Universal Cavernaut (by Einheit B)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Einheit B, Sep 22, 2015.

1. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
  2. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Although anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm a premium game lover and loud applauder of IAP-free games, one IAP (or otherwise earnable, I dunno) that I would love to see in this game is a coin doubler. The upgrades are pretty pricey and a doubler would be perfect for a game like this.

3. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    #123 cy@n, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    Amazing game!
    And as Nathan wrote on the TA review http://toucharcade.com/2015/09/29/cavernaut-review/ "it made me feel like I was actually the commander of a mission making important decisions, rather than a dude sitting on the toilet screwing around with an iPhone game." :cool:
    Since one can invert the controls this is the only game with tilt control i ever liked. Great job, Jan!

Cheers from Thuringia!

4. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    It's a nice touch being able to watch your epic crash and burn. I like that.

5. Einheit B

Einheit B Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Hey there, I know I am repeating myself, but seeing Cavernaut getting so much praise here is getting me really pumped. And now this 4.5 Star review on TA - sweet :D

You are not the first who has asked for a coin doubler, Quazonk :)
    Still, I won't add any IAP. Maybe I'll lower the upgrade prices a bit, or increase the effect of the "large crystals" upgrade (which is *kind of* a coin doubler - large crystals are worth twice as much as smaller ones). Don't want to spoil the balancing, though. Guess I'll have to be careful here.

Oh, and one last thing: One thing I am reading *a lot* is that people prefer the inverted controls. Which are only inverted because I originally designed the game so that when you tilt the device, the lander always rotates into the "up" direction. Or to put it another way, you do not rotate the ship, you rotate the world. Which works for me, but if everyone else needs to change this, I will probably make the inverted control the default option in a future update. So I figured I'd conduct a little survey here: Do you prefer the default control or the inverted style?

Cheers,
    Jan

6. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Jan,

I'm telling you right now, you might as well call off the survey and just do it, because it's going to be an absolute landslide in favour of inverting the controls by default.

I'm glad you're enjoying the success of the game, it's well-deserved :)

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Agreed. Definitely prefer the inverted controls.

8. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Yeah, OK, you're probably right :)
    I'll just change it. Not in the next update though, that's already in review, and I don't want to delay the fix for the crashing bug when playing offline.

9. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Inverted controls for me. That was the first thing I did after my first run through.

10. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #130 LordShad0wz, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    Inverted controls here as well. It was the first thing I did.

I want to say that if you added a luminum doubler I would purchase it. Why? When I hate IAP? Because I want to support this game further. It's worth it to me. But I also want to say Jan that you put a nice smile on my face when you said you wouldn't.

On another note, when will Cavernaut 2 be ready for Beta? I want in and I will pre-order.

Hehe

Billy

11. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    [​IMG]

[thread=271660][​IMG][/thread] [thread=271663][​IMG][/thread] [thread=271533][​IMG][/thread] [thread=271730][​IMG][/thread] [thread=271661][​IMG][/thread] [thread=271694][​IMG][/thread] [thread=271736][​IMG][/thread] [thread=271838][​IMG][/thread] [thread=271655][​IMG][/thread] [thread=271804][​IMG][/thread]

Cavernaut

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

Sept 25th, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo & post layout

12. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Awesome, thanks for nominating Cavernaut! Some tough competition there, but even making it into the shortlist is an incredible honor, especially if you consider that this is my first indie game release!

Now, may the *cough* Cavernaut *cough* best game win :)

13. classydank

classydank New Member

Mar 8, 2015
    #133 classydank, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    Cavernaut (by Einheit B)

This game is great. As soon as I checked it out I could tell it is exactly what I've been craving - a game any bit like Lunar Lander. I wanted a modern version, and you did a great job reinventing it for the iOS. Controls are on point and so is the gameplay. I like the overall goal, and how it is randomly generated every time. Adds replayability which is huge for me. Then the items which are either collectibles, coins, or power ups are great for keeping the rounds fresh, they add the perfect amount of depth. Collectibles and coins (which are used for upgrades) create a long term goal for the player while the powerups make each round unique. Whatever the map has given you influences how you will play each round. I like that a lot about this game. The graphics and colors are easy and nice to look at which is satisfying. Good looking UI during the game, I got everything I need to know and it's perfectly out of the way. Sound only adds to the atmosphere which is great. Also the menu is simple and straight to the point. I like how there is little clutter, no bullshit.

Alright ended up reviewing the game a bit there I apologize if it came out sloppy. Let me just also say, I very much enjoy the overall immersion of this game and will tell you that I see the effort put towards the minute details of it. You have made a well rounded game and for that it is staying on my phone. Keep doing you, don't change anything or add anything purely out of what people demand. I am excited to see what the future holds for this game. Cheers!

14. stooney

stooney Well-Known Member

After reading some rave reviews, I got the game yesterday.
    Everybody here is talking about 99c, it was twice that for me, but maybe I was too slow for that. Still totally worth two bucks as well.

Since I am more of a casual player, I have two very small issues with it, or maybe suggestion:

First I wish, that fuel stations could be used multiple times. Maybe this could be incorporated as part of an "easy mode" or something, or as an option?

Second, the upgrades are really really pricey! I played a couple of times and was just able to buy the first stage of one upgrade. The next stage is 2,5 times the price and there are multiple upgrades.
    This is typically a thing you get from FTP-games, since this is a full game without any IAP, I wish they were more userfriendly priced.

Still loving it though, controls are really great and the goodies you can find are very motivational, instead of just collecting coins.

15. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    2 wishes for a future update:
    The fuel or treasure indicating power ups are equiliteral triangles. That makes it very hard to see which corner of the arrow one have to follow.
    And I would like to see the actual altitude while playing #

16. webdaffy

webdaffy Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Excellent ideas!!!

17. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    I actually had a power up item that would display the altitude at one point during the development. It did not contribute very much to the gameplay, so I replaced it with the treasure finder. Might reactivate it, though.

18. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    The game freezes on the loading screen every time I turn it on. Iphone 6 running iOS 8.4.1. I got to play it once only. I'm in my house with a strong wifi connection.

19. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Hey demod1, sorry that you are affected by this bug, too. It seems to happen rarely, and I couldn't yet confirm the cause of this bug. I have some ideas, though. It might be connected to the device storage being low. Can you check that? At least in one case this bug appeared after the device had downloaded the iOS 9 update, and thus got low on memory. After freeing the memory and completely uninstalling, then reinstalling the game, everything was fine again. You might try uninstalling and reinstalling even if your device storage is not the problem.

If that doesn't help, you might try the updated version of the game that is currently awaiting review by Apple. It will probably be available early next week. It uses an updated version of the AIR framework, so that might solve some obscure bugs like this, too. I still recommend uninstalling the game before installing the updated version, though.

20. stooney

stooney Well-Known Member

Do you recommend that only if there are problems with the current version, or also if everything is running fine?