Universal Cavern (by Sami Sierla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by soulinhki, Dec 19, 2009.

1. soulinhki

soulinhki Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Currently monsters have first move when you enter level (player moves first when leaving). I agree that there's still possibility to exploit this to get some advantage. Still I kind of like you can escape to upper level if you cleared the exit there. One solution would be that stairs remember the location you entered them and you would always ascend back to that location, think I will change this.

2. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    By "currently" you mean in 2.0? I'm pretty sure in the current game on my device, I get to move first when leaving the level and the monsters on the new level when I arrive don't get to move before I do. I can understand why it's this way (it sort of sucks to move to a new level and some monster blasts you before you can do anything) but there is a bit of exploitability there. In most roguelikes you go up or down the stairs and end up on the same space (the space with the stairs) which makes it less exploitable. I agree remembering the space you left and returning to the same space might help. Another possibility is that the very first time in a game that you enter a new level you get the first move on that level, but if you return after leaving the level then the monsters get a reaction move.

3. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Hi,

Looking for a few more beta testers for Cavern 2.0 - PM me if you're interested. Test builds are distributed via TestFlight so you'll need to sign up with service if not already.

Best,
    Sami

4. seiji

seiji Active Member

Mar 20, 2010
    sup,
    I played cavern a few weeks ago, I loved this game, but everytime I closed the app, the game crashed (with my save slot with it).
    Any news?

5. sokaroka

sokaroka Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Woah game from 09, and the dev is still around and updating with community feedback.
    Can't believed I missed this one, looks quite good.
    I'd be happy to help beta test, I don't own the game though.
    Otherwise I'll def pick it up when 2.0 comes out.

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I can confirm the v2.0 beta update is looking very solid on my iPhone 5 so far! :D I'll let you know if I find anything off.

7. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Unfortunately there are some nasty bugs (software ones :rolleyes:) in the old version - If you are unable to restore game I can only suggest that you make a clean install and start a new game.
    I'd love to do a bug fix release to original Cavern and release it as free app but unfortunately I lost sources to couple last updates and I only have sources up to 1.4 version...

Hopefully you'll be happy with 2.0 release!

8. evanac

evanac Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Senior Producer
    Got 2.0 up and running now. Looking really good and LOVING the UI changes for the most part.

Like I said I'm pretty busy with my own dev commitments at present but I'll do my best to help out with 2.0.

How are you collating feedback from your beta testers? Just via the TA forum or do you have some bug reporting system set up?

Let me know and I'll try and make a start adding bugs at some point this week. Although, so far it seems to be working pretty great! :) Can't think of any additions I don't like so far! :D

9. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    You can use TestFlight website to send me direct email feedback related to beta builds (there is leave feeback button) - please don't use the TA forum or private messages for that. However, all testers feel free to post your general impressions etc from 2.0, there's no NDA

10. Cheeseball

Cheeseball Active Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Product Trainer
    United States
    Sent you a request through PM. :) I'm anticipating the new release. :)

11. evanac

evanac Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Senior Producer
    I've written some feedback but can't see how to get it to you on the Testflight website. If you could point out what I need to do hard be great. :)

12. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Reply to the Test Flight email should get a response to the developer.

13. evanac

evanac Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Senior Producer
    Thanks for the help. Feedback sent! :)

14. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Small status update:

Cavern has been in beta test for couple weeks now and finally starts to be ready for submitting. (likely end of this week / early next week)

In the mean time, here's couple screenshots from early levels
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Glad to see this one being updated, it's a great roguelike! :D

16. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Based on my beta testing experiences, this is a very good rouge like. Best of all, the new version is Universal.

17. Freeman,Gordon

Freeman,Gordon Active Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Excellent! I can't wait to play Cavern on my ipad! This game is awesome!

18. Kraudi2k

Kraudi2k Well-Known Member

May 24, 2012
    Male
    Any update? When will 2.0 launch?

19. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    I'm targeting next monday for submitting 2.0 to AppStore - some in-game texts are still being proof read. If there's no surprises in review process, update should be live sometime end of next week.

20. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The beta testing of the update has been a lot of fun; you all are in for a treat... or if Cavern is as new to you as it was to me then you'll want it on your "to watch" list.