Universal Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (by Dancing Bottle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by zen_mode, Dec 9, 2015.

1. cliffs

cliffs Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Yes! :cool:

2. O'Doyle

O'Doyle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Awesome. Great job!

3. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    I wish you could change the location of the gamepad and the location of the "tick" button,that would be nice.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Are you waiting to hear whether or not you should buy this game or do you need your opinion validated?

5. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Eli,most of us are waiting for review so that more people can hear about this game and not for review since YouTube walkthrough videos explain pretty much every aspect of the game.

6. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    I like the one comment on the review paraphrased: "iOSify the game so I can play it, it's too complex"

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

That's honestly why we don't put much/any priority on reviewing games like this. Game reviews for titles that are a niche inside of a niche inside of another niche do so poorly for us there isn't much reason to write them. People who like these kind of games know about them. Everyone else is just looking for something fun to play for a few minutes on their iPhone.

8. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    I completely understand. It makes me sad, but I do understand.

9. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #229 zen_mode, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    Review was reasonable for a very niche title such as this. The only thing I disagreed with was the remark about the UI scheme being the best approach without having to revamp the architecture.

A directional scheme similar to iNetHack2, without the ribbon, combined with FFT-like micro-swiping for the menus would have been my preference. I don't think this would of required tearing up the carpet so to speak, but I haven't really looked at the code base to any serious extent.

10. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Any Intel on IAP? Will there be several? Maybe a lack that includes all possible IAP?

11. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    There is one IAP, for additional sounds, at $0.99. There are no other IAP's in process from what I understand.

12. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #232 zen_mode, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    I think it was discussed previously either here or on the CDDA forums, but is there plans to make the d-pad moveable or even an alternative control scheme such as tapping around the player for movement? If so, will that be in the next update?

Edit: also, please, for all that is holy, allow me to disable the intro sound. I've woken up my parnter multiple times from that loud thing as it completely ignores the mute switch and system volume.

13. cliffs

cliffs Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Hello there. The latest update ( 1.12.2 ) now supports iOS 7. Go download it and have fun. :)

14. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    #234 Reaganomics, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    For some reason it's saying it can't be downloaded at this time. Then it allows me to choose done or retry.

Update: I was able to circumvent this issue by downloading DDAC to iTunes end then syncing my iPad. But unfortunately the screen is cropped in a way that I don't have access to the IAP sound pack or the play button. But, I know I can load games though. My other concerns are the buttons and control pad, they're flushed at the button of the screen. Holding the iPad and trying to stretch your thumbs to press the buttons in the far corners of the screen is pretty uncomfortable. Again, thanks for updating the game for older iOS versions.

15. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Cheers for the reply on the CDDA forums, really looking forward to being able to customise the controls. Will make it a lot more comfortable for me.

16. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #236 Gwarmaxx, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    thanks thanks thanks!!!!!! :)

edit > oh no, it doesn't work, the title screen is a mess!

17. cliffs

cliffs Member

Dec 11, 2015
    I have found where the problem is about the screwed initial screen when running on iOS 7. I will submit a new version tomorrow because it's late midnight here. Hope the expedited review will be accepted.

18. cliffs

cliffs Member

Dec 11, 2015
    The fixed version is up. You could update later today. Cheers!

19. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Slightly off-topic but I made some changes to the Brogue source code to include a d-pad and seed button when compiling for iPhone:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=182940&page=14

Mentioning here because it gives an idea for a more confortable and natural feeling d-pad position. Having the d-pad higher up and slightly away from the left allows for a much more confortable experience in my opinion as your thumb isn't constantly cramped to the bottom left which is a less natural way to interact with a touch interface when holding in landscape.

For me the difference is night and day, obviously it's not for everybody as it gets a bit messy on the screen, but would love to see the ability to change the d-pad location. Yes I know it's been hinted that it's already coming.

It's much closer to the control scheme of other roguelikes like Pixel Dungeon where you are controlling the area directly adjacent to your character, which is closer to the centre of the screen.

20. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    I have found a temporary solution that resolves my control issues to some extent.

Changing the default system wide zoom (iPhone 6 and higher), resizes the controls.

Still not as good as moving the controls, but a good alternative for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]