Universal Cat Physics (by Donut Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DonutGames, May 26, 2010.

1. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Male
    *sigh* :/
    When you find a completely new route to a level not knowing what to expect and it does this to you :(

Attached Files:

2. CruisyBoy

CruisyBoy Member

May 5, 2012
    Western Australia
    Ok…. I need some help… Here’s a bit about me.

I am a long term player. My first forum post was 7 May 2012 (#10903) - even though I had been reading and learning from it for a long while before that, so that kinda makes me a ‘catter’ for at least 7 years.

I usually float around the top 100 in terms of overall score count, therefore I have never been a threat. My crowning achievement was finding a new high score for level 65 on CP2 (Post# 12595 on 2 Apr 2017) – a title I held for at least 10 minutes ;). I currently have 65,895 points for CP1. My goal is to break the top 66K mark (I’d be happy with that). Therefore I need another 105 points.

I have recently had a renewed passion for the game of which I am currently in the process of replicating my scores for CP1 that I achieved on my ‘old’ iPad (iPad 2 (Gen 4)) to my current iPad (iPad Pro 9.7 (2015) – iOS 12.3.1).

What I have noticed is that even when I set my arrows on my current iPad to exactly the same best position that I had on my old iPad (using a screenshot app) I am unable to achieve the same scores. Examples include:
    • L18: Windows (used to be able to get 650, now only get 649);
    • L31: More Windmills (used to be able to get 499, now only get 490);
    • L40: Mechanical Wonders (used to be able to get 713, now only get 712);
    • L75: Frozen In (used to be able to get 776, now only get 775);
    • L95: Build A Bridge (used to be able to get 631, now only get 626);
    I am putting this down to either the type of iPad that I am using – of which it is now unable to replicate (different processing speeds perhaps, or a change in the game algorithm itself) or something else (like launch speed).

Therefore I have 3 Questions:
    1. Why is this happening?
    2. Can somebody (for the benefit of all readers of this forum) explain the launch speeds? I know of 2: Wait for 3 seconds and launch; or do a quick double launch.
    3. How often are the official scores on the Donut Games website updated (http://www.donutgames.com/iphone_hs.php?g=046&col=0&u=03d46d99c82d6796fbf7929c..&l=&o=80)? (it still says that I haven’t played for 4 years but this clearly is not the case).
    Thanks heaps in advance. I have really enjoyed reading all your contributions and tips over the years.

Lastly, an occasional screenshot with the solution arrows (published to all), or hints is always useful (not only to me, but also to others like me who read the forum but are too shy to ask).

Cheers and long live the game! :)

3. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Male
    Alright, level 18 and 31 both have the quick relaunch, but you already know about it, so my other guess is an iOS update. I’ve heard that these cause changes in the past with levels including glass and bridges, maybe some others too.
    40 is mostly “luck” the ball needs to roll faster than normal and the bridge needs to be covering the whole path over the gap. However there is somewhat quick relaunch here?
    75 might be effected by iOS since it has glass(776-778 all require both arrows, unless you already were using both?)
    95 is one of two levels that requires bridge glitch, which upon restarting a launch after hitting the bridge and starting right after causes the bridge to settle down and it’s easier to knock over. However if you’re having a different score with the same arrow, maybe try a close postion?

As for launch speeds, the most common is the quick relaunch issue, which happens on about half the levels. Most are obvious as they change the path, some are not, and only change the score. Every level with this bug seems to have a different wait time to restart “first relaunch” and first can be reset by reentering the level or setting arrows to best.

The waiting 3 seconds one only seems to apply to 81... it’s kinda like a reverse quick relaunch, since you get different outcomes from launching right away vs waiting a bit.

Then there is “random” which applies to levels like 17, 40, 92; where the ball takes random outcomes for seemingly no reason. For 17 and 40, it has to do with how the bridge resettles after relaunch, and both of these levels have the quick bug. 92 is more of a mystery though, since there are no bridges. My guess is that the swinging of the gate under the slope the ball takes up has something to do with it.

For leaderboards, if you don’t have the “global leaderboards” in options social menu, you can’t update to the site, but rather just Game Center.

I don’t seem to have any score issues(I play on an iPhone 5) but I’ve heard other people have had issues with score regarding devices, so I can’t help there.

CruisyBoy likes this.
  4. prog

prog Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Male
    Hey CruisyBoy,

Question 3: The donut games web site for high scores updates when you have improved your score and publish it by clicking on “global high scores” in the Cat Physics app. If you haven’t improved any in pack 1 you will see the last time that your score was improved. Pack two operates separately from pack one and will update when you improve there. If you have improved and it’s not updating, you might want to shoot donut games that question.

