Universal Cat Quest (by The Gentlebros Pte. Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalwastebasket, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I’ve gotten a bit further with the new game on harder enemies.

The 2nd enemy you fight—you have to fight—is super tough (gentlebros, maybe let us wander around a bit to level or get a few items?) but after that it does get more manageable. I am enjoying the challenge though!

This game was so much fun it’s great to have another excuse to give it a few more rounds ;) I like seeing that the game is different—more dragons in the overworld, more challenging enemies closer to the start point all of that is good stuff.

Oh, and when you beat that dreaded 2nd fight you get a water walking potion! So that’s changes the replay experience a bit, streamlines it some.

Still wondering about when the rewards are earned, but I’ll find out eventually :)

2. tylerwa

tylerwa Member

Aug 29, 2016
    #502 tylerwa, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Update

What is the difference between New Game+ and Mew Game?

Why would I play Mew Game with the top option for everything to carry forward selected?

Is there a distinct save for both New Game+ AND Mew Game?

What does the modifer in Mew Game affect?

When do we get the reward, assuming at the end right?

Does the reward apply to a new Mew Game playthrough?

Is there any explanation for any of this?

3. tylerwa

tylerwa Member

Aug 29, 2016
    They will never do that because that is an absolutely ridiculous request

4. subgenius

subgenius Well-Known Member

May 30, 2014
    What possible difference will a sale at some unknown point in the future have with regards to your current purchase decision? If you enjoy something and want it now badly enough to pay the price, then just buy it. If you do not believe it is worth the asking price, then wait for a sale. As a supplier in just about any business, I would never make the kind of promise you are asking. Prices are based on market conditions, which are subject to change over time. And in general a consumer pays a premium to get something earlier.

If you want it enough to pay the price, then buy it. Holding a developer hostage for some kind of promise is probably not going to result in any meaningful communication with them.

5. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Why are you telling me this?

6. subgenius

subgenius Well-Known Member

May 30, 2014
    Because I meant to reply to doomowl and obviously do not understand how forums are supposed to work ;)

7. The Gentlebros

The Gentlebros Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Yes, the Switch will be getting the update. All versions of the game will be getting the update very soon! In fact, the Switch version might already have the update now. :)

Also, to answer some of the questions we saw!
    Mew Game is designed to be a real challenge, so go in prepared! Depending on the modifiers you choose, you will get a different reward that can be seen in the Modifier selection screen. Basically they're all parts of the Old Master Set, a very powerful piece of equipment.

New Game+ is more like a 'for fun' thing. You can just replay the normal game again with all your levels and gear, and level up even further.

Hope this answers your questions, and thank you all for the support!
    Oh, and if you guys find any bugs we missed, please let us know so we can fix it! :)

8. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    I would think dodge roll would be easy enough to implement. Two-finger tap = dodge roll in that direction.

And I concur that the Switch version is great.

9. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    But what makes you think that is an acceptable request to make of anyone selling a product? Let's put aside the fact that you're asking for a price lock on a 5 dollar game, already ridiculously undervalued for the work that goes into game development. Do you email EA or Blizzard and ask them the same thing? I'm sure the form letter you'd get back would be stained with tears of laughter.

Tell me of ANY consumer product that would give you that guarantee. Everything goes on sale at some point or another, it's how capitalism works.

10. baconcow

baconcow Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Still looking forward to upcoming MFI controls. Will buy this when they are added.

11. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    Yea, I think DoomOwl is off base on this one. Stupid request. Look at these new console games that came out in Sept/Oct. Come Nov they were half price or more. People were mad, but it's on them. ONLY YOU can determine a products worth. Me, I'm hemming about this but I think I'll break down soon enough.

12. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Thank you! We really put in a lot of effort making sure it would work well on a touch screen.

As for the MFi support, we can't speak for every developer, but the main reason we have taken so long is because 3rd party support like MFi will usually not be immediately compatible with the code we've written. It always takes time to implement, test and make sure its ready for you guys.

It will be easy for us to just throw in the code for MFi, but then it might result in bugs, or worse, something game breaking. So we made the choice to make it great for touch controls first, since that is how most mobile players would be playing the game. :)

13. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    Has anyone in mew game had difficulty finding the pirate treasure?

I looked for it early on before I read the clue, then I read the clue, didn’t find it...tried again after getting flight, and I can’t find it. The clue is the same as in the regular game.

