Universal Cavern (by Sami Sierla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by soulinhki, Dec 19, 2009.

1. soulinhki

soulinhki Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    1.4.1 is out, should propagate to AppStore near you in couple hours.

I will submit 1.4.2 with fix to relaunch bug and couple (small) extra features later this week.

2. Sweet! Hope to see it turn up in my update list soon.

3. Got the update, and so far so good. Can I just say though: I HATE THAT DAMNED GREMLIN. I can has scroll of genocide plz? Or at least make him not show up on the first damn level? Maybe save that little bastard for a few levels down? And perhaps not show up as often? One on first level, one on level 2 -- not fun when you're fighting a zombie and frozen and the little prick is robbing me blind of my freaking healing potions.

4. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    :D

Actually it would be a good idea to introduce Gremlin a couple levels later..

5. Yes, that would be a lovely idea. Say, level 20? :D

BTW, he can't change levels, can he? I want to know that if it steals something I can always get it back by way of a sword through its head.

6. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    Monsters can't change level (for now, I've actually planned that one...) so Gremlin is somewhere around.

By the way, Cavern is now featured on the "New and Noteworthy" section of App Store. Hooray!

7. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I've been poking my head into this thread for a while now...can anyone offer insight into how this plays as compared to Rogue Touch? I've watched the gameplay video, so I know it has shops and some different character classes and a different look. How about gameplay, inventory, difficulty, and depth of strategy?

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
  9. seiji

seiji Active Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I m blocked for hours now at the lvl 9, there is no "down stairs", so I know there is a secret wall, but I can t find it!
    The secret wall is only on brick wall? or is there secret wall on any kind of wall? like grey rock, yellow rock?

10. Secret walls can be brick, or stone cavern walls, or whatever. Not fire though, so no secrets on the last level. (Not as far as I know anyway; it would be kind of silly if there were though. "Oh, hey, look, this towering blaze swings openowOWOWOW!")

11. Rumblecat

Rumblecat Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Thailand
    Well, it needs a different strategy- enemies don't respawn so there's a set number of them- you can't grind your way to success. Early levels (for me) are about getting loot and selling on what you don't need, in order to finance better weapons, spells etc. It doesn't have the hunger mechanism, so you don't need to worry about finding food for that.

There's a decent level of strategy- making sure you funnel groups of enemies into narrow corridors so they only take you one on one etc. It's not super-difficult but it provides a decent challenge. Gameplay is pretty smooth once you get used to it- the key is not to go rushing around everywhere- uncharted areas benefit from a softly-softly approach. And for the first seven or eight levels (at least) you won't be swimming in money, so you need to work out when's best to use healing potions or freeze spells.

Basically it's very enjoyable. Buy it. And buy Sword of Fargoal. Because all three of them (Rogue Touch, Sword of Fargoal, Cavern) provide different experiences, and they're all very good. And very cheap. I've had Arkham Asylum and Metro 2033 sitting more or less unplayed on the Xbox 360 because of Fargoal and Cavern.

12. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Thanks for that...I think I will take your advice and get them once I clear out some room on my iPod for them.

Wish I was in Thailand right now, pretty nice this time of year. Unless the annual "burning stuff and making everywhere smoky" season has started. I am pretty sure that's next month though.

13. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Congrats for getting featured by Apple! You've put a lot of effort into making Cavern a great experience, and hopefully this will pay off with some increased sales for a long time to come :D

Just started up a new game with your most recent update, and since I have to leave on a business trip Friday I'll definitely be playing in the airport and on the flight... :)

14. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Congratulations Sami! Cavern very well deserve it.

15. osiris37

osiris37 Member

Mar 16, 2010
    graphic designer / illustrator
    North Wales, UK
    Yay! finally beat the game!
    Still loving this one Sami, congrats on the new and noteworthy BTW!
    I noticed a few bugs on the journey (I don't mean the scurrying brown ones, (although there were a few of those)) there was occasional dropout as the game reset to the ipod menu, most noticeably on the gazer level (lev9?) it happened when I tried to pick up the loot the frog guard dropped (spear and a charm (cant remember which) and when I re-started cavern it put me back above ground as If I hadn't started that level, there were a few items I'd dropped too that turned into the buy option (just like juneau mentioned) when I tried to pick it up.

P.S. like that your thinking of developing an RPG too... that would be awesome.

16. GAH! I did the quit-before-it-finishes-loading thing and it turfed my saved game. :(

Definitely gotta step on that bug.

17. #197 Mindfield, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    Edit: Wrong thread.

18. k1ite

k1ite Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    Pharmacy Technician
    Loma Linda, California
    #198 k1ite, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    This isn't of too importance, but if we were to use a two handed weapon I was wondering if the sprite can get rid of the shield that the character is holding (Currently using Sword of Leech).

(Edit: Finally beat the game but I can't submit my score :/)

19. soulinhki

Dec 19, 2009
    1.4.2 will be submitted today with changelist:
    -Closing game before Cavern has finished loading does not corrupt savegames
    -You can resubmit scores from local highscores
    -Cant pick up Mystery Object from corpses anymore (1.4 broke this again)
    -You can view item stats from "pick" -dialog too
    -Fixed some memory leaks
    -Redesigned "new game" -dialog

It seems that some people are having difficulties with highscores. Can you tell if you have any access to highscore server (can you view online score boards) or does the issue appear randomly?
    Highscore server is currently on somewhat non-standard port (8082) that might get blocked by firewalls. I'm working on server space that would have port 80 free but most likely it won't make it to 1.4.2.

20. osiris37

osiris37 Member

Mar 16, 2010
    graphic designer / illustrator
    North Wales, UK
    Scoreboards seem to be fine on my ipod, although occasionally the Fighter/Adventurer/Mystic don't upload.

Man! just checked and I've been knocked off the top... twice, congrats guys, although I'm curious how I kill more creatures and yet get 8000 less points, am I smelling a slight whiff of scallywag score amending here? Seriously though how is the actual score worked out, is it on XP?

Sami, just a thought... I was wondering if you had thought of keeping the warrior types rigid, i.e. Fighter can't use scrolls, magic user can't use armour etc, it would help with replayability when you've won the game as at a high enough level the initial stats lose meaning and you can basically play the character the same was as your previous winning ones, basically I was wondering if the stat/weapon usage penalties could be active throughout the game, adventurer and mystic actually play identically from a strategic point of view.

Anyway, that was just a quick thought.

Continue the great work Sami!