Universal Cavernaut (by Einheit B)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Einheit B, Sep 22, 2015.

1. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    I hate tilt controls.......but
    I love this game!
    I don't know who I am anymore; I just looked in a mirror to see a stranger staring back at me. ;)

Seriously, cracking game. First time in ages that I've preferred to play on phone rather than pad but then that's the tilt I guess.
    Well bowled, dev; well bowled.

2. Einheit B

Einheit B Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    #102 Einheit B, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    Hi pluto6, internet connection is not really required for Cavernaut. The crashing bug will be fixed soon!

@Doom: You can actually finish the game and still get a lower score. Getting a high score means you need to collect lots of luminum crystals, but they are not required for finishing the game. Cavernaut allows for different playing styles!

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    How much does it take to finish the game? I've reached area 3 maximum, but ran out of fuel. Aside from finishing the game, you also have the object collecting objective :)

4. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Is there are point in collecting artifacts or are they just there to be collected? I mean, do they add anything to your ship?

5. Lull4by

Lull4by Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    I did it in 30 minutes, not very long but it's not easy at all.

Here is my ability level

Fuel 3
    Hull 1
    Shield 1
    Tractor 2
    Crystal max

I think it's safer to upgrade fuel up to 3 or max,
    more fuel = more time to do everything.

Hull & Shield are not that important if you can control the ship well, if you can't then put more points on them, hull > shield since you get hull from the start.

Tractor is an interesting thing, in my opinion it is more important than hull & shield, just because you can get everything from a bit longer distance, save more time = save more fuel, also makes you getting the item easier and safer. It depends on your luck since you don't have it from the start.

Crystal is everything, so after I upgraded all ability 1 time, I focused on it to get more crystal faster, so it's the most important ability IMO.

I still have 4 or 5 treasures to collect, so I will try to collect them gradually.

Good luck!

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    The controls in this game.... Incredible

I'm finding the upgrade prices to be extremely steep though, which is strange

7. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    You have to use tilt controls in this game ?

8. Ty-Ty2020

Ty-Ty2020 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Yes but these are definitely some of the best tilt controls in any IOS game.

9. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I'm a tilt-control hater. The only two games I love which only have tilt controls are this one and Ridiculous Fishing.

10. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Yep. These are literally my only two exceptions to my tilt-hating stance through all of iOS.

11. Grimstone82

Grimstone82 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    I am right there with you, and I agree on the same two games. The only other game where I don't mind the tilt controls is MetalStorm, but I don't play that so much anymore. But I really think Cavernaut has the absolute best tilt controls of any game I've ever played. The moment I fired it up I was disappointed that the controls were tilt, but within 15 seconds I found myself accepting them and about a minute later I was blown away by how much I enjoyed them.

12. jForsythe

jForsythe Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Do you have to use the tilt controls.? Only asking as with my disabilities using the tilt control is too hard for me so I can't buy any game that has this. :(

13. 8BitFlash

8BitFlash Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    When's the update? I can't play cuz usually I don't have wifi , so it crashes every time I play...

14. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Do the artifacts add any sort of upgrade to your ship?

15. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Unfortunately yes. Tilting is used for the ship to go left/right, so if you can't use tilt controls, I guess that unless touch controls are implemented in the future, you won't enjoy this game, sorry :( EDIT: you can play this game with one hand, in case it helps.

Nope, they're just for collection purposes AFAIK.

16. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Hi there, I'm hoping to get it ready today or tomorrow. Then it depends on how long it takes Apple to review it. Keep your fingers crossed! I'll post an update here in this forum as soon as I know more.

Confirming the answer of VirtualBoyFreak here, they are just for the fun of collecting stuff. But as a few people have already asked this, I'm already thinking about changing that in a future update. That's a very vague idea yet, though.

Cheers,
    Jan

17. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Hi there, I just submitted a new build to the Apple review. It fixes the "game over crash" bug that occurs when the device is offline, and it greatly improves the graphics quality on an iPhone 6. I also changed the settings for the iPhone 6 plus, not sure though if it really looks better. Maybe someone here who owns a 6+ can let me know if it worked (when the updated version is available, that is – hopefully iTunes review doesn't take too long); I don't have access to a 6+ for testing ATM.

18. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I took a couple of screenshots, and will do so again after I download the update.

19. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Might be worth going the Deep Loot root and make it so you can sell off collections for currency.

20. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Oh my.

This is an excellent game, must-have even. Especially at $.99!

Forget everything you know about tilt controls. Make this your first experience. It's like butter, not kidding.