Universal Cavern (by Sami Sierla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by soulinhki, Dec 19, 2009.

1. soulinhki

soulinhki Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Game autosaves when you change level or switch Cavern to background - at the moment there is only one save slot.

2. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Numeric dungeon level is not visible in game but Map shows the name of the floor you are on. Currently there are total of 16 dungeon levels (not counting the surface)

3. Scrble

Scrble Member

Jan 20, 2011
    HS Math Teacher
    BC Canada
    Top player

Not to be lame, but the player with the top score seems to have been caused by a bug? Level of -128 and cavern level 8. Not that I have a vested interest in this :)

Thanks for an amazing game! Bug free and totally fun.

Sir Gareth

4. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Odd issue :rolleyes: - will try to figure out how the score ended up like that (level, xp and gold seems like they have somehow overflown - hard to tell if this is a hack or bug, character seems otherwise legit)

In any case, will manually clear this entry from highscores.

Btw Sir Gareth, did you notice that your ghost appears in TouchArcade video review :cool:

5. Scrble

Scrble Member

Jan 20, 2011
    HS Math Teacher
    BC Canada
    Awesome! And apparently my name sounds like a generated name ;) it's actually my real name (minus the sir)

Sir Gareth

6. MrOgre

MrOgre Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Thank you for fixing the level transition bugs.

Encumbrance doesn't update when Pick All is used, but it does, of course, when individual items are picked.

Mystery Object level generated a single lava tile in the middle of a large, open area. Did not impede game, but was impassable.

While using a Crude Shield of Strength, whenever it was dropped and picked back up, it would lose AC value, even going negative, but it did not seem to actually effect my AC negatively. It would read, "+-40, then +-60," and so on.

Where are the ogres, ettins, and other brutish things?

How does being Cursed effect you?

Ice Puddings are crazy. The only creature that can freeze you is also self-replicating? Can we slow down their movement rate? After all, they're made of ice, right?

I play as Baelyn, yes, the top ranked Mage to date. ;-)

7. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Found the issue, fixed in next update.

Propably not a bug (if edges are properly decorated), last level can have lava pools inside "islands"

This was a good find - I got a report of items losing attributes in 2.0.0 but thought the issue was related to memory corruption causing level change crashes. Unfortunately not, there is quite severe bug in 2.0.3 that will trash item attributes if you drop them while equipped. Until then, unequip items first before dropping them. This is fixed in next update.

Only ones at the moment are (boringly named) Mud and Stone creatures that will throw stones at you. Tileset I'm using does have a ton of moster tiles (including Ogre) not yet used by Cavern so there are more to come ;)

Damage you do is halved, damage taken is amplified 50%

Agree it's very nasty, I've toned in down in each update and it's still too tough. Slow movement is a good idea, it would likely balance it.

Congratulations!

8. paradsecar

paradsecar Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    #508 paradsecar, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
    Are the names of the floors the same every time? I just got past so-and-so's Lair (can't remember the name) and now I'm on "Lower Caverns". Will this be consistent between games with only the floor itself being randomly generated?

9. evanac

evanac Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Senior Producer
    I think the names of the levels are the same every time (i.e. descending to a certain level will always take you to the Gazer's Layer, etc.)

10. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Good game finished as a Mage last night (ranked 2nd as touchmint).

Towards the end things got a little too easy tho.

1. Shouldn't be able to teleport when a monster is in sight. Might be a bit hard to program so maybe just something like if you have not been hit in 5 rounds.

2. Invulnerable potions make the last boss wayy to easy. These should be out of the game all together or maybe just changed to reduced damage (25-50%)

3. More items? Felt like as a Mage I wore the same stuff from floor 8 all the way down and back up again.

4. Sacred ring or amulet do noting but can't be cursed.

Again great game thanks.

11. lnxr0x

lnxr0x Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    Having a blast with this so far !! I've played my fair share of Nethack and Slash'em .. Cavern seems about the same difficulty level. (or maybe I'm just rusty)

Thanks for the great game !! :D

12. MrOgre

MrOgre Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    No edges, just a solid, single tile, and looked out of place.

Cool. I'd love to see a level with reduced visibility, something to curve up the mage difficulty late game. Also, a level like an underground crystal spring full of mage-like creatures. More bosses, too. Maybe randomly generated named creatures would be fun.

9/10ths of my early deaths were due to this bugger. If you slow it down, re-up its damage. Tricky mobs are good for the experience. I always did enjoy retreating and figuring out how to overcome the dreaded, blue blob.

13. MrOgre

MrOgre Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Additionally, instead of "named" creatures, you could make them glow, like a few chests I've seen lately.

14. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Great ideas! (theres a quite long list of improvements on my todo/idea-list :))

Last weekend sales were good enough (due to TA video) that I'll likely keep a week or two off my real job and focus on Cavern development. In the meantime I'm working nights to push next update out :)

15. Morgan01

Morgan01 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    Having issues getting past the first few levels. Between getting parasites and poisoning, I'm unable to have or even afford enough antidotes to survive.

16. lnxr0x

lnxr0x Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    yeah, I was having the same issue. Thankfully on my 9th or 10th run through I came across the snakeskin armor and a poison resist ring. I always purchase a town teleport scroll if I need more antidote I can bounce back to the surface and re-supply.

17. Morgan01

Morgan01 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    #517 Morgan01, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
    I found the same armor, but since I was the ranger character, I did not have the strength to even carry it. I've even tried loading up on antidotes with whatever money I have. Still run out of antidotes. If I survive the poisons, the parasites get me.

18. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #518 undeadcow, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
    Consider also using food and health items to just wait out the poison because poison will cease on it's own after a number of turns (but not parasites). If you are judicious there should be enough food and health items found naturally to keep yourself well even if having to carry poison. On the third level I usually delay in using antidotes and hang out while poisoned because I anticipate many snakes that are likely to reinfect me. I usually avoid purchasing anything in the first few floors to save up for a dexterity/strength ring/amulet (because the Snakeskin Armor and poison bow are staples for every run on the third floor and boosts are needed to equipt both asap). If avaliable so imagine if you ontrol your spending you should be able to spring for a few antidotes, just don't splurge on any other supplies. Also, when fighting snakes etc make sure to nestle in narrow corridor so only one enemy can gouge you at a time. As soon as you see parasites, manually target them (by tapping on the ideal advesary) to make sure your not wasting blows on other less harmful foes. I hope some of this helps, good luck!

I prefer the Adventurer (bow man) and usually when I start a game pump all my level up points into dexterity to equipt the bow that comes with that package. Alternatively I sometimes pump up strength immediately for that armor. I always seek out strength/dexterity boosting items to equipt asap. I often base my early game and character builds around bulking up to take advantage of the snakeskin / poison bow chest as early as possible.

19. sanitymops

sanitymops Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I am a bit late to the party because I am not much of a roguelike fan but the dev is active and that is good enough for me! I am buying it now.

Question: In your opinion, is it best played on ipad or iphone?

20. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    I like this one better on the phone size screen. Good on the iPad, but it's not like you see more of the level. And because of the layout, various menu buttons seem noticeably spread out on the iPad where on the iPhone screen you could just easily thumb them.