Universal Cavern (by Sami Sierla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by soulinhki, Dec 19, 2009.

1. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Managed to get 10th on the leaderboard. Gutted that I died stupidly but the loss was slightly helped by realising that I had narrowly beaten UndeadCow out of 10th place ! Lol.

Mind you he did his high score with a Ranger which is harder than Fighter I reckon.

Truly awesome game though. It won't be leaving my phone anytime soon. A real keeper.

2. Freeman,Gordon

Freeman,Gordon Active Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Hi Sami, glad to see you already took care of this problem. I had the issue with ipad 5. Still the most fun rogue game! Really nice to have it for ipad. I can't wait for the fix of the crash issue, meanwhile back to the cavern!

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Is there any trick to finding secret doors?

4. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    The only one I have found had a painting on the back side of the wall which was easy to spot. I haven't found more than one though so maybe others are better hidden ?

5. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I usually stumble on secret rooms (3 times now) by "accidentially" tapping a place on the wall. Sometimes I try to study the map to see if there are logical gaps where a secret room might be but that is not been very successful for me.

6. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    This is one of the few things I didn't like in the previous version---testing every spot on every wall for secret doors. :-(

7. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Secret doors are elusive but they add a great element of surprise to the game in my opinion. I wouldn't say I've sunk a lot of time into seeking them but it's fun to accidentally stumble upon them and I think they add a lot of depth to the dungeon environment.

8. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It would be fun to accidentally stumble upon them. Once you start tapping on every spot they might be, then you know you're going to find them if they exist, so there's not any bonus feeling at all, it's just that you get what you were going to get but it's a grind to get there.

I don't know if many people here are old enough to remember the original Rogue, but it had exactly nine rooms on each level in a relatively consistent layout; if there was a secret door you had to search for it, but you always had a clue where to look. Much less frustrating.

9. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Sounds like a challenge, accepted. I must reclaim my 10th place spot (or better).
    Cavern can be enjoyed without constantly searching for possible hidden doors; at least I haven't resorted to that and am not sure if many have.
    Due to precedent like this I wonder if there isn't some hidden clue to secret room locations in Cavern that no one has figured out yet. Sometimes there's inconsistent patterns on walls, texture marks on the ground, etc so I wonder if those are any cues or if it is all just random.

10. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    Also what is that damn floating bottle at the start for ? Lol

I noticed someone on the leaderboard returned the mystery object from lvl 6 of the dungeon. I haven't been searching for the mystery object as assumed it was at the end of the dungeon.

I'm going to have to take a different approach to the game after several hours charging on to the end !

Anyway my secret door was sign-posted by a picture on the reverse side of the wall. I had no idea there were secret doors without some kind of signpost.

11. Mfox76

Mfox76 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    How do you get rid of parasites ? Keep dying to them every game now killing the fun fast....

12. Freeman,Gordon

Freeman,Gordon Active Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Take the blue potion

13. soulinhki

soulinhki Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Low level characters on highscore ladder who have returned the Mystery Object are actually my test games with debug invulnerability on, they have low scores so they should drop quite soon.

There are two kinds of secret rooms in Cavern, predefined and random. Predefined secret rooms appear always in same places so you'll likely learn them over time. Random secret doors always appear in cave walls and have random piece of debris next to them (bones, rocks etc). Easiest way to spot secret doors is to read Magic Map scroll which reveals whole map for level including secret rooms

14. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    This game reminds me of Legend of Zelda. I played for a few minutes and it seems to have potential but I found that it was difficult to accurately tap on things because everything appears very small on my iPhone 3GS. I don't know if that's my fault or the game's, or maybe I need practice. I would try to tap on an enemy to shoot it, but instead it would register me tapping on myself, or trying to read a sign I kept running around it in circles. I think this could be improved by zooming in and making everything slightly larger, but that's probably not an option.

Just my 2 cents, hopefully it's constructive criticism cause I'm not trying to trash the game.

15. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    Use the button to attack. Let the auto aim select target. I understand this doesn't help for chests or doors etc.

16. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    I guess I didn't take the time to learn that it has auto aim, thanks for the tip.

17. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Hey, I found a bug. I acquired a buckler in the dungeon that was slightly better than the one I started with, but when I tried to equip it, the original one simply unequipped and stacked with the new one. If I then equipped the stack, it would always equip the old one. The only way I found to get around it was to sell the old one.

18. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Also, the game is still crashing. In the last half hour, it crashed twice while going downstairs, and just now once while fighting a snake.

On a good note, I found a secret door, and not by accident! I was looking for rubble along the walls as mentioned before, and sure enough, found one with rubble right in front of it.

19. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I know the developer is working to address the crashes; the thing is Cavern is so much fun and the auto-save system so fluid I keep playing anyway.

20. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Well he said he thought he had fixed them, so I just wanted to let him know they're still occurring. But yeah, fun game.