Universal Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (by Dancing Bottle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by zen_mode, Dec 9, 2015.

1. O'Doyle

O'Doyle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Why didn't I ever think to do this? Thx for the tip!

If I can pry myself away from CDDA, I'll try it :)

2. ikmalmn

ikmalmn Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Brogue had one of the nicest touch controls due to its simplicity yet complex in some way or another, such a great dungeon rogue-like to play :D

3. ikmalmn

ikmalmn Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    #83 ikmalmn, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    Sorry for the double post,
    But shucks! Your right! Keyboard runs even smoother than before and the cons are very minor!

In my opinion, since I use Chesthole40, the words are hard to decipher and are very ugly to look at.

4. cliffs

cliffs Member

Dec 11, 2015
  5. O'Doyle

Jun 23, 2012
    They look nice. What we need is the ability to drag them to custom locations in the in-game UI.

Btw, the game looks and plays great with fullscreen off and a much bigger terminal size set in the options. Looks nearly like my desktop version now :)

6. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    These setups are all for iPad a presume.

Has anyone found a good one for iPhone 6+?
    It seems quite difficult to get a good balance.

So far I have
    Full screen off
    Terminal width 120
    Terminate height 35
    Retroasc40

But I really wish there was a retroasc35 as 40 is a bit too zoomed and 30 is a bit too small. I've tried a few other tile sets without much luck either. Sucks. I can't quite get the right field of view for 6+. Anyone with better luck?

7. O'Doyle

Jun 23, 2012
    Talbs, try your same setup, but zoom out once. Might be helpful, since you're still using the tiles.

8. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Thanks. I was just starting to experiment with that. Thing is, zooming out on my new setting is then almost too small.
    But I generally agree that the approach is probably something like settling on a view that allows decent visibility while zoomed in, and can still make sense of tiles when zoomed out.

For that Ive been experimenting and I think having a setting of between the default and up to the one I posted above. You then have to just zoom in and out to check your environment now and then. Fiddly, but at least we have this on out phones.

9. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    Anybody know a setup for iPhone 5C? Right now I'm currently running the game with fullscreen off and default terminal settings and using the Chesthole64 tileset.

10. freedomthai

freedomthai Member

Mar 24, 2015
    i not really sure how to melee,i press F and it only work on firearms.and i can't smack zombie with S key

11. ChiefStorm

ChiefStorm New Member

Oct 30, 2014
    You quite literally just walk into the tile that the enemy is in. You automatically attack it with whatever you're wielding

12. O'Doyle

Jun 23, 2012
    I'm kinda hoping someone puts up a vid for new players specifically using iOS to play on. It would seem some are in need.

The sooner we can educate, the more popular roguelikes on iOS become! Hopefully in time we can get a port of DCSS :D

13. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    #93 Kenan2000, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    So there is no way to get rid of this disappearing keyboard thingie?Nvm,JUST CHECK PAGE NUMBER 4 OF THIS THREAD.

14. O'Doyle

Jun 23, 2012
    #94 O'Doyle, Dec 13, 2015
    To save everyone the irritation of having to reinstall it 20 times like I did, the maximum terminal size I've managed with a retina screened iPad is 170x75.

Anything larger locks CDDA up before it can display the main menu screen. 170x75 is quite playable with tiles turned off if you get close enough to the screen. It's quite a bit more playable with 40pt tiles enabled and zoomed out once.

YMMV, but there it is. Experiments over, now I'm off to die horribly :D

~od

15. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Not sure how all you guys are playing with huge 30 or 40px tilesets/ASCII. This is the sort of roguelike where you really have to see a good chunk of your surroundings, otherwise you might not realise you've been spotted and you're unable to escape in enough turns. Maybe it's just worse for me because I usually play with safe mode off. I found the balance right with retroASCII20 both on ip6 and iPad min2 as while it might not be the prettiest at this size, characters are still easily distinguishable. I'm guessing you guys are zooming in and out a lot.

Anyway, one issue I've been having is that when I'm driving a vehicle, sometimes I'm cut off from the field of view if I reach a certain speed and I have to and load again for it to re-centre. I wonder if I can re-centre without exiting. Also, can't remember if this is a bug that's come through from the desktop version as I haven't touched it in sometime. I'm guessing it has to do with the unusual terminal parameters.

16. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney

*drool*

17. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Zen mode, if you're able to send in a screeny of your 6 with retro20 that would be great. For me on 6+ and retro 20 it's redic small

18. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Here's my 6+, everything back in stock and retroascii20 tileset. I guess it's not too small to make out what's on screen?

Man, finding the right setting is frustrating. Don't think its quite achievable. I must've spent 1.5hours on this alone (with all the setting changes and restarts required.

Attached Files:

19. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #99 zen_mode, Dec 13, 2015
    Forgot to mention that I did back on page 4:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3745125&postcount=37

Also my guess would be that the higher resolution on the 6+ makes everything even smaller than what it is on the 6 , given the same viewing distance. Could be wrong here though.

20. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    This game is so deep that even the metagame of adjusting settings is deeper and more worthwhile than many of the freemium games on the chart right now.

Heh.