I too have seen variations with different iOS devices depending on the age. I also believe it is in the processor of the device and its method of computing the algorithms.

Are there certain levels you would like help on?

CruisyBoy likes this.
  5. CruisyBoy

CruisyBoy Member

May 5, 2012
    Western Australia
    Dear Forg and Prog (only 1 letter different between both your names) :D

Awesome – thanks for the help & tips – much appreciated. I will keep working chipping away!

Prog, thank you for the offer. I was thinking that L18 and L31 would be a good place to start – given that I am more than 1 point away from the top score, therefore some new arrow positions may remove the issue I am potentially having with the device/algorithm.

Lastly, I have just written to Donut Games re the updating of the high scores on their website and will keep you updated with what they have to say.

Cheers

6. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Male
    #12686 Forg, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Use the roof in almost zero bounces

Another day, another new find for me, another not quite there :(
    Anyone else find this before?

Attached Files:

7. prog

prog Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Male
    Nope, I go under the middle spire :)

8. prog

prog Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Male
    JK, but did you give it a go? :)

9. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Male
    Was worth a try haha. I tried using both arrows to shoot to the base then I realized I could just launch the ball without arrows... was confused on what to do since both arrows shot up. I had the feeling it was fake but there could of been the chance of wonky collision, like in levels 55 and 90.
    What have you been up to prog?

10. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Male
    I’m gonna bounce an idea off everyone

(Two screens from Forg in 1 day? :eek: yes :) )
    Ok, so I has this idea with the lvl 13. You know, the one where you have to “squeeze” the ball between the shredders because it gives like +1 or +2 points because that’s how this game works? Well, you don’t actually need to do the ball squeeze to get a 525. Maybe some of you have known this(I didn’t). But perhaps we could use the ball squeeze along with the main way to get 525, the you know clip the top shredder with the ball and it rolls better and points are gotten higher, to maybe get more? So far I haven’t been able to get the squeeze in time(about a 3 minute wait), and(remember this) the squeeze itself gives a range(of like 4 points or something), but it should be better than just using the shredder to hit the ball up faster at the beginning(I should of said that earlier).
    Maybe we can get 526 or 7?
    Wiz has told me it won’t work, but maybe you guys can help me? :D
    Am I crazy? Probably.
    Am I over complicating ways to reach 66,400? Most certainly!
    Here is arow

Attached Files:

11. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Male
    Question

Hey prog :D
    Is this first arrow right?

Attached Files:

12. prog

prog Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Male
    Hey Forg,
    I’m sorry but I can’t give out arrow location info.
    What I will say is that I have not yet been able to duplicate the high score by adjusting any arrows even one pixel from the scoring arrows, I’ve tried a bit and haven’t had any success. It may be possible but I don’t have patience to keep trying. But there may be a completely different correct solution to improve your score, I just haven’t found it.

13. prog

prog Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Male
    Hey Donut Games!

To the person who is finishing up the new levels on Cat Physics:
    You’re killing me here! :confused:
    It’s like waiting for your birthday but not knowing what day you celebrate it on. :(
    ... and please if possible, name levels off of the top faithful catters :D... yes, even Wiz.

hasenfuss, Catatonic22 and Forg like this.
  14. CruisyBoy

CruisyBoy Member

May 5, 2012
    Western Australia
    Hey there Forg, still a good path though cos I used it to improve my score. Thank you. Are you able to confirm whether the 749 path uses the same rock to deflect off?...

15. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Male
    The 749 uses a different rock, rather in between the two bumps.

Attached Files:

16. Catatonic22

Catatonic22 Member

May 15, 2019
    Male
    :)lol, I use Forg’s 748 path to improve as well.

17. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Male
    I was bored

Teleports are fun :)
    Here we have on lvl 25 an infinite loop with the teleport. The ball is stuck like this forever and eventually it’s path disappears and the shoot sound from the port is gone. I seem to be good at finding weird things, but not so great at finding new points :D

Attached Files:

18. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Male
    Anyone else find 16-784 yet? It’s like trying to find a needle in a haystack that has different paths to take, unknowing if the path you are taking currently is correct :(
    It’s a very bland haystack as well :[

19. prog

prog Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Male
    #12699 prog, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    It’s almost as hard to find as level one - 753 (using quick launch several times just before the ball reaches the cat , while turning your device vertically to help the ball fall easier with gravity):)

But at least CP2 level 16 is possible.

20. prog

prog Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Male
    Forg... tell me you didn’t try that one too...o_O