Universal Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (by Dancing Bottle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by zen_mode, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I was trying to figure that out too thanks! Prefer that to the digital time anyways
    Thanks again

2. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Anyone else use TSU tileset? I actually like it the most now... ASCII is too confusing not knowing what anything is

Edit: since I'm super noob I just random a character. Is that the way to go? I don't use mods cause I think that would get boring being to powerful. I guess I wanna play the game on hard mode the way it was meant to be... :-(

3. cliffs

cliffs Member

Dec 11, 2015
    #63 cliffs, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    Hello there, I would like to thank zen_mode for starting this thread. I am really appreciated. Credits belong to the original development team and contributors.

About the external keyboard issue, I will try to get a BT keyboard ASAP and try to get it working. Besides, there are still other issues need to be resolved. So you can leave feedback here. I will check it frequently. Thank you!

4. O'Doyle

O'Doyle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    #64 O'Doyle, Dec 11, 2015
    I love a responsive dev! Thanks, man. PM if you need a Bluetooth beta tester, as I'll be playing the living crap out of this game. You earned a coveted spot on my launch tray :)
    [​IMG]

5. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I would imagine that since this game uses the iOS keyboard when you swipe up, a bluetooth keyboard might actually "just work" already. Try swiping up to show the keyboard and using a BT keyboard.

One bit of feedback: I can't figure out how to tab over to the other half of the inventory screen. If you swipe up to show the keyboard, tapping the Tab key doesn't do anything?

6. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    I use the Left Right buttons that are over the X and Check mark not he right side of the screen and it seems to work. I'm guessing the Right arrow is Tab and the Left is Shit+Tab.

7. O'Doyle

Jun 23, 2012
    Tried it, but it's oddly flaky. Not sure what's going on, honestly. Something definitely isn't right

8. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    I've noticed the same thing honestly. Sometimes it works, others it pulls up the description for the item highlighted. Very odd behavior.

9. O'Doyle

Jun 23, 2012
    #69 O'Doyle, Dec 11, 2015
    Got it: with Bluetooth KB active, long-press the screen to bring up what would normally be the "permanent" keyboard in Cataclysm. If you have the BT KB enabled, all you'll see is iOS 9's funky undo/redo/copy strip at the bottom of the screen. Now your KB works as it does in CDDA normally. IMPORTANT NOTE: it ONLY works in CDDA if you bring up the in-app KB via swipe up or long touch. By default, the KB input is disabled. (This very well may be a result of how Apple wants their platform used—there has to be a reason why NOBODY has had Bluetooth KB shortcuts in their games to date. Think about that once. All those strategy and action ports, and not ONE dev thought to try to enable the Bluetooth stack? I'm betting Apple has it locked down for some BS reason, like "homogenous touch-only game interface across all apps blah blah".

VI keys work for basic movement and such, but if this is the way it's going to have to be bc of Apple's requirements to hit the BT stack, then I recommend we ask Cliff to make the UI overlay elements (x, check, arrows, & D-pad) able to be moved/scaled by the user. Also, we need the entire terminal window scrolled up on the bottom by however many terminal lines the iOS 9 KB shortcut bar takes up, because as is, it blocks the rather important message log.

There is a work-around for now, just go to the options screen in CDDA and have the message log write newest at top instead of bottom. If we could move the UI overlay elements just out of the way of the KB shortcut bar on the bottom, it would be 100% usable as-is. VI keys are great for moving in cardinal directions, but if you want to go diagonally downward at the moment, you have to hide the on-screen keyboard and use the D-pad. UI overlay customization would fix this rather handily, and probably isn't that hard to pull off.

EDIT: I forgot the VI diagonal keys. d'oh! (Y,U,B,N).
    EDIT 2: OK, the only real annoyance is in the activation of a menu choice. For example, you can navigate a get list with the VI keys, and mark to pick up with the comma key, but pressing return to pick the selected items up closes the on-screen KB strip, shutting off CDDAs access to the Bluetooth input stack. So every time you pick stuff up, you'll be re-opening the on-screen keyboard access. I'm so close to touch-free roguelikeing here that I can taste it, but not quite there yet :(
    EDIT 3: Space bar handles menu/window close/cancel, and Return confirms (and also disables the on-screen KB for some reason. Ugh.

