Universal Cavernaut (by Einheit B)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Einheit B, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Einheit B

Einheit B Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Hmmm, this looks like something went pear shaped there. You should have the Cavern Ace achievement, obviously (you get it for reaching area 5, and you completed the game, so you must have passed through that...). Maybe that didn't get registered when you were playing offline? I'm sure I can find a way to take care of that, though. Bear with me, please... :eek:

As for the hidden achievement: It has something to do with the fuel. Won't tell you more. Probably already said too much :p

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I got the hidden achievement on my 1st-2nd game... :D

3. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Yeah, I figured that most players would stumble upon that rather soon. :)

BTW, there seem to be a lot of people who like the music in Cavernaut, so I figured I'd make the soundtrack available for download. It's on bandcamp, and you can pay what you want. Sounds good? Heres the link: https://einheit-b.bandcamp.com

Cheers, Jan

4. AndThereItIs

AndThereItIs Member

Oct 20, 2015
    I love this game so much.

Dev, what about making an endless mode? Once we beat the game, there's nothing else to do.

Endless mode would be sweet with leaderboards. Mini challenges of some sort would,be cool too, or time challenges. Just trying to think of ways to keep the game from dying and getting deleted after we beat it. It's such a great game I'm in love

5. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Hey there, yes, endless is actually an option I'm considering. Especially since the last reviewer has described the game as an endless runner :)

Not sure when I can put that in, though. Next on my list is a speedrun leaderboard, so there is a goal you can pursue after beating the game once: Try to beat it faster :D

6. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I like the game how it is. An endless mode would be cool as long as you don't mess with the original game. It's perfect. :)

7. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Found the hidden achievement. Thank you! The other achievement isn't that important because i am usually not on the hunt for achievements .. just for scores :cool:

I will definitely have a look at your bandcamp-page because your great soundtrack sounds like the chillout-version of one of my favourite dark electro artists Fix8:Sed8 :rolleyes:

I would prefer a speedrun mode above an endless mode (both are welcome anyways ;) ) ... this would be years after Donut Games' Comet Racer a great successor to me :D

Great work Jan, although the sales on Android aren't going that well without a publisher :eek:

8. Grimstone82

Grimstone82 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    Anyone having issues playing the game on 9.1? Whenever I try to play, it just hangs on "loading".

9. Einheit B

Aug 28, 2015
    Designer & developer
    Muenster/Germany
    Hi Grimstone, I've heard of this issue, though it's not 9.1 specific (it works with 9.1 for most players without problems, but the bug has appeared with other iOS versions, too). And I'm very sorry to say I still couldn't find out what exactly causes this.

I'm afraid the only solution so far seems to be completely uninstalling and reinstalling the game, sometimes twice. This has worked for most players I heard of that had encountered this bug (but you'll lose your progress). Also, it _seems_ that the issue is related to the device storage space being low. I could not yet confirm that, but if you try this, you might want to check if you can free up a little memory if it does not work.

Cheers,
    Jan

P.S.: Please let me know if you try this and it works for you, I need all the data I can get about this bug.

10. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    When a device is low on memory, it tends to delete cached archives from apps. One problem I had was with Star Trek Trexels: a 60MB basic download and 250MB in-game download which is stored as cached archives. When the device goes low on memory, it deletes these archives and I have to redownload them.

You might want to check what game archives are stored as cached archives which might affect loading if deleted ;)

11. Grimstone82

Grimstone82 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    I did end up having to delete and redownload. I unfortunately lost all my progress/upgrades but at least I am able to play it again.

12. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Another (but smaller) problem: there is a fake top score on the leaderboard again ...

13. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Things are getting worse.
    Somehow someone moved all players by one place (tdogg got my score, nathevina got tdogg's score and so on) and moved me to a hacked score :mad:

Attached Files:

14. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Its free?

15. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    Yes, it is! :)

16. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    Its still bugged tho as it has been from day one

17. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Fun but not a fan of tilt.

18. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Did you already try the inverted controls (options menu)?

19. MacAttack

MacAttack New Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Love this game.

Am really enjoying this app, but have been having a bug problem where the game gets stuck on the "loading" screen. Closing off the game doesn't fix the problem. The only way is to delete the game and download again, starting the upgrades from scratch!
    I think I've tracked down where the issue lies: as long as I don't upgrade the ship, I can continue playing indefinitely. I just can't advance much beyond area 3 without fuel upgrades, for example.
    Currently I have over 3000 Luminum I can't use, and even though it's been running in the background for 2-3 days, it hasn't been hanging. Before, I was having to re-download 2-3 times a day.
    Only issue. Love the game otherwise. I can hardly wait to see what else you come up with!

20. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    How is it possible?
    A normal run to the top collecting every single item gives 17-20k (depending on the item distribution). For a few months there where a invisible barrier at 20k. Nobody was able to get over it. But now suddenly there are 2 scores over 25k! Is this just a very lucky item distribution, a secret way to get more points or cheating?