Cat Quest II - Open World RPG! (Looking for feedback :3)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by The Gentlebros, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gentlebros

The Gentlebros Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Hmm, nope! The game has always been planned for a 2019 release! :)

2. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Also some more updates! Here is a sneak peek at a new weapon type! Pew pew pew! What do you all think? :D

[​IMG]

3. Legion180

Legion180 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Self guided misses? Always good, even with cats)
    More sneak peeks!) MORE!))

4. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Haha thanks! More sneak peeks to come soon! XD

Just wondering, but would you all rather the cat and dog to play super differently on default, or would you rather be able to customize them how you want, aka. both characters are just blank slates?

5. AlexWild

AlexWild Active Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Male
    I love it! Looks amazing!

6. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I like th idea of the two playing differently. Like a cat would be faster, dps based maybe small chance to cause bleed damage and the dog would be slower but cause more damage per hit and a small chance of stun. I know tracking quests has been pretty straight forward but I think it’d be cool to use the dog to track quests in stead of like map markers. Dogs are excellent trackers and if you need to find something from a quest you can have a way for the dog to sniff it out and point you in the right direction.

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Love this idea! But it would be nice to see stats be able to grow at different rates depending upon experience and/or different gear, so the cat could hit harder, but forced to be slower because of gear, etc.

8. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Great ideas, especially the one about giving them unique 'passive' abilities like bleed and whatnot.

We're in the camp that, because it can be played in co-op, we don't want to make the character too different in the sense that they become typecast into various roles. For example, if we gave the dog a higher attack, it wouldn't make sense to not make him a warrior. Likewise if we were to give the cat a higher magic stat, it wouldn't make sense to make the cat anything other than a mage. We still want players to be able to customize their characters however they want.

Currently, we're messing with the idea of the dog being able to dig, while the cat is able to fish, so there would be areas of the world where their unique traits would come in handy.

The idea about giving them unique passive abilities sounds interesting though, and we'd probably want to try to expand that. Like maybe the bleed thing, or maybe one of them sucks a bit of health with every hit....hmmmm

9. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Check out this new feature! We call it 'boning'.

[​IMG]

Just kidding....its a bug. XD

10. I'm thinking that adding such weapon at this stage of development would require some serious core gameplay mechanics reworking & rebalancing because of how much advantage such a weapon could give you. Without long-hitting enemies to counter this, it's basically a stick of joy, using which anyone can finish the entire game without taking a single hit which is definitely not good I think.

11. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    You're definitely right Vyacheslav, and that was one of the first things we considered when designing this. So here are some ways we're balancing it:

It may not be that obvious from the gif, but every shot actually forces your player forward, closer to the enemy you're shooting. Also, because of the way the shots arc, there is a 'sweet spot' you need to maintain if you want your shots to land. If an enemy gets too close, your shots will arc over them, if they are too far, your shots might fizzle out before hitting. Staying in this sweet spot while the enemy is moving towards you, at the same time taking into account the charge forward from the weapon, is the skill required to use this weapon.

Furthermore, we're also balancing this by having some enemies move very fast, thereby making your shots much harder to connect.

And of course, who says the enemies don't have long range shooters themselves too... ;)

12. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Awesome! :)

13. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Decided to also do a comparison between Cat Quest and Cat Quest 2(for fun!).
    What do you guys think? :)

[​IMG]

14. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Can't wait for part 2...how is progress coming along.

15. I think that Cat Quest II looks richer in terms of details compared to original game. A little more next-genish, as for my taste. 'A little bit', because visuals was already very good in CQ, so there's really not much you can add to make it look even better.

16. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    I see there’s a roll Is that in the mobile version?

17. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Does anyone know if apple arcade is required to play this game next week or can you just download it regularly?

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    All Apple Arcade games are exclusive, so, yeah. You can get a free 30 day trial, though.

19. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2017
    oh ok thanks. I guess at some point after that it will release world wide.

20. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Just downloaded it, can’t wait to try it.