinstalled. For reference, I currently have over 5 Gb memory free. However, I did, within the past few days, dump about 8-10 videos I recorded, because my available memory became low. I'm not sure if I had tried to open this app while I was in the low memory condition. In any event, I'm happy that there was such a simple fix and I have no regrets with purchasing this game. It is excellent in every way that has been mentioned here in this forum. I made it to level 3 on my first run, which is far more accredited to the excellent controls than to my skill. Thank you very much for this gem!

10. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    After playing this pretty cool game for a while now (an getting to 10K ... finally) i have to admit that everyting is fine and well balanced. So forget my wishes :cool:

11. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Hey demod1, thanks for sharing this info, glad that you could resolve this issue! Of course I'll still try to find a fix for this bug, but I'm relieved that it seems to be something that can at least be solved this way.

Have fun playing Cavernaut! Cheers, Jan

12. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Is there a way to get a score to game center if GC wasnt available when the score was done?

13. MathFan

MathFan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Game of the year! ###

14. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    I must admit that I'm not sure... The webservice I use for the high scores within the game buffers the data and sends it the next time you launch when you're online. Not sure though if GC does the same. I'll try to find out.

15. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    #155 cy@n, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    Maybe it is because i changed my player name in the options?!
    Now the local scores table shows all scores with the changed name. In the online scores i show up 2 times: with the changed name (my total best score) when GC wasn't available and the original name (best score when GC was available). The second score is shown in GC.

Edit: picture added

Attached Files:

16. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Hope to see some added content soon. Epic game that I hope to see stay alive for awhile.
    Playing right now

17. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Hey cy@an, changing the name in the options does not affect GC leaderboard entries – that name is only used for the leaderboards I have set up for the game. The only link to GC is that the default name is set to your GC handle if you haven't specified a name yet and you're connected to GC. Although changing all local leaderboard entries if you specify a new name is not supposed to happen. Looks like you stumbled upon a small bug there :eek:

Jayg2015, great to hear you're still enjoying it! I'd love to add some more content to the game, too! Hope the Android release that I'm currently preparing gets some increase in exposure, so I can keep working on it.

18. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Hey there, the update is finally available on the App Store! I'd love to hear how you like the iPhone 6 resolution support. And there should be no more crashes when playing without wifi!
    Cheers, Jan

19. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Awesome! I tried the update last night and had my best run yet. Made it about halfway through sector 5 before crashing into a mine and rolling down slopes for what seemed like an eternity =P
    I also got the last two artifacts and completed my collection \o/

The only difference I noticed graphics-wise was that my fuel meter isn't as long as it was. It used to go all the way to the pause button, but now there's a small space between the end of the fuel gauge and the pause button. I'm sure you still get the same amount as before, just thought I'd mention it.

Still playing regularly and still loving it. Gotta get to the surface! Thanks for the update!

20. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Great to hear you're still enjoying my game! And it's exactly as you said: Thanks to the larger display/higher resolution of the iPhone 6, the fuel bar is displayed shorter, but it's still representing the same amount of fuel, of course. It's just not upscaled from the lower iPhone 5 resolution anymore.