Universal Cavernaut (by Einheit B)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Einheit B, Sep 22, 2015.

1. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #41 LordShad0wz, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    No disrespect but not by a long shot. The control scheme in lunar mission is horrid and makes it a complete chore to try and fly the ship. The game doesn't even have basic stuff like changing the orientation so the home button is to the right. The game is level based with basic "you land here". I see no procedural generation. Lunar mission doesn't have that one more time feel.

Cavernaut is hands down a way better game in every way. I uninstalled Lunar Mission.

Billy

2. Einheit B

Einheit B Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Hello everybody, Jan here. Just wanted to say what a great community this is. Seeing that my game receives such a warm-hearted welcome by you guys is simply awesome.

Someone here asked if I had worked on other games before -- well, I did some contract work on comparatively simple advergames, so technically this is not my first game. But I never published anything I have developed completely myself, as an indie game dev. So I have every reason to be overwhelmed by the response here (and elsewhere)!

3. SPM21Bucky

SPM21Bucky Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Male
    I saw toucharcade preview this before release, stuck it on my watch list. I saw that it came out today, read some of the early reviews and bought it. Finally had some time to give it a few tries, I'm really enjoying it so far! Purchased the tractor beam upgrade thinking it would act like a magnet to pull the luminum in faster, that didn't work... Headed back to the game to figure out what it does! I'm glad it's a game where you can try to explore everything, taking your time, weighing the possible reward against what's in your fuel tank, and not one of the games that has death chasing you, making you rush through everything. Having a fun time with this one!

4. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    congratulations with this one!
    personally, i absolutely in love with this game. perfect.

5. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    @Dev: would it be feasible to implement a savestate so that if we exit the app, we can continue where we were? Not one which you can load always, just one that allows you to resume exactly where you were when you quit the app and then come back. This way, no one would be able to load saved games (like checkpoints), but we'd be able to continue if we are forced to quit the game (phone calls, children, etc.)

6. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Hi VirtualBoyFreak, the game state actually should be saved when you exit, putting the game into pause so you can continue playing when you come back. But it seems that this sometimes does not work – I got this complaint once before, from my wife :).
    I assume it has something to do with the memory available on the device. Will look into this. Can you share your device model and iOS version? You can mail them to [email protected].

7. Grimstone82

Grimstone82 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    Wow, this game looks right up my alley! I'd buy it immediately if I didn't have a stack of medical bills to pay for :( Definitely putting it on my wish list though. My first free dollar will likely go towards picking this up.

8. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I love this game.

9. yoshthug

yoshthug Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Chicago
    This game is awesome! Impeccable controls! Well done.

10. Tulki

Tulki Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Great game, though I've been running into crash issues. iPhone6, iOS 8.

It has been crashing whenever I crash (heh). If I restart I still have all my collectibles from the run so it's not too bad, just annoying. I wasn't connected to wifi when I was playing it so maybe it has something to do with uploading scores?

Also, if you enjoy the game then leave a review. Reviews help games get exposed on the app store. :u

11. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    #51 Einheit B, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    Hey Tulki, sorry to hear about your issues, you get the prize for first crash report, though! :eek: I don't think there is a connection between the crashes and the wifi connection. I'll try to get this sorted out.

Anyone else here who has experienced this?

And thanks for the reminder about the reviews. I second that, of course ;)

12. dlt0rre

dlt0rre Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Hi Dev!
    Do you plan to add support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus resolution?
    It doesn't look very good in a 6 Plus...:
    [​IMG]

13. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    It's on my list, but it might be a while until I get to that.

14. collider

collider Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    Sounds like a memory thing. Does a full restart help Tulki? Did you do this in Cocos 2D Einheit (not related to the crash - just curious).

Only had a chance to try it twice last night, but love it. Very relaxing pace (even with the tense refueling). Great attention to detail (art, music programming etc...). Great job!

15. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Hi collider, yes, I am guessing it's a memory thing, too. And no, not Cocos 2D: I used AIR + Starling.

Thanks for the nice words!
    Cheers, Jan

16. Tulki

Tulki Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Could be memory related but not sure. I had no other apps open. I only did three runs but each one ended with a crash once it finished.

17. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Hey Tulki, looks like you were right about the missing wifi connection being the cause of the crash. Just reproduced it with the phone in airplane mode. Will be fixed in an update in the near future. Thanks! :)

18. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I was a lucky code grabber a few days ago (thanks again) and i upgraded my fuel (and rest) almost to the max. Now i can say it's a cool "slow paced" and a bit mesmerizing experience everytime i come back again. Love to repeat myself - brilliant soundtrack - helps me to get into the tunnel while playing.

Yet, i definitely wish for louder sfx sounds, or better, a volume slider for both (+music).

Are the tilt controls as good as in Ridiculous Fishing? Yep, they very are, imho.
    Laying on the couch (me) won't bring the best scores though, because the tilting is not restricted to a fixed screen as in RF. The exploring to any side expands the screen greatly.

I really hope this game does well, because i can see a lot of additional enemies, traps and modes in some possible updates...
    (Just scratched level 5 open, only to die after a few seconds later. Didn't hear/see that laser)
    ...guns, bombs, shooting ships, moving lasers/blades, speedrun through all levels with leaderboard, new ships etc.

Good luck, Jan!

19. webdaffy

webdaffy Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Great Game!!

PLEASE increase the sound volume for the thrust

20. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    It doesn't work for me, quite possibly because of memory issues (4S with 512MB RAM, you know... :p). Mail sent with detailed device specs.