Cat Quest - Isometric open world RPG(Looking for feedback :3)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by The Gentlebros, Jun 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    Been eyeing on this for awhile. The whole idea and concept is pretty interesting too. Most importantly had to support the devs from my fellow country plus they also used to be devs from one of my Favourite game studio / publisher. :D

Hope to hear some update soon.

2. Talaen

Talaen Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Fingers crossed on this. I know how valuable Apple promotion can be and wouldn't mind taking angame with a few remaining bugs and polish forthcoming. :)

3. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    The Gentlebros were on a podcast a few days ago and dropped some good information. I'll relay what I remember with rough numbers... The main game is about 75% complete. They have no launch window determined yet. The game has been greenlit for Steam on PC. The game itself is going to be premium and will also have a completely separate free "companion app" that will take some mechanics from the core game and repackaged them into a different game in the same universe.

Those were the biggies (if I remember right).

Podcast can be found here - http://gameovermanaus.com/interview-cat-quest/

4. The Gentlebros

The Gentlebros Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Updates! :3

Hey everyone!

Its been a crazy few weeks what with GDC(Game Developer Conference), and us just trying to finish the game!

And we're pleased to announce that Cat Quest is FEATURED LOCKED!

Basically, this means we're 90-95% done! The game is practically finished at this point, and we're just optimizing and polishing as much as we possibly can before the final release!

Here are some screenshots from the 'final' build running on our phones!

[​IMG]
    Just our cat chilling at a town in the middle of nowhere.

[​IMG]
    This is where you buy armor and upgrade your stuff! The blacksmith is called Kit Cat, because we love our puns.

[​IMG]
    And this is the Furbidden Fields. You guys would know why its furbidden when you play it! :p

Hope you guys like it!

We also want to get an opinion on the price point for the game. We've decided to go premium for this, so please do continue to support us! Its a big game with many hours of hand crafted content! We tried to make it f2p, but it would have compromised on the fun factor, so we're taking the risk and going premium!

We're thinking around 3.99 to 4.99? How do you guys feel about that? :S
    We're also messing with the idea of a 'free to try' model, similar to Mario Run. You can basically download the game for free, but the majority of the open world is locked, as well as majority of the quests. Buying the game will unlock the full game of course.

Do let us know what you think! And thanks so much for being so patient with our development! :D

5. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Early supporter $3.99 for like a day and then raise it up to $4.99. Can't wait to play this :)

6. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #166 stubbieoz, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    I love that you have decided to go down the "premium" path. Thanks!
    This means that I will definately be buying it.

I think the idea of releasing a free to try version is great BUT.....please make sure you also have the full premium game available alongside it.
    If you just release one version which is the free to try (with maybe an option in game to purchase the whole game) you run the risk of a whole bunch of people not even looking at the game because it is marketed on the App store as Free.
    I myself tend to ignore most free games.

If you release a free (lite) version as well as a full price version you will attract a lot more potential customers.

Because the Aussie dollar currently sucks against the US dollar the $4.99 game will probably cost us aussies about nine bucks which is almost getting into the higher end of the mobile game price structure.

For that reason alone I suggest the lower price of $3.99 to be available for a limited release sale price, and then put the regular price at the $4.99 mark.

7. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    As devs, we can set whatever price we want in any region, so it can be $4.99 USD in NA, and $4.99 AUS in Australia if we wanted. But let us check on that before confirming anything. ;)

8. Maeve2Win

Maeve2Win Member

Feb 9, 2017
    Make it cheaper for Turkish people please, life is so hard here, even 3.99$ is a high price for us. Thanks to our president. I was waiting for this game since long time, I hope I can play.

9. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    4.99 is a good price, you worked hard and you deserve to get paid for it, I'll definitely buy it to support you. 4.99 or even higher, I'll pay the asking price.

10. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Very good idea to make it cheaper for one day (or 2) then raise the price, just like Wayward and the upcoming DRTC.

11. fatkit

fatkit Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    The premium thing just made my day, thanks to The Gentlebros:)
    First day buyer here no matter what price, and I agreed djstout that you can follow the pricing of Wayward souls and DRTC. Anyways, best luck to you dev!

12. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Gosh, if that is indeed the case that is news to me. #

And if you did actually set the prices to compensate for a regions bad performing currency against the $US you would have my support forever!

13. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    3.99 or 4.99 sounds very reasonable.

14. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    $5-$7 here in the U.S. Is fine by me. I personally would pay even more for a quality premium game and I have

15. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I think we'd most probably settle for $4.99!

Here's something funny we made:

[​IMG]

This is gonna be something you can wear in the game! Going commando! :D

16. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I would definitely advise against the free+premium unlock model. It's the greatest model in theory (try out a bit of a game and only buy the rest if you want it) but it's failed over and over and over. Even Mario using it was kind of a disaster.

My theory is that with the tiny attention spans of mobile gamers (myself included), the free portion gives them the satisfaction of seeing what the game is like, but with so many games out there even if they liked it they might not come back and buy the unlock. For paid upfront, the player has to actually pay something to quench their curiosity, and are also more likely to be invested in something they've already paid for.

I like the idea of a launch sale though, and $4.99 seems like a good price if not a little on the cheap side.

17. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Lol. Cute but, that's exactly what I wear in real life.:D:D
    Btw I'm really excited to play this. I've been patiently waiting for this. I'm glad it's almost here. It looks better and better. Update to update

18. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Thanks for that, you're right...
    Making it free to try probably attracts the f2p crowd(who mostly would not pay), and chase away some of the premium crowd who would pay...
    Thanks for saving us from a possible disaster!

19. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Thank you so much! :3

20. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    You may risk many bad reviews claiming you tricked them or it's not actually a free game ( unless gameplay continued but at a limited scope)

Maybe release a free version with a but the locked content and make it obviously know it's a demo version?