Universal Cavern (by Sami Sierla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by soulinhki, Dec 19, 2009.

1. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Ahh... I thought the shop was where the portal appears when you teleport back into town... but seems there's no shopkeeper there - found one elsewhere ;-)

Thanks!

2. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I'm not big into rouge-like games, but for a couple bucks I figured I'd give this one a try. :D

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There are three shopkeepers. The shopkeeper in the blue robe by the portal sells magic artifacts - rings, amulets, etc. Just above is a weapon/armor shop and to the left of that is an item shop. Don't skip the northern most room because that has free random weapons/items at start. Also, for kicks consider trying to get an enemy to follow you through the stairs to town and see if the guard can finish it off for you.

4. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Its rewarding to hit your statue every time I load up a game.

Ghost army of - Orlandos only remind me of my failures.

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It's a great feature to see other players in the game, as ghosts and whatnot. I think an Orlando specter scarified himself to save me - I will never forget that.

6. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    This is a pretty cool game, but like a lot of old school games straight up hard at the start. Still pretty cool thus far.

7. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I haven't seen the guy that I used to loot for great stuff. My Orlando's usually have scrolls or worthless fruit.

But seriously, the recycling bin is an awesome feature and it feels like I am getting way more gold than before.

Plus the damage, xp, gold pick up text are a lot clearer.

8. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Wow this game is awesome. What a great purchase. :D

Difficulty is not as bad as I was first experiencing.

9. soulinhki

soulinhki Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Thank You all for great feedback!

There will be a small bugfix release next week fixing mainly typos and some immobile monsters in endgame.

As said, focus of next major release is tutorial and new optional control schemes. I'm really liking idea of introducing more ways other players could show up in game and also idea of planting crops is interesting. I've also been thinking of possibility that you would have persistent home in surface town you could decorate and expand - maybe store some items for next game etc. We'll see ;)

10. walmartpolice

walmartpolice Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    XD I'm a little upset.
    Forgot to change my name at the start.
    I'm now the sixth ranked warrior "sir valiant"

Guess I'm happy just knowing I returned the thing though.

11. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    All the ideas sound great. I'd love a town above that's fixed and chests to store stuff in. As is though, this game is awesome!

12. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Just wondered if anyone else has hit a bug that I seem to have? In the 8th (I think) level dungeon I come down the stairs and can't move. I can do anything else, pick up drop, use scrolls etc but not move. I've started a new game got to the same point and the same thing has happened..... Very annoying as up until this point it's been one of my GOTYs. I've sent the dev a message just wondered if anyone else has the same issue?

Also it appears to be a non randomly generated dungeon, at least the start of it has been the same twice - square room 2 torches at the top and 2 staffs at either side of the corridor at the bottom.

(Not sure if it was caused by the recent update as I hadn't got that far before - I'm on touch 5th gen iOS 7)

13. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    That hasn't happened to me at all, and I've been past that level. Dungeons, from my understanding, aren't completely random but instead pull from a pool of dungeons and then may be flipped or whatever. However it's done I've had plenty of unique dungeons in the game during each play such that I could have sworn every level ( other than the town ) was new.

I k ow it was mentioned that items placed in the dungeon would stay, I tried this in town too and was able to store a ton of stuff on a block. So I've built piles of stuff I don't need with me by that I didn't want to sell. It may not be organized in chests, but it works quite well. I wonder though, if I die, will the loot I places in town still be there? I'm sure eventually I'll figure that out.

14. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Apparently this bug appears in "Catacombs" level, I haven't been able to reproduce it myself but will look into it today. Start of the catacomb level is always fixed.

You can drop any amount of items anywhere in the game and they will persist during game, but at the moment they won't be transferred to new games.

15. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Ok, I think I resolved this one, it's a bug introduced in 2.1.1. Bug may unfortunately limit movement in other levels also, good news is that after bugfix release you're able to continue game.

Already submitted 2.1.2 to AppStore.

16. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Good job on the bug hunt. My current character was killed stupidly by the bachatarian (sp?) chief. I thought I healed when instead I must have cured. Doah! I may wait for the update to start again.

I like that as a fighter I could choose to up my intelligence enough to use magic. Switching between a firewand for long distance attacks and a sword was pretty effective. Usually games don't allow crossing of types like that so it is refreshing that this one does. My next and I may be an adventurer with beefed up strength to handle swords.

17. TheJoey4

TheJoey4 Active Member

Jan 30, 2013
    I agree that this game is pretty awesome! Sadly, I am also
    Stuck with the movement bug. Ill wait for
    Update if theres no other way around it. I enjoy the geat ive collected so far to retire haha. But yeah, highly recommend this game!

18. paradsecar

paradsecar Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I'm loving this new update. Great job!

I experienced a bug and I'm not sure if it's the same that others have mentioned. I came across a scroll on the cave floor and I couldn't pick it up or even walk around it. Thankfully it was in a corner and didn't impede my progress.

Also, thought I would offer a suggestion. What about a 'hard' mode where you can't use the Surface Link in the middle of combat? That contraption is a little too helpful when you're in a tight spot. ;-)

19. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I was looking at updates available last night and noticed I hadn't even upgraded to 2.1.1. So no wonder I hadn't encountered the bug. I'm usually slow to update games I care about.

Question:

How does the surface link work? Is it just an unlimited town scroll warp thing or something different?

20. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    #600 soulinhki, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    It's basically an unlimited town portal, but it's quite heavy to carry so there's small penalty. Also in end game, you can use surface link to teleport to level 5.(scrolls teleport you only one level up in end game)