Universal Cavern (by Sami Sierla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by soulinhki, Dec 19, 2009.

1. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Hi there kennfusion, long time no see! Cavern's definitely a good entry to the roguelike genre, and getting better with each update. I think that version 1.3 is almost ready to go as a matter of fact :D

2. soulinhki

soulinhki Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    yes, 1.3 has been submitted but still waiting for approval..

here's a pair of screenies from new levels

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Finally had time to record better gameplay footage (from version 1.3)

See it here:

4. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Soulinhki, this is really coming together nicely, I like what you've done with the game. Great improvements and enhancements to the game so quickly! Definitely looking forward to the 1.3 update :D

5. RagManX

RagManX Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    #65 RagManX, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
    I love Rogue-likes, but suck so much at them. Can anyone give a pointer to a good source for getting better at them? I need to give this and Rogue Touch a try.

6. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    RagManX, I think each of the roguelikes have their own strategies so universal tips are hard to give. You usually learn the game by trial and error but one rule of thumb could be to always proceed with caution and not to rush ;)

Rogue Touch has quite active forums at http://www.chronosoft.com from where you'll find a ton of hints.

For Cavern, I think it's a bit more straighforward than Rogue Touch, there is not very much hidden functionality and strategies are mostly pretty simple to learn by playing. On the other hand, Rogue Touch is more true to the roguelike roots and will have a lot of secrets.

With both games (and mostly with any other roguelikes) you'll still be experiencing a lot of sudden deaths - don't worry, it's part of the fun:rolleyes:

7. postmanmanman

postmanmanman Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    My strategy for Cavern: every time you fill your inventory at first, run to the top floor and sell everything you don't need. Tedious, yes, but very useful, because you'll eventually work up enough money to buy the amulet that lets you return to town for free.

Also: never, ever, leave a floor until you're sure you've cleaned up ALL the monsters there. XP is the most valuable commodity!

Oh, and the basic rule for every roguelike: don't be afraid to use all the consumable items you have when you're in deep trouble. Unlike in standard RPGs, there's no second chance, so it's not like there'll ever be a time when you need them more!

8. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    1.3 just got approved!

Oh and one more thing : I'm not 100% sure if old saved games are compatible with 1.3, if you have a good game going I suggest to finish it before updating.

For now, I won't reset highscores but you will get bigger scores with 1.3 eventually.

Hope you enjoy Cavern!

9. postmanmanman

postmanmanman Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Woo! 1.3! It's on the App Store now!

10. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Well, been playing 1.3 for a bit now and can say you've done an excellent job with the new features. I have found one small bug that I can reproduce easily: Go into Ira's adventurer goods, and try to check out that dagger-like weapon between the sword and bow, and it crashes the game every time. It doesn't impact the game really as long as you avoid that, but I'd worry about other items that may be found randomly having whatever bad property this one has.

Hope you're able to track down the problem. Let me know if you need any more info... Back to the Cavern for me :D

11. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    I think this game is great, but it's still missing a few things:

Ingame music. Come on, it gets a bit quiet.

D-pad. I know that I'm probably the only one requesting it, but the other controls just don't work for me.

12. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    CommanderData,
    Yup, crashes here too. Found the bug & will submit 1.3.1 today. Never actually bought that dagger and thus missed that bug :) (crash was due old item format, that dagger is one of the first items in game)

Twiddle,
    There might be somekind of ingame music in future versions but not until somebody composes some original music. I'm not talented enough :rolleyes: I'll also try to keep the game under 10MB and Cavern is now quite close to that limit.
    DPad will be coming but I wasn't happy with the implementation I made so I dropped it from the 1.3.

What would you guys wish for next major version? I'm working on lite now and will be on vacation next week (not with Cavern money :D) but will begin 1.5 after that. There are some quite big technical overhauls but other than that the plan is still pretty open.

13. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Glad that you were able to locate that glitch quickly!

Oh, forgot to mention that the new touch layout works much better for me, but I do miss being able to double-tap to run as I programmed in Rogue Touch. I'm sure many people besides Twiddle would appreciate the D-pad. That and leaderboards were the most requested features back when I got started, and you've got the hard part done now :)

One other suggestion, make the monster squeal and scream noises a lot quieter so I can turn up the volume and enjoy the background sounds. Right now I turn it way down because those death-screeches are *very* annoying at the high volumes required to hear the cave effects.

Final note- I killed a ghost and looted a corpse he was lurking near yesterday for the first time (presumably from another adventurer)! That was pretty neat, he was a tough guy to kill but I kept my cool :D

14. jacksons123

jacksons123 New Member

Feb 15, 2010
    It seems to be good, would love to give it a try !

15. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Good tips on sound volume. I made ambient sounds somewhat quiet so you could play your own music on background too. Maybe individual volume controls for ambient sounds and game sounds?

D-Pad is high on priority list and there will be probably two variations to i. (D-Pad & directional taps for interaction and D-Pad with tap to interact).

Ghosts that guard corpses are 90% immune to physical attacks, however they drop pretty easily with fire or ice damage ;)

16. rlrtwo

rlrtwo Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #76 rlrtwo, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
    I just bought this game recently and am having a really great time with it. My suggestion for the next update would be to list the weight of each item in your inventory.

Since you need to juggle items frequently as you come across new goodies, it is not easy to tell what weighs the most and should be sold or dropped in favor of something better. I suppose you can just drop the item and watch the total weight go down, but a number next to the item would be quicker... :)

One other small thing I noticed was in one of the special treasure rooms. There was some gold on a table, but a chair was in the way so I couldn't click on the gold to retrieve it. It probably wasn't much, but since I was clearing out the place anyway I hated to leave anything behind.

I also have a question about secret doors. Do you have to just run into the walls to find them or click on the walls themselves? I am using the "directional movement" option and found one by accident and can't remember what I did to discover it since I tap all over the screen to move around. I haven't found another yet in the few games I have played since.

Thanks for all the updates and keep up the great work!

17. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Have had my eye on this for a while, and finally picked it up just now. Look forward to having a go, liked what I've read about it here.

18. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    rlrtwo,

With directional movement, you have to walk towards the wall to open secret doors. With default movement, tap over wall walks you near the secret door and opens it. Some secret doors are opened by proximity of player (these appear mostly in skeleton level)

I've planned to add info page to inventory that shows stats of an item in style similar to shops.

19. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Hello,

Just submitted 1.3.1. Its mainly a bug fix release that finally fixes the crash with dagger in the weapon shop.

There are couple other changes too:

*Low level monsters drop some stuff to make start game a bit easier
    *Gold piles are a bit larger
    *Ambient sound is a bit louder (no chance to adjust yet)
    *Fixed couple items to non-pickable that you could previously pick (some hidden items and bones)
    *DPad-movement. Now, this is somewhat experimental now and I'm happy to hear ideas on how to improve it. You can tap and drag anywhere on map to move around, however, you can only interact (pick etc) by tapping over when adjacent to object. When wielding a ranged weapon you can tap to any visible target to attack. Attack/wait button works as before.

Happy Mystery Object returnin'!

20. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    The update was just released, but the D-Pad controls weren't really what I was looking for. That's a good start, but you should add the UI.