Cat Quest II - Open World RPG! (Looking for feedback :3)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by The Gentlebros, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gentlebros

The Gentlebros Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    #1 The Gentlebros, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Please subscribe to our Mailing List!

Hey everyone! I am a member of The Gentlebros, and we're back for the sequel to Cat Quest!
    The first game was such a resounding success, and it really gave us the chance to continue the story that was started in the first game! We also benefited a lot from getting fan feedback(especially this forum), and decided to keep up that tradition for the sequel! Looking forward to interacting with everyone again!

Cat Quest II is an open world adventure game for mobile devices, PC and consoles!
    We're still early in development but we do have a teaser trailer to show! ;D

Gameplay
    We're keeping a lot of what made the first game great, but adding a ton more based on the feedback we got! Yes, so this means more weapon types(long ranged weapons finally!), greater variety in dungeons, MFI controller support and a whole host of other improvements!
    For the first time, the game will also support local co-op and have a much longer story! And yes, your eyes do not deceive you, you can also play as a dog this time! Things are gonna get ruff!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Combat
    Everything changes now that you have a partner! If you're not playing with a real person, your partner will be AI controlled(so no worries there!). Look forward to doing combos and casting spells together! Coupled with the new weapon and enemy types, expect a much larger variety to the combat!

[​IMG]

Right now, we're just going to keep posting updates as we have them, but we hope we can get feedback from everyone here as we do! Feel free to post anything you'd like improved from the first game too!
    We hope everyone is excited for the sequel!
    Follow us on Twitter @TheGentlebros!
    Feel free to join our Discord!
    And like our Facebook page too!

Gentle fist bump!​

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Glad that you are keeping mobile in the mix. The first game was a delight, and the additions you are describing seem like welcome improvements. Looking forward to seeing more in the coming months!

3. Slowz

Slowz Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Male
    Finally! I'm a huge fan of the first one^^

4. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    It would be great to have a map that details if we collected all the coins, extras, defeated all the baddies, etc. This would save a lot of traveling back and forth only to later realize that we've completed this level before.

5. Slowz

Slowz Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Male
    put some boss that are really really really hard to defeat so you need to get the best gear to defeat it, because since in the first one i feel it was too easy

ioso likes this.
  6. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I still want the option to rotate controlled character so I can play as the dog without having to find someone to play with. That’s the only thing I’d like put in.

7. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Yay, thanks you all! :3

A much better map is in the works! It will be scrollable this time too! :)

Noted, thank you!

Yes! That is actually a mechanic already in! Swapping character will play into combat and other mechanics too! :)

ColeDaddy likes this.
  8. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Working on the water shader now too, what do you guys think? Looking purr-ty good, huh! :D

[​IMG]

Ann0ying, raravan, ioso and 1 other person like this.
  9. Slowz

Slowz Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Male
    really cool, any release date for this game?

10. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    We're aiming for a Q2-Q3 2019 release date! :)

Legion180 likes this.
  11. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    New key art! What do you guys think? :)

[​IMG]

Jeff Walters and Ann0ying like this.
  12. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Looks dope...can't wait!!

13. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
  14. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Thanks for the positive response everyone! :)

Just wondering but for those who have played the first game, what are some of the things you guys would like to see improved and retained?

And for those who haven't, what are some of the things you'd like to see in this game? :)

15. baconcow

baconcow Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Having played through a significant amount of the first game, I have some thoughts.

- The overworld is great and I enjoy the zoom out feature. However, the overworld is severely lacking diversity in the biomes/regions. I enjoyed the inclusion of the few different biomes (i.e. snow and graveyard) that were included, but I definitely wanted more.

- The touch controls are good, for the most part (at least with the Apple Pencil), but the game deserves MFI support from day 1. Would be nice to see this finally added to the first game, too. There are a few issue places, such as the "New Game" and "Continue" buttons on the main menu; they are fairly difficult to select with the Apple Pencil (I think it is a sensitivity issue).

- This is a bug, or likely unintended design, but I hope you do not get placed behind billboards after using them (which happens, quite often).

- For cat designs, it would be nice to see more variety. I may stand alone, here, but I feel there are too many Bieber-haired cats.

- Improve or diversify (change up) the layouts of the dungeons. There was one dungeon that was a spiral layout and it was a refreshing change to the typical maze layout. It would be nice to see some designs that put players in a challenging situation and requires some thought when battling the enemies.

- Reduce the backtracking. Add portals to the map (Diablo-style) so that you are not going back and forth continuously. While the overworld is nice, some parts can get a little repetitive after a while.

- More explanation of things that are not mentioned. For example, I have not figured out what the gold chest means above a dungeon (cleared? gold chest opened?).

- Include a dialog history, in the menu, that can be reviewed. When using the Apple Pencil during combat or movement, there were often times where the text dialog would open and it would accidentally be skipped. There were also other times where I went to go to the next message and accidentally skipped some of the dialog. While I am not always big on stories, it would be nice to know what I had missed without having to play again and reading through all of the text because I have no idea which text boxes were skipped.

- While I am not yet past the point-of-no-return, I have found that a lot of the gold chest items are far out-scaled by already-owned items, making them effectively meaningless. I hope that there will be a way to add meaning to them (perhaps the $5000 coin chest.s..?).

That's about all, for now.

16. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    one Of the best mobile games period.
    Can not wait toplay this game.

17. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Still have the first one on my iPhone! Looking forward to beating this one as well Gentlebros! If you need any help let me know. If I remember correctly (I’m getting old now) I helped beta test the first one. If not then I was a day one contributor on here. Can’t wait!

18. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I agree with most of what's been suggested.

Cat Quest 1 was great but more options, more details, more depth is welcome.

Can't wait for part 2!

19. Want more secrets. As much secret, unique items, secret quests with special rewards and bosses, as possible. Miss those FF times on PlayStation when, after finally completing a game I always discovered something new, while browsing on game forums. Half of it's content wasnt available at first play not because of some kind of content barrier that developers put in (like new game+) or something but because players coudn't grasp at first what those games really had them to offer.

20. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Suggestions and Ideas
    Hidden achievements
    Hidden weapons and stat boosts to unlock by doing tasks like kill (x) amount of (x) enemies and receive (x) weapon or permanent stat boost

After beating the game you can unlock endless mode where you continue defeating enemies whose level of difficulty still rise to allow more leveling.

Receiving quests from the signs was a great idea I would like to see stay.

Wierd Ideas
    Make wanted posters of npcs or whoever . Explain crimes committed on the sign. after you beat them in a fight , either capture them and return for reward or choose a bribe from them and receive half off of goods or whatnot.

Make a purchasable house for yourself and collect and buy furnitures from quests and npcs.

Training Facility like a Scratching Post to build up strength, agility, speed, ect

Create a “Petting” icon which has a cool down to replenish health , stamina, or mana

Funny weapons
    Laser pointer , to make enemies attack other enemies by guiding them towards the other and attack there face

Cat nip, to give you speed boost