Universal Cavern (by Sami Sierla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by soulinhki, Dec 19, 2009.

1. paradsecar

paradsecar Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I think the dev said the fix is coming in the update that was submitted. And speaking of, where is v2.0.1?!

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I imagine fixes take time to perfect. It's only been 9 days since the massive 2.0 update (which has occassional crashes) and Apple takes about 7 days to process submitted updates.

3. soulinhki

soulinhki Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    2.0.1 update was submitted last weeks thursday but it's still waiting in review queue. Let's hope it gets approved soon.

4. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Thank you for the game. I've really enjoyed it so far. I'm determined to find out what that floating bottle is for if it kills me... Which it has many times ! No spoilers pls !

5. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Just did! I hadn't realized it hadn't come out yet - I thought I remembered downloading an update earlier in the week. O well, time to try again!

6. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Crashes still aren't fixed. :( Got two today.

Also found another bug. If you tap on the opposite side of a door while in combat, instead of going through the door, you end up closing it. Died cuz of that. :(

7. Freeman,Gordon

Freeman,Gordon Active Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yes, sadly the crashes are still there :(
    Mostly when I am doing down a level. Also when opening boxes. I had a peculiar one where it would crash on level 4 when I found a secret.
    We need to squash this bug! I love this game!

8. soulinhki

soulinhki Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    All right, good news first:

2.0.1 update is out and should fix bunch of issues.

Then the bad: level change crashes still exist :confused: (though i've not been able to crash game myself anymore)
    This version has statistics enabled so I should get better idea are some particular levels causing crashes.

Unfortunately I'm on holiday trip this week so won't be able to debug this further until next monday. Will start solving remaining crashes right next week.

9. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    It's a sign of how good this game is that I can't stop playing it despite the crashes. Good to hear they wil be resolved shortly though.

10. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    Any level change seems to be able to crash the game. I just got one using a town portal... after reloading the game the portal was gone, but I was in the dungeon again. Pretty game breaking.

Edit: This also works the other way round (at least I had this occur before the update), so if you're crashing while using the portal back to the dungeon, then you'll be in town again after reloading with the portal not activated anymore.

11. evanac

evanac Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Senior Producer
    Hey, glad to see that 'Lord Arlicus' is still in the top 5 - just!

It's awesome to see this game getting so much love. For me it's hands down the best iOS Roguelike. I has just enough concessions to usability to make it simple to pick up, but so much variety and depth that you can't put it down again.

I won the mystery object several times in the past, but 2.0 eludes me so far. Invictus!

12. Freeman,Gordon

Freeman,Gordon Active Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yes, same here! I think what really bring me back to this game is the sound details. I think it is really awesome how it sound.

13. seiji

seiji Active Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Hi, i still have crash problems, even after the update of this morning .

14. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There are still some crashes; but it's refreshing to see the developer is on it. Mystery object, here I come!

15. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Game is still unplayable on my iphone 5, crashing at least once per level, generally more. I feel like a game this broken should not be marketed. Put a disclaimer on the game at least, otherwise its just ripping people off.

16. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Crashes out on the ipad3 after a few levels descended. Just randomly -- opening a chest, going down a stair, town portal, picking up multiple loot.

When I get back into the game I try the same action/move, but can't reproduce it. Memory leak?

17. paradsecar

Jun 27, 2012
    Do enemies respawn? I keep running into the problem where I'm not strong enough as I descend into lower levels b/c my character gets swarmed and murdered mercilessly. I also run out of money a lot and can't buy enough health potions, which is also part of the problem. If enemies don't respawn is there another way to "grind" and get my character stronger?

18. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Enemies do not respawn. Occassionally I get swarmed by enemies and frequent death is a staple of roguelikes so it might be unavoidable at times (run if you can and explore other areas). Here are some things that help me:

- When there is a ghost avaliable; always shield with him (when you can attack with a projective, easiest with mage/adventurer).
    - Food items restore health, be sure to get the items in the chest and on the table in the northern room of the town to start out.
    - You can't grind downwards on lower level enemies but you might be able to charge downward and chance to snipe a higher power enemy or two.

- Consider your coin spending versus loot in dungeons. I often avoid purchasing armor/weapons so I can eventually get the surface link (if I get that far) or choice stat boosting amulet/ring. You should be able to purchase sufficient health potions with found coin.

19. paradsecar

Jun 27, 2012
    Nice...that's good advice. Thanks! Yeah, I was trying to play conservatively but years of Bethesda and Bioware games has got me soft :p. I think I will try holding off on buying weapons and armor and instead focus on town portal scrolls and health/antidote items.

20. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Any chance this game will play on iOS 4.3 again? I can't update my copy of Cavern on my iPhone. Thanks.