Universal Cavern (by Sami Sierla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by soulinhki, Dec 19, 2009.

1. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Wow, that was less than EIGHT HOURS between submission and availability of the update. Amazing, wish Apple was that prompt back when I was issuing regular updates :)

I think I found a little bug in your map generator. I made it to a floor called the "Catacombs", was able to proceed forward for a couple of rooms, and then was stopped cold by a wall. I could see the slight hints of a room on the other side so I walked around and pushed on it from all angles. No secret doors. Decided to read my "magic map" I'd been saving. It shows the entire floor layout, there is a room in the area I want to proceed, but there is no way to reach it. There appear to be a number of rooms on that map with no access.

I've taken some in-game snapshots that I can show you if it would help. Too bad I can't access the save game data...

Despite small issues like this I'm really enjoying the game a lot! :)

2. Attac4

Attac4 Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Just got it :D:D

3. soulinhki

soulinhki Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    #83 soulinhki, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    CommanderData,

Just found the catacombs bug, submitting 1.3.2. Oh dear... It is caused by one misdesigned predefined room. (I had placed doorway over wall :confused:)

(Magic Map by the way shows secret doors still as walls unless they have been found so some areas may seem out of reach)

Apologies for all heroes stuck at catacombs.

4. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

No problem at all Soulinhki! Had a decent run going, but I don't mind starting over... maybe I'll get even better items next time through ;)

I'm glad you were able to identify the problem quickly- maybe Apple will approve it with lightning speed again! I must say, I am still impressed with your map generation anyway, there's a great amount of variety to the floor layouts. I've been experimenting a lot with random generation lately and have not been able to re-create stuff that nice looking yet. :eek:

5. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    1.3.2 has been submitted, let's see if Apple beats previous record with 1.3.1.
    No other changes than the Catacombs fix.

Actually, all versions of Cavern has been approved in less than five working days. I can only imagine times when the approval could take weeks :eek:

Nice to hear that you like Cavern generator, there will be some new twists to it in future versions ;)

6. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Wow, someone at Apple must love you... this update was approved in less than 12 hours, right after having one approved in under 8 hours! Amazing... I'll make a few runs tomorrow with it and let you know how I make out! :D

7. Just bought this. I'm liking it so far. Simplistic, but that gives it a nice retro feel. For some reason, other than the obvious Rogue/Nethack flavouring, it reminds me of Gemstone Warrior. (Anyone remember that?) It think it's the way the caverns are generated. Either way though great game so far, a nice addition to the pantheon of Roguelikes, as it's very familiar, yet different enough that it has its own unique feel.

8. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    I'm at the Catacombs, and there's no problem with the map, but I'm getting some extreme lag.

9. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Twiddle,

Does the lag appear after restarting? I will be away for next week but will investigate the issue asap when i get back.

10. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    #90 Twiddle, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
    It mostly appears when I've been playing the game a long time. The lag goes away if I put my iPod on rest and let it sit for a little while.

Other than the D-Pad, you definitely need a box so I can see the description of the items in my backpack.

I've got a fire amulet in my backpack with no idea what it does.

EDIT: I figured out what the fire amulet does, but there appears to be a bug, because when I have poison darts out, and I put it on, only the poison seems to take effect, either that or the fire damage doesn't show.

Also, are there any tricks to finding secret doors, because it seems like I just run into them.

11. falloutmike

falloutmike Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    VA

I get that lag also after playing for a bit, all you have to do is exit the game and come back to it.

12. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Yeah, that seems to work, thanks.

I'm really enjoying this game, is Rogue Touch similar to this game? I'm thinking about buying Rogue Touch, but I'm not convinced.

13. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Wow, I found a hidden shop at level 14! That's awesome! :D

14. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    I was happy to see the d-pad option but it's not working out for me. Can it be made more like Rogue Touch's d-pad controls -- semi-transparent buttons on the screen?

15. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Played quite a bit of Cavern while on the couch yesterday afternoon. Good news is the Catacombs were navigable in 1.3.2. I did see some odd doors here and there throughout the game that opened into a cave wall rather than a tunnel or another room. They did not prevent me from continuing on, but thought you should know.

I experienced the lag too, if you try to ignore it, the game slows down to the point of being intolerable to play, mainly when attacking monsters. Closing and reopening to resume clears the issue in my case too.

Rogue Touch is definitely similar, random dungeon layouts, lots of magic items, turn based, and so on. Of course we have different, unique types of monsters and equipment, so there is no worry of just being "more of the same"... Hell, even I still play it and I wrote the darn thing, you'd think I was sick of looking at it by now! Soulinhki even mentions me and my game in the credits inside Cavern. :D

If you're considering Rogue Touch, now's your best time. It's been on sale for 99 cents all weekend for the one year anniversary, and will be going back to normal soon.

Soulinhki- I hate to say it, but I may have found one more bug, or I'm doing something wrong. Made it to the "very warm place", a small area with not much to see. I've killed everyone including an extremely tough demon guarding a lever. Pulled it and the gate on this small floor never opened. Now I can do nothing except wander aimlessly around this floor. I'm assuming the goal of the game is hidden inside behind this gate, but I cannot get it. Any thoughts?

16. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    I'm on that part too, and I think there are multiple levers you're supposed to pull, because I've pulled 3 levers already.

Also, I bought Rogue Touch and I'll probably be typing my first impressions here later today or tomorrow, unless I should do that somewhere else.

17. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

You have three switches? I only have three small landmasses, and only one switch. Flipping the switch did nothing in my case. Gate still closed and locked. Nobody left to kill, nothing to interact with. Can land-masses be hidden here in the fire?

Oh, and thanks for the purchase of Rogue Touch! Ideally you'd want to put the comments into the version 1.5 thread, buried here someplace. But if you want to share a few thoughts we me personally feel free too :D

18. I don't know if this has been answered already, but are there secret walls 'n stuff? I haven't gotten far into the game yet but I don't want to spend time looking for them if they're not there. :)

19. kornalius

kornalius Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    CEO of ArianeSoft Inc.
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Great game. I rarely comment about games but this one is really backed up by its developer. I had a crash and sent him an email. Within a day he got back to me, fixed it and 2 days later the new version was available.

20. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

There are. Usually found at the ends of apparently dead-end corridors in my experience. Walking all the way to the end rather than giving up when you see the end from a distance will reveal anything that is there. Hidden rooms are almost always treasure rooms from what I have seen, holding a few goodies and a few monsters. :D