Universal Cat Quest (by The Gentlebros Pte. Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalwastebasket, Aug 9, 2017.

1. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    What's spirit? What is it for?

2. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    the little blue cat spirit that talks to you and guides you during your journey..

3. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Oh!! I didn't realize that lol.. OK. I thought was some kind of shield indicator or something!! Thanks!

4. jillbean

jillbean New Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Uhmmm.......I'm stuck.

Got the water walking quest and went straight to the gold key island. Then canceled the water walking quest to pick up the gold key quest.

Now I'm stuck without water walking skill on that island.

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    No Switch version of this?

6. Xcxc

Xcxc Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Aside from the controls for the zoomed out map, i would also like to have an indicator for quest boards with unfinished quest chains

7. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    How do i open this chest? Is there a shopkeeper? I wanna sell my stuffs!
    [​IMG]
    image hosting api

8. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    You are quite correct.
    I played the Steam version again and when you roll you are definately moving somewhat quicker away from the enemy.
    I too would like to know why the devs decided to omit it in the iOS version.

I just tried playing the iOS version again and it would seem to me that the devs could possibly implement it by perhaps making your character roll away with a double tap rather than a single.

Hopefully the dev will shed some light.

9. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    The ability to grind for xp could be a saving grace. The dodge roll adds an element of precision to the combat, but being able to grind could make up for it in a way.

10. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    No shops, items automatically upgrade when you get another one.
    And I too would like to know how to open chests with a red key on them?

11. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    I stumbled upon a crappy hat! Why would I wanna keep it? Is inventory unlimited?

12. Robbie1350

Robbie1350 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    I can't stop loving this game

13. ogunther

ogunther Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2009
    Items automatically upgrade as you find better versions. Pretty sure inventory is unlimited.

14. ogunther

ogunther Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2009
    Here is the answer you are looking for:

15. The Gentlebros

The Gentlebros Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Answering questions! :)

Hey everyone! Thanks for the support and hope you're enjoying Cat Quest!

We've read through all the posts and have decided to collate some answers for the questions asked. Let us know if we missed any, and we'll get right on it!

1. Where is the dodge roll?
    Alright, we get asked this a lot, and best to get this cleared up right away! Cat Quest was never designed with a dodge roll in mind, it was only added into the PC version after we got feedback from PC players that they would prefer it since the game can be played with a controller.
    We re-balanced the PC version to cater for a dodge roll(by adjusting some mechanics) to make it fit the palette of a PC player more.

Jumping back to the mobile version, we did try to put in the dodge roll since we had already made it, but quickly realized it made the game too difficult to control. We tried swiping, double tapping and a few other solutions, and they only served to conflict with the other controls or make accidents way more common. Some players swipe their fingers to move, while others like to double tap to walk. There was no middle ground, and since the game was never designed with rolling in the first place, we made the decision to omit rolling from the mobile version.

It was very important for us to make the best game for each platform, which is why we redesigned the controls from the ground up for both mobile and PC. We also slightly tweaked the balance for both to create the most optimized experience. You're still getting the same game, just with little quirks best suited for each platform.

Hope this clears up why the mobile version doesn't have dodge rolling! It was for the betterment of the game, and if we do figure out how to get it in, we most definitely will! :)

2. What is the red key, and how do I open Golden Chests?
    So its not actually a red key, that's just the UI. What you need is a Golden Key, and we actually saw someone post a solution. We don't want to spoil it, but the way you get the Golden Key is pretty cool! We will give you guys a hint though:
    "Once you've earned the ability to walk on water, go back to where it all began..."

3. Can I clear items from my inventory?
    The game is designed so you can collect every item in the game and 'complete' your collection. To do that, we didn't want players accidentally selling an item, and never being able to get them back again. Furthermore, the way our upgrade system works essentially means you'll need the item on you at all times, or else lose the extra levels you could get.
    To combat your growing roster of items, we made a sort functionality on the side. Pressing that will sort your game based on Head, Body and Weapon items. This should make shuffling through your gear much easier! :)

Hopefully that clears up some of the nagging questions! And much thanks to everyone's support! Its really nice reading everyone's comments about the game!
    Huge thanks to the people trying to get their friends to buy the game too! XD

16. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    When you find another crappy hat they automatically join together to give you a less crappy hat.

Get enough crappy hats and eventually they will become a wonderfully fantastic crappy hat. #

17. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Thanks for clearing all that up. #

18. ogunther

ogunther Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2009
    Being that I was one of the ones who was confused by this, I'd humbly suggest adding a pop-up on the large chests that indicates the player can't open them just yet and once they get to the point in the story where they can, maybe add a hint that directs them where they need to go? I know personally, I kept worrying that I'd missed something since I was at level 52 and had been seeing this chests since around level 5. That's a long time to wait thinking you must have missed something. :)

Also, in addition to the other suggestions made, once you've visited a dungeon, can the entrance have some indicator if there is a large chest inside that you haven't opened yet? Having to methodically retrace my steps in every dungeon just to check for chests (and then not remember for sure which ones I have or have not re-checked) feels like unnecessary busy work. Just an idea.

Regardless, thanks for makins such a great game! :)

19. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Not going to quote the lengthy reply but thanks @gentlebros for answering all those! And if you do ever want to make another attempt to add a dodge roll on iOS, I’d be more than happy to help test solutions.

Thanks for the amazing game!

20. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    I'm always perplexed by devs who choose not to implement independent sound/music controls. It's almost like they think their music is so great, nobody will ever want to turn it off. This is a great game, but sorry to say, the music is so grating I can't listen any longer and I don't want to play without sound effects. Hate that I'm like the only negative post, I guess I'm the only one who find the music objectionable. My loss I guess.