Universal Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (by Dancing Bottle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by zen_mode, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Kaje85

Kaje85 Active Member

Apr 17, 2013
    When I swipe up and press a key, the keyboard doesn't disappear. I'd bloody like it too, though, as its adding an extra key press to get it to disappear to enter a command.

What am I doing wrong?

2. Nycteris

Nycteris Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Honestly I do not understand the game - only tried it briefly on PC. But I look forward to trying more now that it is portable. I understand people's frustration with the ui. But I have heard some great emergent gameplay stories about this game.

3. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I've come across some newspaper pages in my playing that points to an interesting story. Won't spoil it though cuz it's just a small piece of the larger pie anyways. But if you see a newspaper you can read the headlines and all.

4. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    #44 ItouchBrett, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    So everyone uses the ascii tile set? Why is that?

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    IMHO it's easier to tell things apart using the ASCII sets, including the fact that they correspond to the text descriptors that show on the right-hand side.

6. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Indeed. I like it more then the default too. Does the character always stay the same look? My guy is a little white guy. For simplicity, I just random my guy and play from there. Cause to manually make him.... Wow lots of stuff. I want to like this game, but it takes a lot of reading and knowing what everything is

7. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Guys,remember 3 important things:

1) There is debug menu that allows you to change the amount of skill points that you get at the beginning,I'm suggesting you to use it cause the game is hard anyway.

2) There are plenty of CDDA guides in the YouTube that explain everything very well.

3) This is a VERY realistic game,need proof?You need food,water,sleep and warmth.Simple,huh?Nope.Remember that food can rot,water can be infected so you'll have to boil it,you can't sleep when it's cold and animals/zombies or other monsters are near you,warmth can be acquired through many different and interesting ways including mechanics,electricity and common survival skills.

Oh did I mention that there is radiation,infection through biting and other nasty stuff like that?

8. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I use the ChestHole64 tile set so far it's my fav one.

9. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    I was thinking about all the releases this year, and I think this is actually the deepest, most complex game to be released all year. I really hope TA does a write up on it.

It's been a great year for iOS roguelikes in general with Pixel Dungeon, Inethack2 (maybe late last year), Desktop Dungeons, Sproggiwood, Don't Starve and soon to be coming in the next few weeks - Dwarf Fortress Remote, a highly optimised remote client for DF.

10. ikmalmn

ikmalmn Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    =Beginners Tip=
    -Research and learn from the wiki or Youtube video's as the game is very complex (later on)

-Use a easy to distinguish tileset of your liking.

-You are going to die repeatedly...over and over again, some are funny and badass while a slight other is a bit frustrating so you got to handle that

-There are a lot of different kinds of zombies (Unless you have some modifications)...some are more dangerous than others but most are squishy. If you want to know how dangerous the zombie is, examine it

-Zombie eyesight is just good as yours both day and night, so if you want to go raiding, raid at night as their eyesight is limited

-Zombies will and shall react to sound so try and minimize that

-Try and get a working transport...it doesn't have to be big or small but working so that you can get to your destination faster and safer

-Last but not least, always have fun and never be afraid to experiment and see how horribly it goes

P.S Throw your grenade after you [a]apply it
    P.S.S The same goes for your C-4
    P.S.S.S Moose are dicks and will attack you if you get close

11. nhal

nhal New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    I don't know if the developer pays attention to TA forums, but it'd be amazing to have BT keyboard support for ipad users, specially since ipad pro just came out and it would be an amazing experience on that platform with it.

12. ikmalmn

ikmalmn Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    So far after playing for 4 hours...

I some mods (Dino mod) will not work and will annoy you if you put it.
    [a]applying the map will most likely make the game unstable and crash.
    The 1 word and the keyboard goes away will not go away...for what ever reason (Though it is just a very tiny annoyance).

On the other hand...
    I died 4 times as a hobo on Day 1 and in the process...learnt that the cold are a *female dog* and some zombies are far more scarier than others,other than that, scavenging in the morning is a definite death sentence. Albeit frustrating but very fun nonetheless
    Game needs some crucial bug fixing and stability issues to work on but at the current moment, I say it's safe to play as long as you have autosave on for X number of turns :D

P.S Zombie Grabbers have 95 hp and albeit scary to face of up close and personal
    P.S.S Every death is learning what you did wrong or the fact that the RNG gods hate you

13. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Where is the actual time of day displayed because I'm not seeing it? I'm guessing that blue bar is sort of it?
    But in options menu there's a setting to change from 12 hour to 24 hour clock....but I see no digital clock displayed ever.
    Would really like to see that digital clock.

14. Pyroknight

Pyroknight Member

Mar 31, 2014
    On the right there's this bar that represents the sun's position in the sky

15. Brag-Art

Brag-Art Member

Nov 11, 2011
    I make promotional media
    San Francisco
    Thrilled to see this on iOS, played a little on PC and wished there was a mobile version. But I'm already stumped—how do I get stuff out of a locker? , plus direction doesn't seem to work, g plus direction doesn't work, and G plus direction just grabs the locker. Help?

16. O'Doyle

O'Doyle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    I asked for this on the porting dev's teeny forum. Hopefully he sees it, bc gameplay is artificially slowed due to current interface. It's not horrible by any means, but BT keyboard support would take this from a five star app to legendary app in the roguelike community.

IIRC from when we asked for this in Rogueterm, there might be a restriction on BT access inside games. Friggin' Apple.

17. O'Doyle

O'Doyle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Has anyone found a good setting for terminal size on iPad? I use the retroascii30 set (because 20 is TINY on iPad), but the terminal size keeps the game window too small. Setting it higher displays off the screen, and smaller isn't using the rest of the screen.

Is there a way to see more of what's going on around you? We're going to get horribly wrecked if we're limited to the teeny window we have now.

Alternately, can we make the ever-present status pane take up less than half the screen real estate?

18. ChiefStorm

ChiefStorm New Member

Oct 30, 2014
    If you're standing next to the locker, you can open the advanced inventory manager ("/" I believe). Then you can see all the items on the eight tiles around you. Then simply press up (assuming the locker is north of you) then the wait key to put it where you're standing. I still play on my laptop and use my number pad on the side, not sure what the app wants you to use

19. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    My process has been:

1. 2 finger swipe up
    2. Select the /
    3. 1 finger swipe up for the keyboard
    4. Switch to numbers and pick the number for the corresponding direction (8 for north for example)

20. Kaje85

Kaje85 Active Member

Apr 17, 2013
    You need to find and wear a watch in-game!