Universal Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (by KONAMI)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 4, 2020.

1. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Yeah, playing with a controller is so much better, unfortunately for me my arthritis is getting worse and playing longer than five minutes with a game pad becomes too painful.

I really need them to give us some touch controls options for me to keep playing now.
    Real shame as the game itself is great.

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, I can imagine playing on an iPad is a freaking pain.....
    I should have said in my post that I'm playing on a 6S....

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Just finished off the game and got the achievement for doing so!

Time to go and finish the game. :)

4. mstacheef

mstacheef Well-Known Member

May 2, 2013
    Ok, help. Surprisingly I never played this game before (I know, blasphemous). Now I am and am loving it. I’m kinda stuck though. I’ve been Richter for days and never got the chance to play as Alucard. Haven’t found a jump stone sword or anything yet have completed more than 35% of the castle so far. Also have seen zero cutscenes or NPCs. Am I missing something? Checked a few FAQs and it looks like I should have fought Dracula then continued as Alucard, but never happened.

5. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Did you enter your name as Richter?

6. mstacheef

May 2, 2013
    i did. So guessing that was a mistake?

7. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Not necessarily. It just allows you to play the game as Richter. It was originally a bonus for beating the game but in this version you can enable it right from the start, however as you're finding out the game wasn't really designed to be played with him so lots of stuff is either changed or missing to accommodate for that. The same thing happens if you name your profile Maria as it lets you play through as her.

They are definitely fun bonuses and it's fun to re-play through with them, but if this is your first time playing then you're definitely going to want to start over and play as Alucard to get the proper experience, then you can go back and play with the bonus characters sometime after. Basically just start a file and name yourself anything other than Richter or Maria.

8. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Indeed... If you want to play the game as Alucard you have to begin again (and don't choose any name at the start)... On the good side, you can do it on a second save file so you can keep the progress with Richter that you have done till now...

edit: Boardumb was faster hehe

9. mstacheef

May 2, 2013
    Thanks guys. Knew I was missing something obvious.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Over 9 hours and 40 minutes of playing, and Walking Simulator Mode has been activated! :D Think it may have already been mentioned in the thread, but for spoilers sake I won’t say anything other than the fact that I’m talking about finally obtaining the most ridiculously overpowered weapon in the game. ;)

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Absolutely crazy. For the first time in my 35 year existence, I can say I've gotten 200.6% (and all the other achievements) in SotN! :D Even though I never plan on deleting this, I would absolutely kill for iCloud support. This is one hell of an achievement, and I'd like to at least have it backed up somewhere. :p

What's left to do? Amass $500,000 and buy the Duplicator. I never actually bothered playing through SotN when it was part of Dracula X Chronicles on PSP, so I don't know if it was like this as well, but it's kind of annoying not to have a "Clear" save (which the original had). Instead of being able to continue playing after beating the final boss (no spoilers), I have to keep loading my 200.5% complete save and play the game all I want without actually hitting the boss fight. *shrugs*

12. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Your comments keep getting me curious about the game. But I just had one question. Have you been playing it with a controller or the on-screen touch controls?

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    100% (or 200.6%) exclusively touch.

Rocksaint likes this.
  14. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Nice. That’s all I needed to know. Thanks. Time to purchase it then.

metalcasket likes this.
  15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Welcome to the greatest time of your life. :)

Rocksaint likes this.
  16. mstacheef

May 2, 2013
    I’ve got to say, I’ve been gaming since the 70s, have owned just about every system since then (3D0 and Jaguar anyone), and yet for some reason I never played this. Became more of a metroidvania fan later in life. So happy it came out on iOS and I’ve had the opportunity to finally dig into this. This is the perfect way to play IMO, with short sprints during downtime wherever I am. I’m blown away. Not nearly done yet but have put some serious time into it. Played both with a controller and touch, and while the controller is preferred for sure, it works damn well with touch. Putting this is the top 5 iOS games I’ve played yet, and there have been many.

metalcasket likes this.
  17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    As long as Konami support this port, it will NEVER leave my device(s). With the newly implemented continue system it really is the perfect portable game.

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  18. mstacheef

May 2, 2013
    Totally agree. Also hoping this means we’ll see other Konami games on iOS soon.

metalcasket likes this.
  19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh shit! I COMPLETELY forgot this has File Sharing support, even though I look at it practically every other day.

What does that mean? iCloud support is completely unnecessary! :D I have my save game saved to my laptop for safe keeping and I think I may even upload it to my Files just in case. What else does that mean? Sure, iCloud would be more convenient, but you're free to copy your save file back and forth (using iTunes) between devices. :)

20. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Just curious, how many days did it take to reach this milestone? Just getting back into things and after reading your review and @syntheticvoid this is as close to a no brainer as I will ever get. And like Void said, what the heck am I gonna do with $3 that is any better? Thanks for paving the way. Drop me a line if there's anything else I missed. You know my likes. Nice to see you all again. (Fight Club)