Universal Cavern (by Sami Sierla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by soulinhki, Dec 19, 2009.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Curiously I wonder if Cavern 2 would be worth tossing up on KickStarter; that's a shame funding didn't make it. It's a shame to see so much effort lavished on Cavern 1 without obvious return on investment.

Nice! It took forever to get use to the current user interface icons.
    You can say that again.

2. Captain709

Captain709 New Member

May 22, 2014
    love the game it's really great....... only had one lil problem. When your in the biggest maps of cavern it seems like the game will exit out after so much loot accumulates on the ground... or at least that would be my guess. Anyways what I'm trying to say is that when this happens redoing entire floors multiple times, making multiple trips with gear (bones, potions, ect) can be frustrating, and undoable from what I've seen. I would greatly appreciate if this could get checked out or if anyone has an answer. I was actually going for #1 but yeah I got bummed out and quit :p

---Captain

Best iOS game ever

3. Broadsword

Broadsword Member

Feb 20, 2014
    That happened to me a few times when I first played and was storing lots of loot on the shop floor. Could be a lot of reasons, so your best bet is to save by switching out of the app, and back into it. Do it at opportune times, or when you feel a crash coming on. There may be another way to save as well. This way you can avoid having to walk all the way back without teleporting. Though if it's crashing a lot it's bound to happen. Good luck getting #1
    ;)

4. Luka Sarts

Luka Sarts Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Product Manager, Software
    South West England
    Unresolvable Crashing???

Hi there, I'm massively enjoying the game and looking forward to the future enhancements.

Today on two separate devices I have tried to go back to a game in progress only for the app to crash back to the iPhone 5s and iPad 3 home screen.

In the past simply closing the app and re-opening cured this. But on the iPhone I've re-booted the phone, re-installed the app, but still the app gets no further than the scenery screen.

Both times the 'saved game state' was the player in the magic wand shop rather than any dungeon levels.

Any other thoughts on how I might be able to get back to playing?

5. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Have you tried rebooting your iDevice? That might clear the RAM and boost past the crashes.

6. soulinhki

soulinhki Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hello all!

It’s been ages since last Cavern post and the infamous 2.5.0 update development has been taking much longer than originally planned.
    Update is finally nearing completion (beta will likely start next week) and should be ready sometime in February. In the meantime you can check out the preview gameplay footage from current alpha build. (recorded from Airplay stream so really choppy framerates at times) Some ui elements are still a bit out of place but you can see the new particle effects, field of view and UI in action.

What’s changed
    - Completely redone sounds (by a sound pro, not me :)
    - New custom field of view algorithm combining both tile and vector based methods
    - Rewrote game logic in Swift (previously lua that caused many hard to debug crashes)
    - New user interface graphics
    - UI better fitted for iPad
    - Improved movement: you can tap and hold to plan your movement, if there are multiple possible actions a prompt is shown (previously it was impossible for example to swap places with ghost instead of picking item under it)
    - Town layout is changed a bit, there is more background story too.
    - Game balance adjustments
    - A ton of bugs fixed
    - Requires iOS 7

Regards,
    Sami

7. evanac

evanac Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Senior Producer
    Hey Sami, remember me? ;)

I just replayed Cavern the other day. it's one of the few games that will never be deleted from my iPhone! ^^

If I could participate in the beta that'd be great!! Huge fan of LOS in roguelikes, so that'll be nice to see.

Good luck with it!

On a side note, my PS Vita firefighting roguelike, Flame Over, is finally nearing completion after almost 2 years. Excited to get it out there. :)

8. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    When a character dies and you start a new game, can the new hero find
    where the old hero died and retrieve his gear?

Thanks

9. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Currently no as it would make the game quite imbalanced - you would eventually end up with the best gear. However, I like how it would create some continuity to different runs. Maybe if the corpse would be placed to deepest level reached instead of the level you die it could work. Will investigate this one.

10. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Hi evanac & congrats with your own project!
    Of course you are still welcome to the beta. Beta will be distributed with new TestFlight so you'll need iOS 8 and TF app. More testers are also welcome, for others interested just PM me and I'll add you to the list.

BR,
    Sami

11. evanac

evanac Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Senior Producer
    Awesome, I am on iOS8 and already have Testflight so good to go. ;)

Can't WAIT! ^^

12. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    #712 Artfoundry, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    You could have it leave just one random item - a piece if equipment, consumables, or gold. Maybe even have the rest scattered among the inventories of the monsters on that floor and below, having ransacked the body ☺.

13. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Looking forward to the new update; TestFlight ready.

If there's any chance of an Android port then I'd be down for that too; is any possibility of an Android port?

14. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Bought this way back and never got into it.. Anticipating the update

15. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    #715 soulinhki, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    There are no plans for Android port currently as it would require rewriting the game with some cross-platform framework. I did start work on Unity 3D version of Cavern last year but put that on hold as it would have been pretty much full time job for months. That said, port is not out of question if Cavern will someday gain enough traction to make port worthwhile.

16. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Good ideas - will consider these :)

17. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    @bolded part

- Requires iOS 7

I was amped up till then. Would you consider compiling it for iOS6 or better? This has never left my iPhone since I bought it as it's one of my favorite games. I'd love to be able to play the update on my 4S without having to go to iOS8 (since it's hard to just go to iOS7 without jumping through a lot of hoops). I'm not sure what the deal is for changing the minimum requirements... but if there's anyway to compile it for 6 as well then it would be awesome. Many other devs have done it so I know it's "possible" though not sure if there's some specific iOS7 feature being used here that can't be used otherwise.

18. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Unfortunately iOS 6 compatible build is not possible anymore since large parts of Cavern is now written in Swift which requires iOS 7 or later. Sorry about this. Cavern is very playable with 4S on iOS7 / iOS8 though.

19. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Hey Soul,

Have you considered a sequel to Cavern? In my opinion it's one of the best dungeon crawlers on IOS. I've tried most of them and some come close, but nothing dethrones it.

20. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    There's some plans for more story/quest driven sequel if Cavern gains more traction after update. I've also thought about "endless" mode spinoff for Cavern but I think I'll just add it as a new game mode to base Cavern at some point.