Universal CastleStorm - Free to Siege (by ZEN Studios Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, May 7, 2014.

1. ruggedland

ruggedland Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Yeah, it's a bit sneaky. The boosters costs such many gems, and you can blow a bunch of them if you don't know what you are doing.

2. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Still not out in Japan and Taiwan.... is it a soft launch?

3. Womble

Womble Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Ok, im sorry for being childish! But what you say is worrying, ill try it out just as soon as i can get to a wifi spot!

4. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    While I was playing I saw the boosters there and just used them. Nothing popped up telling me I was using gems. There wasn't even a gem blue symbol next to the boosters in my on screen inventory only a number. I thought that meant that I had so many of them available to me. Not so. As I used them I didn't notice my gems dwindling until later I noticed I only had 45 left! I had just paid $6.49 for the VIP pack so I was very upset seeing almost all my gems gone without my consent.

I submitted a ticket to Apple just now. Boosters should not show during the game unless you have knowingly purchased them and placed them in your in game inventory. The way it is now even if you accidentally touch the booster you'll lose up to 15 gems a touch. Unacceptable.

5. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Yeah it's not pulled again I'm looking right at it on the App Store.

6. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    #66 Zeillusion, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    Dude when you use your gem powers they use gems. Like the meteor strike uses 15, super fast projectile uses 5 and so on. Next time read the tutorial. Don't go saying it's a ripoff. It's an amazing game. You didn't LOOSE anything, you USED them.

Boosters also use gems as well, could be that.

Don't bash the game, give it 1-2 stars and say NO BAI GAIS, NO BAI. Just because you weren't informed on what uses gems and what doesn't.
    They didn't steal, you didn't loose anything as I said previously.

7. Pivi

Pivi Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Hey all!

I have my eyes on this game, but I'm a little bit concerned about this booster/gems issue.

Are boosters necessary for 3 star completion of levels, or are they just "cheats" to make the game super easy for money?
    I'll happily buy IAP in games, but only if it's not necessary and/or not consumable.

I can buy the PS Vita version too, so if thea freemium model isn't good, then I'll get the Vita version instead.

8. ruggedland

ruggedland Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    #68 ruggedland, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    After playing it for a few hrs, I really start to like this game a lot. No, the boosters aren't needed at all. Their positioning is a bit annoying but they won't fire unless you hold them for a few sec. I have't seen any paywall yet and there is enough gold to purchase upgrade along the way. All in all a very fun game. The soldiers on strike scene was pretty hilarious :).

9. Chaos_u

Chaos_u Well-Known Member

10. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    Have to agree with this - it was obvious to me you needed to pay for these.

I'm going to pay for the VIP - it's a shame you need gems to pay for those bonuses, but sadly that is how gaming on ios is nowadays.

Still a top game though, I enjoyed it on my PS3 and nice to have it handheld now :)

11. London-SV

London-SV Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    You like what... VIP packs?

Maybe you could buy the VIP pack and then uninstall the game or something

12. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Ok all is sweet again. I just deleted the game. Downloaded it again and restored purchases and my 100 gems are back!!

13. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I like having a premium pack where you get multiple things like in this case the VIP and in trials frontier that first beginners pack is all I am saying.

14. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I own this game with both expansion packs on Steam, is there a comparison between PC and iOS version? I love this game, I've got every upgrade maxed out so I kinda don't want to start the same game again not even mention to pay for it "twice". Is it in any way different compared to PC version?
    on the other side, is there a cross-platform multiplayer (working similar to Frozen Synapse for example) so I can play co-op on PC and iPad?

15. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Actually loving this game, the graphics are amazing as well as the gameplay. How do you unlock the other characters is it gems only?

16. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    Did you buy the VIP pack in the end? I'm in suspense here.

17. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Hmmmmm seems like a ripoff game. Smells freemium cr@p.

18. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Yes, it's gems only and they aren't just extra characters, they include new campaigns for that character with unique units and skills.

19. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Yes lol... I enjoy games more when I can alleviate some of the freemium aspects you know?

20. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Game Impressions

I figured this would be a very polished castle defense/offense/light RTS/lane strategy in the vein of Legendary/Monster/Stellar Wars, with a few very small touches of micromanagement and a few more active abilities for additional player control.

Turns out it is a much more unique hybrid than that. The projectile system lends both twitch and Angry Birds-style gameplay to battles (with plenty of different projectiles to make use of, with special abilities to boot, and a physics system that makes room for some nice skillshots), and the hero is a small side-scrolling brawler all by his lonesome. Castle building in the editor kicks the sim and strategy aspects up a few notches, and there is a (at least small) sense of weight and depth to design choices.

And just about everything is upgradeable. And with four heroes with different trees of units and rooms, the game seems unusually packed with content at launch.

Between this and the monstrous World of Tanks Blitz, this seems to be a great week for free gaming on iOS.