Universal Cat Quest (by The Gentlebros Pte. Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalwastebasket, Aug 9, 2017.

1. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Thank you! My main problem is that i find so many different pieces of equipment that have little difference between them magic-wise and power-wise so i am a little lost on what to equip. I have a set that i am wearing then some levels later i find another one that raises the same stats but is lower level and do not know if it will be better in the long term. I believe one thing that would solve that would be to have common rare epic legendary etc equiment so that we know which one to choose. Mr. Dev if you have an answer please let us know :)

2. nicoga3000

nicoga3000 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Structural Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm about to hit level 50 and
    get the ability to fly
    . Super super super loving this game.

However, I have one major gripe that I think the devs should consider in future updates:

Set bonuses.

I have a few complete sets of gear that are super cool looking (
    the one blue flaming skull monster set or whatever he is
    ), but the stats (even leveled up a bit) are just not cutting it. It's like you decide if you want to focus on melee, magic, or hybrid, and just pick the absolute best stuff you have. If there were set bonuses, I think it would give more reasons to try certain magic combinations or give combat more depth. A set that improves damage over time effects would give me more reason to use the AoE magic attack. Or something that has a chance to leech life would mean I could stop spending thousands of gold for a crappy heal spell (sorry, but it heals WAY too little for the cost of mana and gold, ha).

The potential is huge.

Oh, and a way to determine if you've gotten the gold chest from a dungeon would be nice. I know that clearing the dungeon removes the '?' outside it, but I don't think there's a way to determine if you've opened the gold chest or not.

3. The Gentlebros

The Gentlebros Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Its the stats of the armor that really matter. Later on, you'll be getting Legendary armor from golden chests that have very powerful stats at low levels, so if you can level those up, they will end up being extremely powerful.

So at the end of the day, wear armor that best suits your play style(melee, magic, mix), and of course, whatever makes you look good. ;)

4. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Can anyone help with this please? I'm level 10 now doing the quests around the first village and I'm wondering if I missed a cutscene or didn't pay attention to something re the dodge roll?

Ta

5. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015

Agree with this. Set bonuses would be awesome!

6. ioso

ioso Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Male
    Good to hear :) Ty and good luck

7. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    persuaded a couple of friends to buy this and support the devs :)

8. Robbie1350

Robbie1350 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    I'm trying to get people that I know in real life to get this game

9. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    would have love to see how long you been playing for like other rpgs

10. al4red_uk

al4red_uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2011
    The games great! Haven't seen a game with this much polish for a while and seems like it's got longevity to it! Enjoying so far ... but (here comes the but!)... please please add a virtual joystick option, I feel there is less control tapping to where you want to go, if that comes in a update pretty soon it would be amazing.

11. Exuare

Exuare Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Devs! You's made a (P)AWESOME game! Path of Exile 3.0 launched friday, and you just made me play Cat Quest and totally forgot about PoE. For me, this is my mobile GOTY, 100%

Good job! :)

12. nicoga3000

Dec 21, 2010
    Structural Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    OK, just finished it at level 57. Time to start the post game! I just posted this on another forum, but I'll post it here for those who look at TA for all their mobile gaming needs!

Really cute story how it all came together. Post game has a bunch of stuff to do (including some quest boards that were previously inactive), so I'm going to get to work!

My quick parting thoughts! If I were going to sell this game to a friend, this is what I'd tell them:

The Good

The story is cute and family friendly, and the artwork is great. I love how new gear shows up on your character, so there's a sense of achievement and progression there. I also like that the game rewards you continuously. Dungeons are great ways to grind XP and gold, and they have regular and gold chests to find. Finding duplicate items increases their level and makes them more powerful, so there's always a reason to explore and grind (so you can use your favorite looking gear you fashionista, you!). There are some super hard side bosses and quests to do, so you'll have quite a bit to do after you finish the main quest.

Magic and melee are both super useful for various reasons - combining them will often yield the best results. It encourages you to focus on certain aspects of character growth but also makes you keep your eyes on other aspects of play.
    I didn't use the ice spell until the last 3/4 of the main quest. That was silly because that spell, when used correctly, can turn the tide of battle.

The Bad
    The only real thing I don't love was already stated earlier - gear is ALL about numbers. While each piece has 4 stats (Armor, HP, melee, magic), you find yourself stacking to your style. There is a point where gear becomes "+20 armor, +24 melee, -50 magic" or "-20 armor, +100 HP, -30 melee, +40 magic" and stuff, so you do find yourself messing around in that regard. But the lack of set bonuses (because there are a bunch of armor sets) means you're not really messing with gear unless it has optimal stats. I would love to be able to wear the White Mage set and have a bonus to recovery/healing spells, or wear the Spike Tank (or whatever it's called) set and have it so my enemies take a percentage of melee damage, etc. I can sort of see why they didn't do this (some passive bonuses might break things), but it would be a fun addition for future expansions/updates.

