Universal Cavern (by Sami Sierla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by soulinhki, Dec 19, 2009.

1. soulinhki

soulinhki Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hi all!

Sorry for long silence on Cavern but real world issues made me to keep a long break on development.

As mentioned in this thread, 2.0.4 update was in beta testing before summer and I've now finally been able to restore development on that - there are some minor things to fix before release and at least one beta.

2. seiji

seiji Active Member

Mar 20, 2010
    hi, when I get the mystery object, I'm around lvl 16, how players can be lvl 25+ in the hall of fame?

3. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Level 25 characters are likely some sorts of abuses of a bug I'm unaware of (any tips are welcome :) ). In current version you should reach about lvl 16 if you kill all monsters on your way down (there might be a little variation due to splitting monsters)

Next version will reset high scores due to different game balancing but I'll add some sort of metrics to game to figure out where the xp is coming.

Also, if any of you are interested in beta testing the upcoming update, please PM me, could use maybe 5-10 new testers (betas are distributed via TestFlight)

Regards,
    Sami

4. seiji

seiji Active Member

Mar 20, 2010
    #564 seiji, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    Yes you should erase this hall of fame, It's impossible to be in top 10 :)

When we get the mystery objet, you should repop all the monsters (and bigger/stronger monsters) for those who want to get more lvl and get all the way back in the hard way.

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Please keep me on board for beta testing, Cavern is a gem and it's fun to see what else this developer comes up with.
    I think something like this is already in place.

6. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Undeadcow, you should be still in the beta test team, check your TestFlight mail for latest build (seeded today) ;)

And yes, all the levels should be repopulated (with a bit different monsters) after picking up Mystery Object but there was bug in at least 2.0.3 that prevented this from happening :confused:

My apologies for 2.0.4 taking forever (should have released separate quick bugfix release to fix these issues...) but hopefully the new features and content will make up the wait.

7. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Just submitted 2.0.4 to App Store for review - update should be online in couple of days.

There is one feature omission from this update, "slide to move" -movement. It turned out really hard to implement well due to how game engine handles turns currently and I decided to focus to that one in next update instead.

Otherwise, changelist is way too long to list here but here's some major ones:
    -Reworked animation engine for smoother animations and scrolling
    -New items and monsters
    -Monster may transfer between levels if next to stairs
    -Altars and Fountains that give random effects (blessings, curses, spawns monsters, gives items etc)
    -Many bugfixes to bugs that could be exploited or would prevent gameplay
    -iOS 7 compatibility
    -Completely new and separate highscore server, so now is your chace to make it to the top 20 :)

Will post a gameplay video later today.

8. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Here's some early levels played with Figther class (recorded straight from Airplay stream so framerate is a bit choppy)

9. MrOgre

MrOgre Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Can't wait! So glad ghosts can follow us up and down levels now.

10. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The new build is a lot of fun, especially with monsters that chase you and ghosts that can climb stairs (ghost armies rule). The altars/fountains add a nice random element.

11. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Can't wait either :)
    Actually the update is now rebranded as Cavern 2.1 to better reflect quite big changes in it.

Planning for next update is already started and in addition to swipe movement the focus of next release is likely adding a tutorial to Cavern.
    Also have some ideas about adding more gameplay elements (in addition to ghosts) that depend on previous games (both your own or others)

12. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    2.1 update is live, any feedback is more than welcome!

13. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Hi,

To celebrate new version, Cavern is now in $1.99 sale until Sunday.

So go grab your copy if you already don't have one!

BR,
    Sami

14. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Oh I didn't know about this! Just snapped it up.

If it's even remotely similar to 9th Dawn it'll be awesome.
    (Sadly 9th Dawn is now unplayable for me as it no longer autorotates)

15. MrOgre

MrOgre Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    #575 MrOgre, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    Suggestions...

1. Final statistics should read "damage dealt" instead of "dealed."
    2. I was quite proud of my stats... There should be some way to show them off.

BTW, I'm the level 27 Myrtle on the board. :D

16. MrOgre

MrOgre Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Fountains for Myrtle's journey were poisoned, summoned a huge demon, a couple powerful guardians, drained her INT, blessed her, and gave her enough XP for one level. Fun!

17. seiji

seiji Active Member

Mar 20, 2010
    #577 seiji, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    cool an updated!!
    i'll build another character.

I have a silly idea. We should get seeds, like carrot seed etc... We plant them in the grass of the first floor, and after a few time, we get carrots to eat!

18. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Wow this is good now... I bought it when it was first release and didn't like it so removed it from my device. Noticed today that it was still very active and retried and... WOW it's so good! Nice work!

However... can you tell me how I can sell stuff at the shop in town? Can't work out how to do that...

19. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The new enemy death animations are cool. It's rewarding to see them sort of splatter to the ground.

20. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Talk to the shopkeeper.