Universal Cavern (by Sami Sierla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by soulinhki, Dec 19, 2009.

1. brittspace

brittspace Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Movement controls?

Are we going to see updated Fargoal like swipe controls?

2. sanitymops

sanitymops Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Yeah, I think I agree after playing it on both. This game is really a gem. I am happy I gave it a shot. Lots of cool loot and nifty little game mechanics. I specifically like how the fog of war works. With my adventurer I have to take wide corners so I see the baddies coming as far away as possible. Fun game!:D

3. soulinhki

soulinhki Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Alternative control schemes are being worked on - also option to switch action button to right (or hide completely)

4. SpacyRicochet

SpacyRicochet Member

May 16, 2013
    Bug report: Sharpshooter cap doesn't give damage bonus

Bug report:

Of course, I can't be sure about this, but it seems that the Sharpshooters Cap fails to give the damage bonus that the information about it mentions. With 16 Dex and Serpentins Fang equipped, I seem to be doing 12-15 damage consistently, which doesn't change when the Sharpshooters Cap is equipped.

Beyond that, awesome game :D Been waiting for something to play casually on my iPhone which isn't a arcade style high scorer.

5. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Seems that the description is incorrect - Sharpshooters Cap adds +3 levels to ranged attack which makes them hit more often. Will fix this in next update.

6. brittspace

brittspace Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Yay! I died a horrible death last night. Man, those parasites are horrible!

7. Scrble

Scrble Member

Jan 20, 2011
    HS Math Teacher
    BC Canada
    Crashed Twice

I had cavern crash twice on me today. The first time I opened my inventory and my inventory was completely transparent, I could see the names of items, but the background was just the game itself. I went out of the inventory, then back in, then used a town portal scroll and it crashed leaving me on he level without the scroll (luckily I had another one :)

The second time occurred just now when I levelled up (I am level 22) on the catacombs level. I clicked to upgrade my vitality and it crashed. Been great so far! Don't know why all of a sudden today it's telling me to quit :)

Thanks again! Amazing game.

Sir Gareth

8. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    This sounds like a device is running out of memory (I've seen this on simulator with memory debugging on). Did you have a really long game session?

This was actual bug - was able to pinpoint it with your stack trace. (Rare case when Inventory was not disposed even if the dialog was closed). Fixed in next update.

9. SpacyRicochet

SpacyRicochet Member

May 16, 2013
    Ah, is that it. Would've stuck with my leather cap of strength then. I would've like the damage bonus ;)

10. SpacyRicochet

SpacyRicochet Member

May 16, 2013
    Does anyone have a strategy as an Adventurer against the Gazer? Can't even get close enough to the stupid thing without it blasting me to smithereens.

Stupid freeze ray.

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Same here... but since then I've vowed to go back and get my vengence.

12. Scrble

Scrble Member

Jan 20, 2011
    HS Math Teacher
    BC Canada
    Invulnerability potion, if you don't have one continue on to the bottom level and grab the mystery object, then Battle your way back up, when you get to the gazer level you should be a lot stronger and may even have the potion :)

Sir Gareth

13. Scrble

Scrble Member

Jan 20, 2011
    HS Math Teacher
    BC Canada
    Yes I had a session running practically all day :) finally had a strong Adventurer. thanks for the update!

Sir Gareth

14. SpacyRicochet

SpacyRicochet Member

May 16, 2013
    In the meantime, I defeated it on the second try by constant abuse of the Surface Link stone.

"Oh no, frozen!" *teleport* *heal and unfreeze* *teleport back* *shoot one arrow*

Repeat until dead.

15. Scrble

Scrble Member

Jan 20, 2011
    HS Math Teacher
    BC Canada
    Crazy! Sounds like your strategy worked! :)

Sir Gareth

16. MrOgre

MrOgre Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Can't wait for the update with a toned down Ice Pudding. A worker ant and an Ice Pudding spawned right next to me and the ladder. It split once and between them and the ant, there was no way to survive. Had there been an alternate path downward, I would have been able to strike from a distance. Instead, I ran out of food, potions, and gold to buy them. However, I keep reincarnating and continuing onward! Thanks for a wonderfully challenging, yet uncomplicated, roguelike! :)

17. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Small status update on 2.0.4:

I've distributed the first beta to testing yesterday but there is still some work to do before final version.

Preliminary changelog:
    -iOS 5 support seems to be okay, iOS 4.3 is still unconfirmed (anyone with iOS 4.3 devices with OpenGL es 2 support please pm me if willing to test)
    -All known bugs fixed (item corruption being the major one)
    -Wells and Altars with random effects
    -Bones and some other decal items are now pickable - you can recycle them for a small refund too :)
    -Monsters in lower levels are a bit tougher
    -Mosters (both neutral and hostile) can transfer between levels if they are next to stairs
    -Yes the townspeople are not safe any more, but surface Guards attack monsters too.
    -Some new monster types
    -Some item and monster balance related bugfixes.

Tutorial level & guide mentioned earlier won't make it to this version, will likely dedicate next update for them.

18. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm really excited for these features; monsters chasing you across levels will be a great addition.

19. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    +1 this aspect intrigues me greatly. I've been distracted by Wazhack but I need to get back on this and see how unreachable your scores are now mate.

Thanks to the dev for expanding this classic of the genre. I feel indebted to you for all the hours of fun I've had with this for the small price.

20. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Liking the changes so far. Ha, Undeadcow, there's a statue with your name on it at the entrance to the town. Says you're the humble messenger of Cavern.

One thing about the ghost - up until just this moment, I thought it was possible to get trapped by him. I just discovered though that if you tap on him, you'll switch places with him. It would be much more intuitive if you could just tap past him and move through him.

I know there's a mechanic in the game in which if you tap on an area that has two routes to it with the shorter route blocked, you'll automatically take the longer route. I'm guessing that's why you can't currently tap beyond the ghost to switch places with him when he's blocking the way. Maybe you can change this though? One problem with that mechanic actually is that once your character starts moving on that alternate route, you can't stop him. That can become a major problem if that alternate route takes you through an area with some nasties.

Also, found a bug - I killed an enchanter, and in his place was a brick tile instead of the floor that was in the room.