Universal Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (by Dancing Bottle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by zen_mode, Dec 9, 2015.

1. cliffs

cliffs Member

Dec 11, 2015
  2. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
  3. cliffs

cliffs Member

Dec 11, 2015
  4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    ^ Are you seeing this zen_mode? Thought you might be all over it by now.
    I might give it a try this weekend but might not get far.

5. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Well this definitely took me by surprise.

I've wanted this for a long long time now, so I appreciate the effort you've taken with this Cliffs.

Not having much luck building though. The first error I got was a missing library, MBProgressHUD, so I added that, but i'm still getting error after error, mostly missing dependencies.

I'm starting to wonder if i've loaded up the correct project file.

Is it the one found here?

Code:
    /crawl-iOS_Release/crawl-ref/source/iOS-project/src/crawl/crawl.xcodeproj
    Some other errors:

Code:
    /crawl-iOS_Release/crawl-ref/source/iOS-project/src/libraries/SDL2-2.0.4/src/video/uikit/SDL_uikitviewcontroller.m:1463:27: Use of undeclared identifier 'APPID'; did you mean 'P_PID'?
    Also, the Lua folder exists but no files:

Code:
    no such file or directory: '/crawl-iOS_Release/crawl-ref/source/contrib/lua/src/ldblib.c'
    :confused:

6. cliffs

cliffs Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Please pull from the repo and try again. And read the notes before compiling. Some libraries were not added. Sorry for doing this in such a hurry.

7. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #247 zen_mode, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    Still no luck. Im getting:

within:

I cloned the branch as follows:

and ran:

I opened the proj file in the IOS project, and get the above error.

Any ideas?

8. cliffs

cliffs Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Okay the problem is the search path for the SDL2_mixer project refers to my local SDL2, which is located to another folder other than the one in the DCSS repo. I fixed it, add some other missing files, too.

9. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #249 zen_mode, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    Thanks. It's up and running on my iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1.

I've been playing with it for 10 minutes and it's been running great so far. I absolutely love that you implemented touch controls for movement, it's much more comfortable when you can interact directly with your surroundings.

Only issue i've had so far is that the triple tap to bring up the options doesn't seem to be working. I've tried triple tapping in the dungeon, in-game menu and also the top level menu. I've also tried variations like triple tapping with two and three fingers and holding down on the last tap, but nothing seems to bring it up.
    EDIT: I've just discovered that you've added a button in the top left corner that brings up the menu.

Anyway, please post a PayPal address somewhere so I can send you though a 50. Your effort here is easily worth at least that and you've saved me a lot of time trying to port this myself later, which would have been non-trivial with this sort of code base.

The best part is that I've got the source code sitting on my computer and i've also forked it, so for once Apple can't pry this one from my hands with App Store removals. The only way I can see that happening is if Apple stopped allowing building for personal devices and I somehow also lost my backup. Even then I can just buy a developer subscription.

10. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Sorry to go off topic from CDDA again but it doesn't seem to be possible to open a seperate thread for this.

I just want to reiterate that it's fantastic that you've ported DCSS over. I've absolutely been glued to it for the past week. Please don't be shy to add a donate button.

From the extensive play I've done so far l, I can say it runs very smoothly on an iPhone 6 iOS 8.4.1 and iPad mini 2 iOS 9.2.1 Very stable with only one crash on the first day and that's about it. Almost all my time in it has been on iPhone though.

The only issues I've had have been minor or I've otherwise found work arounds:

- Minimap will not display on anything smaller than a 6 Plus. This is actually a big issue as the SDL version doesn't have a command to view the entire map so doing so is confined to manually looking around using Shift-X. Luckily however it is possible to force the minimap by editing init.txt with a setting to set minimap tiles to 1px. This will allow it to display on iPhone 6 and smaller screens.

- List of possible item actions/shortcuts when viewing item in inventory has duplicate text overlayed making it unreadable.

- Text on some inventory screens cut off on the right

- Doesn't appear to be a way to use CTRL, which means some important shortcuts cannot be accessed such as CTRL-F to search for items. There may be an interface button for CTRL-F that I'm not aware of, but I couldn't find it.

- Selcted zoom will revert to default when switching apps or bringing up the app switcher

- Attempting to move the overlay button in the top left will cause the menu button to glitch and permanently display, requiring a restart

These are all I can think of right now but will add more if remember anything else. As mentioned, none of these are particularly game breaking except the minimap issue, however there is already a work around for that.

I hope this can be released on the App Store so a wider audience can appreciate this marvellous gem of a game.

11. cliffs

cliffs Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Indeed it's an awesome game. Thank DCSS dev team. I had a lot of fun while porting it. You could support my future projects if there be any. :)

12. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Just discovered it was made iOS7 compatible. Thanks! Installing as I post ;)

13. mixolydia

mixolydia Member

Aug 5, 2015
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but after redownloading this game I'm getting an annoying bug. Randomly, the keyboard will be stuck on the screen and there's a message that says something about detecting a keyboard. I'm not using a Bluetooth keyboard nor do I even have Bluetooth enabled. The only way to get rid of it is to save and restart the game, but the bug still happens every couple of minutes. Really weird.

14. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Lol...apparently sneak KINDA works in this game and that's shagtastic!
    Having a lot of fun exploring one of "abandoned" (actually,it's zombie infested) FEMA camps during the night with flashlight,once I come across zombie hulks or other nasty scums,i lure them somewhere then while running away i turn off the flashlight and I'm safe again,brilliant!This game is truly better than fallout 1 or 2.

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    How do you find the controls on the touchscreen, and what device are you playing on.
    I gave up because I found it too fiddly, so looking for encouragement again really =p

16. Kenan2000

Nov 25, 2013
    Whatcha mean by "how do you find the controls on the touchscreen"?I'm playing on iPad 4.
    Controls...hmm...if you want to quickly activate the keyboard just slide up with one of your fingers.

As an instance,you need to craft something so you slide up with your finger,activating the keyboard,press "&",then slide up again and tap "f" if you want to search for something,then hold your right finger on the screen to activate the "non-disappearing" keyboard and write whatever item you're able to craft and you want to craft,once you're done,slide up once or twice again so that the keyboard becomes disappearing again then just tap v (ok button,pretty much) and bam - you found the item you want to create or can create.

You can "reprogram" the controls through the debug menu,if you don't like that a certain letter X corresponds with action Y and not a certain letter Z with action Y (got it right?).

It is much easier than you think,play it for 2-3 days and you'll get used to it immediately.It is WORTH IT,TRULY.

17. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I see. As you say, must be a thing to spend time getting used to. What I meant by how do you find the controls on touchscreen is basically vs a keyboard and mouse. Neat every game the keyboard and mouse is better. (Ok touchscreen is great for lots as well, don't get me wrong), but it's just this game I found was screaming for a keyboard over touchscreen.

18. Kenan2000

Nov 25, 2013
    You were looking for encouragement to play this gem.Have you got it yet?:)

19. Kenan2000

Nov 25, 2013
    I have no idea how but apparently NPCs now for some very good yet unknown to me reason can follow me upstairs and downstairs!!Just a month ago they could not even do that!Now the game is even more fun,this is shagtastic,really!

20. Kenan2000

Nov 25, 2013
    Anybody found nuclear missile silos on the map yet?I know that they exist,just curious whether someone found them or not.