Universal Cavern (by Sami Sierla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by soulinhki, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Darthuvius

Darthuvius New Member

Dec 26, 2009
    I figured out that clicking on the monolith next to the gate will return you to the spot in the dungeon where you used the town portal scroll. This feature of the scroll is undocumented and it is easy to miss the monolith after hitting up the shops, i went back down the steps a few times lol. On another note the game is fun but it has serious balance issues and a gamebreaking bug. Ill send the dev an email.

2. soulinhki

soulinhki Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hello,

Cavern 1.1 update is almost ready and will be submitted as soon iTunes Connect is back online (29th dec). Lite will be also submitted including four levels and only Fighter class.

Some fixes and new features:
    -Fixed savegame corruption bug mentioned in this thread.
    -Various bugfixes related to freeze and poison effects
    -Fixed nasty game stopping level generation bug. (There are some levels that may seem broken due to secret doors but there was a serious bug too, sorry)
    -End game is more fair.
    -Predefined content is rotated & flipped randomly adding more variation
    -First tap on monster targets it, second attacks. Attack button attacks always targetted monster, or if none is targetted, targets closest.
    -When monsters are visible player moves only one tile towards the direction of tap. Doubletap when monster visible moves player as before.
    -No more iPhone default fonts
    -Added third shop for magic items
    -A few new monster types and some new content

And finally, Thank You all for your support and ideas, I'll really appreciate them. Keep 'em coming.

PS: No actual reason for limiting levels to 12, but I was a bit short on theme ideas. Future updates will likely add more levels / other content.

3. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

soulinhki, it's good to see you're dedicated to supporting this game and actively improving it. I see a lot of potential in this, and it's very ambitious creating your own roguelike from scratch! As you know, Rogue Touch got much better with each release, and I'm sure Cavern will too. It's amazing how you can think you're done until enough people play your creation and poke holes in places you never even noticed!

I'd like to chat with you a bit about Roguelikes, your game (play mechanics, monsters, items, dungeon generation methods), and ways to make dungeon crawlers accessible to everyone.

Maybe I can arrange something with you first, and then eventually create a round table discussion with some of the other major players (Fargoal and Madgarden with Sword of Fargoal, and DirkZ with iNetHack)! :D

4. falloutmike

falloutmike Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    VA
    Anyone know how big the game is (how much MB).

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While I know most of the coding talk would be over my head, I'd love to attend one of these meetings of the Roguelike super stars! :D

6. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    1.1 & Lite finally submitted - depending on Apple it should be out in a week or so (or in a few months :rolleyes:).

I'll try to upload a new youtube video (with synced sound this time..) and few screens tomorrow.

Few extra features in addition to the previous changelog:
    -Corpses of your past adventurers may end up in a level (with some loot and a guarding ghost)
    -Shops show actual stats of items sold.
    -A new method to travel to the surface : surface link. works like reusable scroll of town portal (downside is that it weights and costs a bit, scroll of town portals are still around)
    -Splitting monsters (some slimes)

falloutmike : 1.0 is about 10MB, 1.1 about 12MB

7. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
  8. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    That looks good. Looking forward to it. :)

9. TKO

TKO Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    #29 TKO, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
    Wohoo! Another roguelike! (My absolute favourite genre.) From the comments it sounds like my kinda thing. Love the pixel-art. Buying...

Okay, so now I've been able to play it for a bit: I do like this game. It feels like it was made for the iPhone (ie: the controls feel native), and that's important to me. My main gripes so far: IMHO the inventory weight is too restrictive. The hit-boxes for creatures is small enough that I sometimes walk around them instead of hitting them - any chance of a 'flashing square' indicator so I know which square of the map I'm tapping on? Then I can adjust before release maybe .. I dunno, just a thought.

I'm wondering if the enemies should animate all the time ..early on I wasn't always sure what was an enemy, and what was background art. :) But yeah.. still a great game. Look forward to seeing how it develops. Love the upcoming fonts. Perfect for a fantasy game.

10. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    1.1 Just got approved and should be available in a few hours!
    Hope you enjoy it and keep the good ideas coming - 1.1 would have been totally different without your input.

Few words about Lite : I pulled it back from the review, I just wasn't happy with the quickly done Lite-content (basically just first levels and custom end room). I'm going to spend some more time with Lite and then re-submit. I apologise if you were waiting for it but hope you understand.

Early peek on what's coming in 1.2:
    -Focus on game balance and variation
    -Performance improvements (1st gen devices should play much more nicer)
    -Most likely few different control-schemes to choose from

11. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Too bad about the lite as that is what I was waiting for. I have no problem with the price but from the video, I can't tell if I will like this or not. I do like this type of game though.

12. TKO

TKO Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Well, at least it should be a lite version that better represents the full game, when it does end up coming out. It's a neat game IMHO, and I wouldn't want it to be represented badly by the Lite version.

Random thought: The Lite version could be a 'prequel' of sorts .. the player has to fetch his favourite sword/hat/whatever before he can embark on his quest. He's stashed it in a small, and rather dangerous, secret cave. :D Once he's collected it, the Lite version is over, and the player can go on to the full quest in the paid version.

..damn, I'm at work. Will have to wait before I can try the update.

13. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    TKO, that is just such a great idea. I was planning something that is completely separate from the full version but didn't think that...

14. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I'm downloading now, I'll post some of my impressions later. I really like how you're supporting this. To often devs will promise updates and screw over everyone who believed them.

15. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Well I have played three times so far (I am not very good) and I love it. I have no idea how the updates improve on the original but this is a very good game.

I am really liking the Hall of Fame board. That is a great idea for a game like this and gives it a replay value that is normally seen in arcade type games.

I like the look of the game and the graphics really bring out the Cavern feeling of the game. I am looking forward to getting better at this game.

16. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Hey soulinhki! I grabbed the 1.1 update this morning and am impressed with your progress. The game feels better and looks better. The new fonts, extra info in the equipment... good job! I've started a new run today, we'll see how far I get in the caverns this time :D

Still hoping to talk at some point soon. Did you get the e-mail I sent you back on Monday?

Can't wait to see Cavern continue to evolve. :)

17. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    #37 soulinhki, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    Hello CommanderData,

Just noticed that you sent the email to my hotmail account I rarely check (which I actually gave you - duh) - silence was not intended :)

Getting back to you,
    Sami

18. TKO

TKO Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Glad you like the idea. It's always nice if any quest can be wrapped around some kind of story ..even if it's a little flimsy. :) And that's what most rogue-like's are about itsn't it? Find a quest, put the goal at the bottom of a dungeon, rinse and repeat. I'm amazed I haven't tired of the concept after all these years. :D (I think Ultima II was my first ever game of the Dungeons and Dragons genre. ..I got totally sucked into it because I could read English runes, and they were all over that gorgeous map.) :)

19. falloutmike

falloutmike Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    VA
    What the MotherF'er man... Got the Mysterious Item at the bottom of the dungeon and FORGOT to restock on potions before picking up... Made it to freaking level 2 dungeon and a stupid mage kept hitting me for 8 to 9s constant... Couldn't make it to the stairs... Freaking pissed right now!

20. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    falloutmike: ouch!

A small Cavern update after a week of silence:
    1.2 will be landing this week, two major new features:

1)Online highscores with global ranking against other players. Cavern also pulls "corpse" content from score ladder so you may find corpses of your friends from the dungeon :) - play nice with names, highscores will be moderated. Score submit can be turned off too. There's also statue on surface for ladder leader :cool:

2)Optional directional movement (it's a toggle in settings but can be changed during game)

Also adds shadows to monsters and items to make them easier to see, some tiny game balance adjustments and of course bugfixes.

1.3 Will be a content update with more monsters, items and levels.

-sami