boo

Lastly, for those of you thinking this is too much effort for too small a benefit, I'll ask you a few questions:
    * How often do you swipe up for (i)nventory?
    * To (e)xamine?
    * To (g)et? Also (,)
    * To hit the best friend of any roguelike player, the examine tile key? (semicolon)
    * To (&) craft?
    * Have you (s)mashed anything in an adjacent square yet? Multiple hits are usually required, and entering the swipe-s-direction sequence repeatedly really blows.
    * Would you rather quickly hit shift+[whatever] or have to either single-swipe up and hit shift on the onscreen KB, then your key, or double-swipe up and then hunt down the key in the UI? (MAD props to Cliff for including this menu, though! Wow, what a gem for new players!)

If you own a Bluetooth KB and you're playing without it, I feel so sorry for you :D

Hope some of this is helpful to the community. Here's hoping that we can get some sort of workaround so we can move the UI overlay elements around soon!

Wishing you the most amusing YASDs possible,

~odoyle

10. O'Doyle

Jun 23, 2012
    Cliffs, can you give us a UI element for the action menu? Might be useful. I bound the 0 key to it and I'm finding it quite helpful.

11. ikmalmn

ikmalmn Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    So far right now...again

When I restarted my IPad 2, the game runs like silk and was very enjoyable to play with the current controls (Though using a keyboard would be awesome). But never, ever use the map because it will make the game slow on the keyboard and the likehood of a crash very high. Unless however, you lower the city size (Not confirmed yet)

In the other hand, finally have one guy who manage to survive day 1 and have decent supplies after raiding a few places :D

P.S pls I need the zombie revivication mod, I need....the lua
    P.S.S Well that was...wow nice job me

12. O'Doyle

Jun 23, 2012
    Congrats, even my lumberjack didn't survive my first and henceforth only attempt at early-morning scavenging.

13. O'Doyle

Jun 23, 2012
    < and >
    :)

14. O'Doyle

Jun 23, 2012
    Just so the others reading know, my Air does BT keys and map just fine. I even turned off fullscreen and blasted my terminal size to 100x44 and it was perfect.

15. Digibear

Digibear Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2012
    So I got this on my iPhone s6 plus and I am lost. I always loved the concepts of these games (UnReal world on PC) but I've never been able to figure them out? Any tips for a new player to this genre? Should I just YouTube a tutorial?

16. ChiefStorm

ChiefStorm New Member

Oct 30, 2014
    Definitely be patient for sure, a game like this requires a lot of trial and error as well as possibly looking up guides. Honestly, once you get the controls down, or at least have them nearby as a reference, then from there just use your first few runs as experiments. One of the best parts of this game is just learning from your mistakes. Another big tip I would make early on is never attack a zombie if it can attack you. And by this I mean that in combat, zombies generally follow you in a linear path. So if you're out in the grass, trees, etc. you can bait then into a bush. The bush makes them spend extra time getting out, giving you a chance to give them a quick whack. If you're lucky like me, you'll get a fat zombie with a lot of HP but really slow. Just keep whacking on it and you get your unarmed skill up (if you don't have a weapon).

17. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Honestly I've found anything bigger than retroASCII20 on iPad to not be feasible. There's simply not enough viewable area. I too initially thought that ASCII20 was too small but then I realised that it really only looks unusably small because the font in the information panel is absolutely huge. Once I realised this, I feel comfortable at this size font. Keep in mind I'm talking about an iPad Mini as well. Also if you want to see how ridiculous the proportions are in its current state, load up a Let's Play on YouTube of the desktop version on your iPad and compare with the game open.

Hopefully there can be some improvement in this area in a future update, but it's still serviceable as is. On the other hand there might be some GFX setting that can be adjusted that I'm just not realising.

18. O'Doyle

Jun 23, 2012
    Wow, yeah. Just checked out a desktop LP and it's comically huge :)

19. O'Doyle

Jun 23, 2012
    #79 O'Doyle, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    Set terminal to 150x65 and set fullscreen to false. Restart app.

Enjoy!

(Works best with 40-pt tiles)

20. nhal

nhal New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Just to add to the bt discusion, Brogue is a roguelike port that implemented perfectly the bt keyboard imput. I've been playing that game for ages on a bt keyboard since I had an ipad 2.