Universal Cavern (by Sami Sierla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by soulinhki, Dec 19, 2009.

1. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Oh well. At least I won't be taunted with the update whenever it comes out. For my 4S I just prefer ios6 since it doesn't gobble ram quite so hard.

I appreciate the response.

2. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #722 zen_mode, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    Is release imminent? Really looking forward to the update.

3. soulinhki

soulinhki Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    The external beta test is bit delayed, so public release is not yet imminent - I'm targeting March release.

4. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Beta has been running now for a couple of weeks and could use some more testers - if you're interested in play testing the upcoming 2.5 update, just pm me (please include your email address so I can send the test flight invite). You'll need iOS 8 and TestFlight app installed.

Official release should be finally out in May

5. jono_dale

jono_dale New Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Beta testing for cavern

Hi, I'm willing to test the new beta of cavern!

6. Shadow Bug

Shadow Bug Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Beta testers?

You can hook me up for testing too;)
    t:veltsi

7. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Is the update still coming?

8. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Yes, the update is still coming, I'm ashamed that I've missed all promised release dates... Beta testing is still ongoing and now pretty much only unfinished feature in works is in-game tutorial.

Here's short gameplay clip from latest build

9. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Cavern 2.5 is finally ready and update is pending on Apples approval! :cool:

Old versions of savegames are not compatible, so you may want to finish those first.

10. evanac

evanac Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Senior Producer
    Yay, awesome news. Best of luck with it! ^^

11. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    2.5 update is out! To celebrate release, Cavern is now $1.99 until 27th. Go grab it!

12. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    The amount of awesome added to this game is amazing. Just bumped up to one of the better rogue-likes on the store!

If you haven't played it, give it a try. If you have, you will be shocked by how much this game improved!

13. Reminds me MSX Deep Dungeon....

14. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    After being on iOS6 forever I ended up moving up to ios8 when my game time on the platform took a nosedive as I played other platforms and I really wanted that call blocking feature in ios8. To put it in perspective of what this game means to me, I used to keep hundreds of games on my phone but after cutting it down to the bare essentials so I'd have some space to upgrade and just to trash games I had no intention of playing anytime soon... this game easily survived (and I'm currently down to 13 games!). So as a huge fan, it is great to see this update out today.

Some quirks so far (I'm on iOS 8.4.1 on an iPhone 4S)...

The floor of the king's room with the grid pattern doesn't look good when moving around and often clips out some of the lines. I'd suggest replacing that. Grid patterns sometimes are really hard to pull off especially if there are many layers to manipulate. My guess is, this is caused partially due to the shadow algorithm revealing the floor but somehow interfering with the pattern... but that is just a guess.

My very first game I ended up getting wiped out first time down in the dungeon at the entrance because it spawned about 5 creatures all at once and it only took a second to get overwhelmed (as the archer). Second game I only had 3 enemies spawn at the entrance and decided to be the warrior dude... so I wasn't healing after every single turn... but anyway you may want to consider tweaking the start a bit. It may be too much for new gamers to have so many enemies and thus an early restart so soon after starting their first game.

The technique to hide areas not in view is odd. Like being in the room with a bookcase (there's one in the top left of the room with the dude that sells magic items) set into the wall that suddenly it's getting picky about showing the bookcase existing since the wall next to it may be hiding it pending where I am in the same square room. Also in my second game there was an area of the cave that I could see through what I can only guess would have been a crack in the wall. I don't think it was an actual intentional crack but more like the seams between the walls didn't meet to the pixel so the algorithm thought if I stood at one specific spot that I could see this other area. Oddly enough too... the other area wasn't even part of the current walled off zone.

One last note for the moment, when I leveled up (and it's been a while since I played the old version of the game) it gave me some points to spend on my character. However nothing actually said how many points I had to use. I figured out it was two points but it was odd not to have any idea of points available.

I'm only pointing out stuff to help out... don't take any of it as the typical moaning and complaining seen on the web. This was always one of my favorite ios games... I'm happy to be back in it and playing it again. Thanks for the update.

15. evanac

evanac Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Senior Producer
    It says in the Tutorial that you have 2 points to spend when leveling up IIRC. :) Great job on this Sami. Great! :D

16. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I didn't see the tutorial since I already had the old version of the game with save data when I updated. I noticed I can turn it on, but I'm now many floors deep into a game and I want to see how far I can go this time around. Next game though I'll turn the feature on and check it out.

17. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    First of all, Thank You for super great feedback! Good points on grid floor graphics and monster placement near the stairs (this seems to be issue mostly in very first levels since they are so small) - will fix these.

As you noticed, the new visibility calculation works differently in rooms and caves. This is a compromise I had to make since otherwise closed doors and objects on top of walls (signs etc) would be partially hidden. It is a bit quirky, I agree :) The crack that allows you to see through sounds like a bug - will investigate this. Maybe I should add the old blocky visibility calculation back as an option for those who prefer it.

Bugfix update is already in works (couple nasty item bugs slipped into 2.5.0) and should be out next week, will address these issues in it too.

-Sami

18. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Sami this has been one of my favourite iOS titles since release and thank you for the continued support!

Do you have any future plans to work on a new game?

19. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Super happy and impressed with the update. It has been crashing quite a lot though. It usually happens when I either try to use the resurrect scroll or pick it up. Also it wasn't an issue until I got deep in the run, over half way I believe. Especially after I got the follower.

Besides that, this is no doubt one if not the absolute top straight roguelike available on App Store. Again excellent update!

20. DeNappa

DeNappa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Netherlands
    This is a game that has been on my watch list for a while but kinda forgotten. this update prompted me to finally buy it and I'm not disappointed!
    Been playing only mystics so far. Requires pretty careful play. The first one died two steps from the stairs surrounded by two bats he couldn't hit with his wand :D