Universal Cavern (by Sami Sierla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by soulinhki, Dec 19, 2009.

1. soulinhki

soulinhki Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    postmanmanman,
    You're correct, I did know there is in-app purchase to reach past level 15 but didn't know the price. Ouch.

2. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    1.4.6 finally approved. (App Review team seems to work on weekends too :))

3. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    There is a nasty bug in 1.4.6 and 1.4.5 that causes sometimes different item to be used from inventory than user selected. Will submit 1.4.7 today to fix this.

4. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    So I've got RT, SoF and 100R on my touch now. In those TA threads Cavern keeps popping up...

Looks like a more authentic approach to the roguelike. :)

5. ThatRevChap

ThatRevChap Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2009
    I finally bought Cavern today. It's been on my radar for ages, but I finally bit the bullet after reading the 100 Rogues thread. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

6. Rumblecat

Rumblecat Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Thailand
    I like it a lot, especially once you buy the town portal and can nip back and forth between the dungeon and the safety of the town. There's some quite satisfying about vanishing mid-fight to nip to the shops, get some food, get some weapons, and appear back in the same place to wreck vengeance.

7. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I do like this game, but even using the portal stone it gets somewhat monotonous for me to have to return to the surface and keep descending again every two levels or so just to keep items to restore my health. Also, I spend the lion's share of my gold on health potions. Due to the small inventory and time spent returning to the surface and then diving back down, it does hurt the game for me significantly that you can't regenerate health without using potions.

8. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Funny--you made this post while I was writing essentially the exact opposite in my post. Ah well, maybe this one just isn't my style or something.

9. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Yeah, I guess it depends on personal preference. At times the running or teleporting back and forth for item selling and buying is bothersome, but when you really need it, its *great*!

Cavern, like 100 Rogues, at least decided to break out of standard conventions for roguelikes and try something new. Rogue Touch has the excuse of being a tribute to the original grandfather of the genre (at least that's my defense. get off my lawn!)... But going forward it'll be games like Cavern, Fargoal, 100 Rogues, and hopefully my next game that will be at the forefront of a new roguelike generation :)

Watching for the latest bug-patches for Cavern to arrive soon, and looking forward to the next expansion of the game and new content as well! :D

10. smirnoffsky

smirnoffsky Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Yeah, Cavern is a very significant roguelike to me, as much as RT reintroduced me back to this genre in the iDevice. These two games, along with SoF, DS and 100R makes up my current iPhone collection. All wonderful games.

Question is, how do I abbreviate this game? "C"? lols

11. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    Whats DS? And don't forget iNethack!

12. smirnoffsky

Feb 16, 2009
    iNethack?! Where??!! Damnit how could I have overlooked that one! :)

DS meaning Dark Shrine. It's more like an action-RPG/dungeon crawler type of game. But personally, it feels a lot more like a dc to me.

13. johndramey

johndramey Active Member

Feb 23, 2010
    #253 johndramey, May 7, 2010
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
    I gotta say that since I bought Cavern I've been putting in a lot of time playing it. The support that soulinhki has given the game has been nothing short of incredible, the game is really fun, and it's a nice new take on the roguelike genre.

I'd imagine if you really want to abbreviate the game you could just right "cave", but since the game's name is only one word you wouldn't really need to abbreviate it.

It seems that most people play as the fighter. Do you folks think that is a function of the default character being the fighter? I.e. if the mystic/adventurer was set as the default those characters would get more play time. I'm trying to play more in the way of the other characters, and am enjoying it a lot. I wouldn't say that they are much more challenging than the fighter. Once I learned how to use him properly I honestly felt that the mystic was more powerful than the fighter.

14. ochsentour

ochsentour Member

May 8, 2010
    refillinging boxes

in 1.4.6, whenever i take items out of a box, the next time i tap the box, the items are back. the box refills endlessly, thus making collecting items way too simple.

i suppose this is a bug, not a feature:)

in 1.4.5, this never occured..

somebody else experiencing the same behavior?

15. johndramey

johndramey Active Member

Feb 23, 2010
    I'm getting it as well. The thing is though, the items are treated as one item of each type. I.e. if you have a box with a meat and a carrot in it and collect 10 of each when you go to use/sell a meat or a carrot all 10 will disappear. The 'ghost' items will take up weight and be listed in your inventory, but are not actually usable/sell able.

16. ochsentour

ochsentour Member

May 8, 2010
    #256 ochsentour, May 8, 2010
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
    refilling boxes

ty johndramey. then i hope this will be adressed in a future update

besides that, awesome game

17. Sliva

Sliva New Member

May 6, 2010
    same with me, the refilling also happens with corpses.

An interesting side note is that if the stack of items is a amulet or ring, then the entire stack is put on at once, so you have twice or more times the effect.

18. Rumblecat

Rumblecat Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Thailand
    Yeah, I think that's probably true. Come to think of it, I've only ever played as a fighter, but now my guy just hit the dust I'll try being a mystic.

There's iNethack, Rogue and NetHack out for the iPhone- all variations on nethack. They're all free as well. Although to be honest I find them pretty fiddly when playing on the iPhone, compared to playing them on a normal computer. They're not that user friendly.

19. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    How tOugh is this game to get into as a roguelike newb?

20. smirnoffsky

Feb 16, 2009
    Yeah, I wasn't aware of both iNethack... and damn there's a Nethack!! I'm glad that you guys mentioned it here :)

The controls and interface are fairly simple and user-friendly. The game mechanics are just as good. The challenge rating is a bit tougher than RT, at least for me, but nothing too hard to the point that it gets disappointing. I'd say get it, if that was your primary concern about the game :)