Universal CATS: Crash Arena Turbo Stars (By ZeptoLab)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    No, only optional ones (to speed up opening boxes).

2. Osterus

Osterus Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    They are in fact, huge glaring problems, and will lead to huge player loss.

3. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    No, it was designed this way. Since it's free to play they need a system to gain money.

4. Osterus

Feb 12, 2011
    Terrible design.

5. vonknut

vonknut Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Terrible comments.....

You can like or dislike the game, but the things you dislike in the game is part of what makes it fun and challenging.
    E.g. The 'puzzle game' of selecting the right vehicle (body) with the right 'holes' (fitting points), and put the right weapons on them.
    And this is also where free players can even out the battlefield versus the pay-2-win players.

With only 'good bodies with enough power to fit all weapons, and holes all the right places' (ups, the sentences starts to insinuate its another type of game....), then there would be no actual gameplayvor mental challenge, only 'best weapon wins'.

I lile the game, havent paid yet.
    Does not see the fights as unfair.
    And can beat almost all players, by simply trying other builds....

6. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Still having a lot of fun with this and haven't spent a dime. Progression is slow at times (because you get stuck in a championship you can't do well in and haven't got an upgrade you need...especially a body) but there's always a next league, it just might mean waiting a couple of days to make significant progress. In the meantime you can keep earning boxes and maybe get lucky. Similarly, with the leagues, you keep all your points, so if you are at the bottom of a league, when the next one starts you will be in a better position.

In other words, the free to play model is extremely generous as long as you are ok with not blitzing from championship to championship.

Now, this COULD change over time as more people prestige, but as I pointed out earlier, those people will fly past you in championships, probably, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

7. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Absolutely loving this game. I'm Military 4star without paying, and have only missed league advancement once so far.

I think there's a small problem with the matchmaking, as I notice that it tries to match you with equal parts. The key is to bet all the time. This gives you a huge advantage. When I swap in new parts, I get a losing quick play record, but once I've upgraded them through betting, BAM near-100% win rate.

It's also important to choose your opponent right. Using a sneaky with rockets vs anything with a flapjack flipper is a bad idea.

It takes some getting used to, and at first I was turned off by the fact I don't "play" the "game" part, it's more about setting up for the metagame!

8. Osterus

Feb 12, 2011
    Having a 10 power vehicle with TWO HOLES WHERE NO PARTS WILL DEAL DAMAGE is not a challenge. It's flat out stupid design and forces players to just quicksell certain parts. NO, I do NOT want to equip my vehicle with TWO LIFTING VEHICLE PARTS. What's the point of having no rockets or the laser beams anyway? I don't want a lifting vehicle on every vehicle thanks but no thanks.

Most <12power vehicles are all garbage or are very niche.

You CANNOT even save vehicle designs and can also accidentally upgrade certain parts.

So many problems with this game... but I guess that's how it's designed to trick people into paying money.

9. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    #29 Misguided, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    You got a body with no weapon slots? Seriously? I've seen hundreds of car bodies and don't think I've ever seen that. How many times did that happen to you? Once? Twice? But here you are griping about it as if it killed your whole family.

Look, if you don't want to play or don't find the game fun, that's fine. Some of us are clearly enjoying it and it has zero to do with money. As I said, I haven't spent a penny. I do agree that most car bodies are worthless to actually use, but you can still sell them or use them for upgrading.

Being able to save vehicle designs would be great, especially if you want to use one for quick fights and another for your championship, as an example.

@Blackharon I've stopped betting parts. I can earn the little cat sigils much faster in quick fights.

10. Lunacy182

Lunacy182 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    If you have a body that has two support slots and no weapons slots then sell it. Why try to use it and complain about it not being viable.

Sounds like a user problem, not the games problem. I've got more body parts then I know what to do with. This game throws a ton of parts at you. It's your job to figure out which are best to use together. If that's to difficult for you then this game might not be for you.

11. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I don't know why I waited so long to try this game, I really like it so far. I can see why some people get irritated but honestly I've only played for about an hour and I have 4 bodies to chose from and feel like I'm winning more than I lose for sure. I like the thought needed for trying to make the best of what you have but it is very rng related on loot and also feels a bit rock, paper, scissors but you can definitely have an input to give yourself the best chance.

I'll probably keep playing this and see how things go, I don't even get irritated by losses because it's not like you really lose anything anyway....

12. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    5 stars for me

13. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Got a new vehicle body today and woohoo so happy with it I'm kicking ass now. Before I was winning probably just over half of my games and now I'm winning 90% of them.

14. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    I play only this and clash royale.

Damn good game!

15. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Made it to the two star metal league so far but struggling at the moment as I don't have any great parts that are good enough to compete on this one.

16. vonknut

vonknut Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Ditto :)

17. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    Imho GOTY nominee

18. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
    I want to edit my cat.

19. rod-

rod- Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Don't know why I'm posting but I found this game today and am enjoying it.

To the posts complaining about saving designs, screenshots? Also you can do multiple designs at once, there's a number at the bottom of the screen to swap slots. But you can't reuse your components.

Looking at the top of the leaderboard is really saddening [always the same build, but with 1000x power differences between first and tenrh] but I can remind myself that I haven't come anywhere near those players yet and should keep enjoying myself for a bit longer at least.

20. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Yeah, the multiple slots were added a while back. They didn't have that at launch.

This game is so much silly, goofy fun. There have been many times where an unexpected result made me laugh. And as long as you are patient, there is a ton of enjoyment here without spending any money. Just started my 6th prestige a few minutes ago, lol.