Universal Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (by KONAMI)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 4, 2020.

1. ecstaticax

ecstaticax Member

Oct 3, 2012
    How touch controls are? Is it playable on iPhone X or 11?

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Touch controls aren't going to be the best way to play SotN, but they're perfect for what they are. The massive borders on X/11 devices help in that regard. They don't obscure the game for the most part.

Also, before anyone starts a "MASSIVE BORDERS WHATAAAAATATTATA!?" issue, again, this is a PlayStation 1(!!!) game. Kindly remove your head from your rectum. Borders exist on every living iteration of this game.

PBSNellie likes this.
  3. ecstaticax

ecstaticax Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks. I finished this game at 200% in 1997. I know very well PSX 4:3 borders :)

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Just for clarification, that was a general statement. :p Not aimed at you at all.

5. #25 Makara Nou, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Oh god! I'm so noob at this game. Spent an hour and still can't beat the first boss. Yes I'm some guy that has never played this franchise before)

yankeeblue000 likes this.
  6. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Sorry guys i may have missed it but icloud save supported?

7. Sladecut

Sladecut Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2019
    Male
    wow! What a nice surprise! One of the best games of all times. Also much cheaper than I would have expected if they announced this a while back! Instabuy ofc:):):)

8. chengchisang

chengchisang Well-Known Member

May 25, 2018
    Before I asked the question, I hit the “Buy” button and play it with the Dual Shock 4 controller. Yeah!

9. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Considering this game is a million years old, the touch controls are not bad, I've seen way worse graphics on newer games, and the price is right. And it's easy for an old gal like me to figure out what to do.

10. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Controls could be better but not horrible. One thing I don’t like it how long the Game Over screen takes before you can retry. I suck at this game so I’m going to be seeing it a lot!

11. Unordinary

Unordinary Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Amsterdam
    Wow! this is a steal at that price. Let’s hope they release “Rondo of blood” also :)

12. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    #32 yankeeblue000, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Wow! What a surprise! I recently got this for Xbox but, to be honest even though I beat this when it came out and it was probably my favorite Castlevania game when I was younger I could not get into it because of how damn difficult it could be. I must have been more skilled at gaming as a youth or it's just that my mind has dulled,. "ahem" with everything else:(:D

I guess what I'm wondering is how difficult it would be playing this on mobile with touch controls. I get that the optimum way to play is with a controller and I have one but, I want to be able to take this out on the go and play whenever, wherever. Another thing is that button layout looks bad in my opinion. Does it obscure the screen? Will your fingers? Is there button layout options? Controller options? Opacity options? It reminds me of certain Capcom ports. Horrible!!

In the end I will eventually get it. Most likely. Its S.O.T.N on my phone damn it. How bad could it be? As for the cutscenes and the screen shots. They sound and look nostalgically perfect. Bring on all that retro beauty and art I love it. To be honest I might pick this up just to have the icon on my phone to look at. :D.​

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Would've been awesome if Dracula X Chronciles was released, but given that Rondo (and the remake) are now basically just segues to experiencing Symphony, I don't mind the absense. I don't think KONAMI care for the remake (else it would've been ported directly instead of releasing this and Rondo as part of Requiem on consoles), but if Rondo was released (or hell, ANY other CV games) on iOS, you best believe ALL my monies are belong to KONAMI.

14. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    So far it is entirely playable, but you will definitely screw up at times because of the controls. Mostly the d-pad in my case. Unfortunately there are no options I could find for changing size, position, opacity of the controls, which sucks because I'd really like to tweak them a bit and think that would solve my problems with them. Even with the problems though it's playable enough to be enjoyable and I haven't outright gotten stuck at any parts yet. Worth the few bucks for sure.

yankeeblue000 likes this.
  15. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Doesn't matter if you're a noob or not these games can be brutal

16. Thedrawguy

Thedrawguy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2019
    Male
    Had a huge smile on my face the whole time I was playing this!

17. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Make sure you don’t put in the name ‘RICHTER’ or ‘MARIA’ (as you’re prompted to do) if you want to play the game the “normal” way. I had forgotten about the opening playable battle scene until I restarted with no name put in.

Can’t believe this is only $3!

18. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I’m actually scared to buy this.
    I played the original Castlevania on my NES when it was released and had to buy a new controller after I threw the original across the lounge room one too many times while playing it.

I can’t afford to do that with my iPad Pro.

houseofg and yankeeblue000 like this.
  19. David Petersson

Mar 4, 2020
    Any support for filters like "Retro TV" or "Scanlines"?

20. In case you want to see what it looks like on an iPad

ColeDaddy likes this.