Buy or Pass?
    If you can't stand the control methods of Crashlands and Battleheart Legacy (kind of a touch/drag to move to a point), pass.

Now, if you didn't mind that or even quite liked it...

Was Crashlands fun but too grindy? Did you find that you would chop wood and beat up dinosaur looking dudes for hours on end, only to craft a spiked club that's multiple tiers of garbage below the same damn thing you've been using for the past 4 hours? Did you enjoy exploring the world and discovering all the neat little spots? Cat Quest is a buy!

Did you love the strategy and story telling of Battleheart Legacy but find yourself dying repeatedly because it's unforgiving? Did you ever wish that there was an easy mode (that wasn't called easy mode because you're not a baby and you only play normal/hard)? Cat Quest is also a buy!

If you were mixed about both of those games and thought the control system was "serviceable", you probably want to wait for a sale.

---------------------

I can't WAIT for new content. I will pay for any additional stuff these devs put out, because this game is just so good. Good work you guys!

13. maxbrickem

maxbrickem Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Hey Nicoga! awesome, from what you can tell is there much post-game? I'm currently 52 and holding off on main quest bc i don't want to beat the game already haha.

14. nicoga3000

Dec 21, 2010
    Structural Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    So some of the dungeons I didn't touch are pretty tough. Anything in the 60+ range did a number on me earlier. There were two quest boards that I can think of that were "inactive" during the course of the main quest. I am going to check those out later to see if they have content now.

Having said that, I would absolutely go ahead and finish the game. Once you do, you get a nice Epilogue that helps explain everything and then you are told to go help other cats (and basically go enjoy yourself). I have some pretty solid gear with reasonably strong spells, and I still get beat up pretty bad at times. The higher level dungeons are tough, so you should have things to do while you grind grind grind to max level!

To better answer your question, yeah - there are a LOT of dungeons I have yet to touch because they were simply too hard for me.

15. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I'm at level 11 and cannot beat what I guess is the 2nd "boss"

Any suggestions?

16. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    - Overall: Core game loop is solid, polished and fun. It immediately felt good to run around and get into combat.

I don't want it to appear that I'm not enjoying the game, but there are some areas for improvement, notably regarding user experience and interface:

- UX: needs better quest management. I don't like that only one quest is active and you can't see other side quests on the bulletin boards unless you abandon the current one. There's no menu I can go to and track the available, in progress and completed quests.
    - UX: You can greatly simplify equipping skills by just allowing players to drag them to the loadout, rather than tapping on one, tapping equip, then tapping on the slot you want to use.
    -UX: there's a ton of negative space in the menus, notably when playing on a phone. The character art is cute, make it bigger! statistics are absolutely tiny on the phone, and you have a lot of space you could utilize without it feeling crowded
    - UX: Radial menu needs visual feedback, so players know that they are using it correctly. Right now, it just doesn't "feel" good to use. The behavior doesn't imply that the user should hold their finger and slide to the skill they want to use, nor is it responsive enough during heavy combat. It should either quickly expand and stay open until the player taps on a skill, or provide feedback that it has a"snap open and release to cast" function. Look to the wheel menus in Horizon Zero Dawn or Mass Effect on console, for instance. Some examples:http://www.swordandsharpie.com/learn-from-games-the-radial-menu/
    https://dribbble.com/shots/801609-Concept-Idea-Radial-Menu-UI-animated?list=popular&offset=326
    https://dribbble.com/shots/846237-Radial-menu
    - UX: Ability to scroll the map when zoomed out
    - UX: Ability to see the level recommendation for a dungeon without having to walk up and interact with it. I would like to plan my adventures in the zoomed-out view, but dungeons and level requirements are not labelled. Even if it was just being able to tap on geographic locations and get some additional info.
    -Balance: The game feels extremely grindy between levels 5 and 15. There's not enough to do, other than revisit the same low-level caverns until you can upgrade skills and gear to take on the next tier of quests. There's a noticeable jump from Level 5 to 12. Most dungeons outside of a small starting area immediately jump to level 15 and 20+, with mobs to match. This discourages exploration and keeps the player boxed in.

I saw that you're adding cloud saves. Thank you!

17. Robbie1350

Robbie1350 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Umm who was that to?

18. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    I must be blind, but how do you perform the dodge roll?

19. maxbrickem

maxbrickem Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    I haven't started the ios version yet, still playing on PC steam, but there should be a way..it's an important part of the combat. Is very sad if they didn't incorporate it into the mobile version. Can anyone elaborate?

@nicoga - thanks for the info! Yeah I know what you mean.. I saw level 90+ dungeons while exploring the world. wow

@saucepolicy - do the first couple of town side quests. they level you up easily and you get gear - I don't remember ever having to grind for levels in this game if you complete al side quests that you happen upon.

20. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Yeah, I picked up both versions and I don't see it in the mobile one. You're correct, it's an important part of combat.