Castlevania: Lords of Shadow new trailers and gameplay.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by arta, Sep 21, 2010.

1. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    God damn, all these reviews are making me excited.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I thought I'd made it pretty clear...

3. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    No you didn't. How has it lost its identity? It's freaking Castlevania, the only identity it has is a mixmatch of creatures from random mythologies, with the only holdovers being Dracula, Death, vampires, werewolves and a couple other creatures (like the inexplicable Medusa heads). Oh yeah, and remixing Bloody Tears all the damn time. And all that stuff Castlevania is known for is a result of fandom appeasement rather than any coherent mythology of the games.

Everything else is up to the taste of the gamer makers. And I really can't see anything in this game that says it doesn't feel like Castlevania, other than the fact that this one has ambitious production values.

4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Gamesradar goes most in depth about the combat. First quote is general combat, second quote is combat specifics that set it apart from other action games.

5. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I hope to God the puzzles aren't hard in this game, I suck at puzzles and I get pissed off when I'm in ass kicking mode, yet find myself horribly stuck on some weird puzzle.

6. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I thought the demo for this was supposed to be available today. I checked the PSN store and no sign of it.

7. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    You're right, which is why Castlevania 64 was a total success (sarcasm). Because every game with mythological creatures or a gothic atmosphere is automatically considered a CV-style game (more sarcasm). Never mind the fact an entire genre is partly named after the series (Metroidvania), it's obviously nothing more than aesthetics (enough sarcasm for ya?).

It's on the EU store at least, I just started downloading it.

8. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Is that sarcasm I detect, dear Midian? ;D

*Is being sarcastic*

Oh well, we've established that you are better than I am at this sarcasm malarky.

9. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Gamespot's new review gives it just a 7.5/10... basically calling it ok, but mainly a copy of other games.

10. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    IGN gave it exactly the same.:confused:

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    To be honest, even if it's just a copy of GoW3, at least it'll be longer than 6 hours :p

12. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Hahaha, very very true mate. I doubt it will be as good as GOW3 as it had the pacing down something crazy. But at least we get a double length adventure out of it. Mind you, after watching GT's Video Review... I'm starting to have a less glowing thought process towards it.

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Someone pointed out that GT said the combat is awesome, but puzzles and platforming are a pain... while IGN said the puzzles and platforming are awesome but combat is a pain. Seems both of those attributes are love-it-or-hate-it deals, just gotta hope I end up loving both.

14. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I may be knocking at your door for help with the puzzles my man, I'm horrible at them.

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Just played the demo, wasn't as impressed as I hoped I would be. The graphics are nice, the sound is nice, but the combat was pretty simple, although I was only fighting basic enemies and had no magic. The camera also seemed unecessarily shaky at times... and the horse riding mechanic left a lot to be desired.

That said, it's a good looking game, I love the theme and character/enemy design, plus the combat might improve with upgrades and there's still all the puzzles/platforming to come. I can see it being a worthwhile purchase even if it's not the amazing Castlevania we were all waiting for.

16. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009

I know the gameplay gets more nuanced later with the magic/ focus system. The horse part is a little meh, hoping for better stuff with other animals.

As far as the sub 8 reviews go, the Gametrailers review was a little low but well explained. The IGN and Gamespot review were terrible in their content justification.

[​IMG]

17. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I haven't bothered watching any videos you've posted arta, stop ruining it! :p

18. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Someone got the game early.

19. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I was looking at how much I've spent on PS3 games yesterday, makes me not want to buy anymore ever. I'm thinking of just renting some from now on.

20. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Downloaded the demo off PSN and thought it was, well, ok. It positively wreaks of God of War (which is no bad thing) but the demo just didn't do a great deal for me... the horse riding bit I found to be rather boring.

Interestingly, IGN said in their review that they would recommend it to God if War fans but not Castlevania fans because it doesn't 'feel' like Castlevania which is something I'd have to agree with. Still, its probably the best 3D Castlevania and the visuals are rather pretty.