Universal Cat Physics (by Donut Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DonutGames, May 26, 2010.

1. DPRICE81

DPRICE81 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Woohoo. Love me some donut games. Its a damn shame, my ipod 32 gb is filled to the max. I only got it in December. I'm really hoping for an iphone for verizon. Verizon is the only carrier that works well where I am. *Sigh* Until then, time to play some games so I can remove them for more games such as gems like these.

2. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    It is very special. A very different Donut Games game.

3. klicktock

klicktock Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Director of KlickTock
    Ballarat, Vic, Australia
    Picked this up today. Very cool.
    But NO idea how to get 3* in the second level.

4. DonutGames

DonutGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    #44 DonutGames, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
    I have 3 stars on ALMOST all levels, 48 out of 50.

Just can't figure out what our level designers had in mind for those 2 levels. :D

Klicktock: Just fiddle with the position of the arrows... Sometimes you can shorten the path by just moving the arrows a little.

5. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    My biggest issue is that like with many Donut Games you sometimes need to achieve pixel precision (yes, I am talking about you, Spikey). When my finger covers the arrow buttons, it is hard to determine how far you actually move them. What would be great is optional "handles" that one could use to move those buttons. If the button is not obstructed by your finger you could move it more precisely. It's not a huge deal, but something I found myself wishing for while playing. Anyway, it's an awesome game. Congrats!

6. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    Me too. I keep coming up one point short :(

Anyway, this is your best game yet and I love all of them !!

I will put in in a tie with my other favorite that I am still hoping for new levels before Christmas time...............Rodolphs kick n fly. I got so addicted to that game.

Great job !!! keep those games coming. I love the classic Donut games format :)

7. DonutGames

Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    #48 DonutGames, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
    Excellent review by Jared. Thanks!
    I have told the other guys involved in the game development of the review. I think they'll enjoy it! :)

@eugekava: Regarding the "finger is covering the arrow" issue... Did you know that you can grab a hold of the arrows also by tapping outside of them?

These can be seen as "invisible handles" that you can grab. (like the ones you suggested)

8. hasio_john

hasio_john Well-Known Member

This is for sure one of the best of all Donut Games !!!
    Although it looks like a game for kids..., this one is challenging and fun for all ages!
    Amazing accurate physics, clever levels, different solutions (so replay value), great music, fantastic graphics and ...cute cats! :)
    For $0.99 this is a MUST buy game!!!
    I hope for future updates with more levels....;)
    Thanks Donut Games, keep up the good work!

9. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I was in a training class at work and while everyone was chatting... I was enjoying playing cat catch ;) This game is as sweet as a sugar coated nut.

10. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Best title I've played from Donut Games BY FAR. Being able to grab outside the arrows is great, though they do have a nasty tendency to move when I'm trying to lift up. Still, awesome work. I'm playing through them slowly, getting 3 stars on each so far. Some of those have been tricksy in the early going (I've done the first 14).

11. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Hey thanks a lot DonutGames! :)

So I just tested out the "invisible handles" of the arrow icons, and you weren't kidding. You can actually grab on to them from quite a distance away. That was really one of my only issues with the game, like eugekava I kept wanting to move the icon just a little bit but my finger would be blocking it. This is now not an issue. Thanks for the tip. :)

12. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Anybody else like to find unintended shortcuts in games like this? There's a nice one on 17.

13. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I'm always on the lookout for shortcuts. Thanks for mentioning 17, I think I just found it.

14. KillBill18

KillBill18 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    As always, an excellent and polished title! Keep up the great work.

One minor request: I've been wanting to buy Gold Miner Joe, but it seems to be the only level based game without a 3 star ranking system. Would it be possible to implement that? If I play it now, then I won't know how well I did on a level. I also won't know whether I've found all of the secret areas or not. Whether Donut Games fixes this or not is fine by me, I am just making a suggestion. I'll still continue to purchase these games in the future!

- Bill

15. DonutGames

Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    Thanks for the suggestion, Bill.

Yes that's right, Gold Miner Joe wasn't launched with our 3-star ranking system, basically because the game is originally a PC / Mac game. So the levels weren't originally designed with a 3-star system in mind.

Though in the update that hit the AppStore in April 2010, we had added a 2nd star for all levels (premium version only).
    I agree that it would be nice to add a 3rd star as well. Right now, the 2nd star is "pretty" hard to achieve, so I'm guessing that in a possible future update the current 2nd star will represent the 3rd instead (approximately). And the "new" 2nd star will be set at a lower score.

Perhaps a little fuzzy description on my part, but I hope you understand. :)

16. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    OK, could anyone help me on lvl 32, "Behind The Screen"?
    If you don't want to put a spoiler on the thread please PM any help or hint to me:) Thanks,

Richard

17. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Get any help?

I just go to level 32, and I was able to get a 2-star solution. If you haven't heard anything, I can pm you with how I did it.

18. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    That, my friend, would be awesome:D

19. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    I just completed all 50 levels. Now it's time to go back and try to get 3 stars on all of 'em. Seriously, what an amazing game! As someone else mentioned here, I really hope to see future levels.