I do appreciate in this update (compared to when I played after release) that gold flows a little more readily, I think the balance is better.

I’m at level 58 right now; when I beat the game i’ll see about posting some pics of the reward.

14. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    #514 Solarclipse, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    first mew game completed

I just beat the mew game and picked up the old master's armor.

You can then choose to play on, or start another mew game. I was hoping I would start my mew game with that old master's armor...but nope...Which makes the prospect of getting the other 2 items—which you need 2 or 3 meowdifiers on to earn—a little too daunting.

I loved playing through and facing the new enemies though! Its a great update, but my feedback would be to have each modifier gives a different reward rather than having two or three at a time....having two or three of those on, I suppose that makes it a very rare trophy, though. In any case, not being able to wear that master's armor before the endgame is disappointing, though the journey to getting it was a lot of fun and indeed a good challenge. I just saw wearing that armor as my ticket to beating the game with the other meowdifiers stacked.

I'm guessing the level of the item goes from 9, to 39, to 69, to 99 each time you beat the game?

Attached Files:

15. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    The pirate treasure is still in the same place, but it drops a different weapon this time. You'll need it for naked run.

Congrats on beating one of the toughest challenges in the game! You can now wear the Old Master's armor in the normal game and whoop more ass.

We didn't want to let players wear the old master armor in mew game because it would just devolve into everyone wearing the old master to get better timings, and we didn't want that.

But yea, maybe we should have given the armors for each modifier, and then a different reward for beating 2 or 3 modifiers at the same time...

16. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I just finished this last night and had a great time with it - reminds me quite a bit of Crashlands, with a similar gameplay/view and graphical style. I like Cat Quest's smaller focus, and felt like it was just the right length. Things I'd like to see:

Bestiary: Such lovely creatures, give us some backstory/lore on them please!
    Quest Log: Let us read what we've finished, and see what our current goal is without having to follow the arrow/travel around to the various signboards.
    Interface: Option to disable the circle around the character, and adjust opacity and size of HUD elements.

Other thoughts:
    CATTRAP! I absolutely love that spell. I've always loved mines/traps in games, but so often they are weak and not worth using compared to "regular" spells/abilities. Not so in Cat Quest! Thanks for giving us a worthy trap spell for us sneaky meowgicians.

17. Vyacheslav

Vyacheslav Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Electrical engineer
    Ukraine
    So it seems like iOS version of the game is updated already with "Mew Game+" mode... How long I should wait for Android update?

18. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012

Just in case my suggestion was confusing, it was more like: naked run=armor; level 1=weapon; and so on...But I don't know, maybe as it is its more doable than I think—I checked out the forums on the steam community, which I think is a little closer for home to you. In those forums you said that each meowdifier has a few adjustments made to it to help balance things out for the player. This would be great to know as a player, as it emboldens me to try a bigger challenge!

Balances seem to be:
    •water walking in early game
    •guitar axe in pirate treasure
    •more chests in the furbidden lands, and more high exp enemies

anything else?

And here's a tidbit from the steam community, after some discussion about what to do with the old master set once they have it, and the Gentle Bros said: "...there will be new content in the future for you guys to use your pawsome armor and weapons on, so nothing is ever wasted. :)"

ps I found the pirate treasure :)

19. The Gentlebros

May 22, 2015
    Game developers
    Singapore
    Strange, the Android version should also have this update. Does it not? :S

First of all, thanks for all your kind words!
    We might do a bestiary outside the game, but having it inside might make the file size of the game explode.
    Quest log is a little impossible at this stage, but for future games, this is something we will design much earlier! :)
    The spell circle can be easily adjusted! Stay tuned for future updates.

There are also balances made depending on the modifier chosen:
    If you choose Naked Cat, you earn double xp. This allows you to level up much faster.
    If you choose Level One, you earn more gold. This allows you to buy armor easier, or upgrade spells faster.

20. Vyacheslav

Vyacheslav Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Electrical engineer
    Ukraine
    #520 Vyacheslav, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Obviously not. I checked again - after clearing Google Play data and still it isn't there (only version dated for september 29th is available). Other apps updated as usual, no such issues.

EDIT:
    Also... This is no way related to update issue described above but while trying to take a look on Cat Quest in HTML version of Google Play (was thinking it can already have newest version if you uploaded it) I found game, which may be an illegal copy of original Cat Quest. Take a look at screenshots please.