Universal Cavern (by Sami Sierla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by soulinhki, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Yeah come back! I wanna buy the game!

2. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    same

3. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Whatever happened to this game, is a shame is not available at the moment. This is a great rogue game that gave me a lot of fun hours. I hope it will be back soon.

4. soulinhki

soulinhki Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hello all Cavernites,

First of all, my sincere apologies for total silence on Cavern, but the fact is that I've been super busy with real life projects like work, family and studies and I just had to put Cavern on hold to let me focus on those.

Cavern was pulled from AppStore due to me not noticing changed paid application agreement and agreeing on it on time - this is fixed now and Cavern should re-appear as soon as Apple processes my request.

Also, I guess this is a right moment to tell some news on Cavern. No, the development has not ceased, but has been slowly progressing since January and I'm now hoping summer release for Cavern 2.0. New version is pretty much complete rewrite of original game with much faster graphics, more versatile dungeon generator and a ton of new items and monsters. I'll post gameplay video from development version in near future.

Regards,
    Sami

5. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    #305 soulinhki, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
    Edit: Back at least in US store.

One word of caution - High Score server is not running at the moment, I'll try to figure out how to get that back online. Cavern should be still playable though - but obviously ranking and top 20's are offline.

Cavern is on .99 sale due to this.

6. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Oh my god this is awesome. I just checked again to see if it was back yesterday. So glad I get to purchase this. Thank you!

7. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Sounds cool! Thanks for the update.

8. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    This game is in my TOP 3 rogue games in iOS along with Rogue Touch and Fargoal.

I'm lookin forward to play that 2.0 update this summer!!! :)

9. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Finally figured a way to re-enable Highscore server for Cavern - it's back online now (with all the old scores, ladders will be resetted with 2.0).

Cavern is still $0.99 until version 2.0 lands, if you want to "experience" the old gameplay or pick a cheap copy.

I'll try to post some early gameplay videos from 2.0 later today.

10. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Oh yes! Another Finnish developer! Wow, we're owning the App Store: Rovio, Remedy, Mountainsheep, this and many more :D Hyvä Rogue peli muuten.

11. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It's back to $2.99, but no version 2.0 yet. Soon? Universal??

12. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Hello,

It's been too long silence with Cavern 2.0 but after almost complete rewrite of original, it's now close to release… Still some balancing, small issues to be fixed and game testing to be done but hoping to submit for approval in next couple weeks.

Some highlights:
    -Pretty much complete rewrite to original
    -OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics
    -Universal App & iPhone5 support
    -Random item attributes (not completely unlike diablo 2 prefix / postfix system)
    -Some new gameplay twists like friendly / neutral characters
    -New dungeon generator with support for secret rooms and buildings
    -Some new monsters, many old monsters have new unique behaviors
    -It will be update to current app, so no more Cavern 1.x

Requirements:
    -iPhone 3GS and up
    -iOS 6

Check the preview youtube clip: (sorry about bad framerare towards the end, this was recorded from retina airplay stream and my laptop couldn't quite handle it)

Best,
    Sami

13. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
  14. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Looking forward to this. :)

15. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    Can. Not. Wait.

16. evanac

evanac Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Senior Producer
    Just wanted to say I finished Cavern for the first time today and it's AWESOME. I am tweeting about it and spreading the word. You should be very proud of creating such a great game. :)

My first clear run got me the following stats (not sure if good or not):

GP: 4004
    XP: 16096
    Turns: 13903
    Monsters Killed: 302
    Damage Dealt: 10745
    Damage Taken: 1152

Score: 31355

I did that with the Fighter guy. Next up Wizard I think! Thanks again - easily the best Roguelike on iOS - and I've got almost all of them. ;)

17. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Been playing the current version in anticipation of the new release, but it seems too easy. I can kill any monster by luring them next to the stairs and then doing down and up so that I crush them. Is that intentional? I don't get any XP that way, but you can kill most monsters for XP and just use the stair trick when necessary.

18. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Squishing monsters when descending stairs was intentional feature but amusingly found out too that people were abusing it to kill all monsters :rolleyes:. Feature is gone in 2.0 as the player tries to descend to a any free tile near stairs (previously tile was selected by random).

19. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Great to hear you liked it, much appreciated! I've tried to keep the atmosphere and gameplay as close to original as possible with 2.0.

20. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It's still exploitable if the enemies don't move when you go up and down the stairs. You can go up and down until you end up not adjacent, then shoot at them, and repeat. Of course you can also go up, heal, and back down. It should be the case that after you go up or down the stairs, the enemies get a chance to move/strike.