Universal Castle of White Night (by Game Stew)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Rin

Rin Active Member

Thank you for so much advices, we will discuss all of them and see anything we can do for the better game experience. :)

2. Rin

Rin Active Member

I have a personal tip: ready several Feather of Wind, if you meet Demon in accident, you can use it to cool-down flee immediately if you don't have dummy anymore.

About running out of torches, you will be assault in combat, too.

Thank you for sharing so much useful advices, may I post them on official FB?

McDeathUK likes this.
  3. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Greatly enjoying this game - it's very challenging though. Level 3 is more forgiving than Level 2, as at least the lift is central so you can zip back to Level 1 to shop and save.

If anyone wants spoilers, I've mapped out Level 2 and Level 3:

Level 2 map

Level 3 map

All the monsters are relatively easy on those maps, except for one called the Stitched Man or something similar, who heals himself and seems impossible to kill.

Level 4 is currently a nightmare, or will be at least until I find the elevator. If there was some way to buy the Stone Lantern teleport stones it would be easier, but as it is I have to save enough lanterns to get all the way across Level 3 and back (to the Level 3 elevator/Level 1 shops). Which means very limited lanterns to explore Level 4, which is so far geographically quite unforgiving.

If anyone has some Level 4 tips, please bring them on!

Also has anyone figured out how to upgrade treasures?

Rin likes this.
  4. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    On the character select screen, tap the treasure chest at the bottom right.

istara likes this.
  5. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Thank you!

6. Rin

Rin Active Member

Hey guys,
    1.0.2 version is update.
    - Minor bug fixed.
    - fix a bug causes game freeze in white button event.
    - fix a bug causes game freeze when investigation.
    - Tutorial now shows only once every character.

7. Rin

Rin Active Member

You reach level 4 without upgrading any treasure? That's amazing! You are already an experienced adventurer. There is one tip you may need. Armor breaker is very useful to some tough boss. Good hunting.

8. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Well, I wish I had known because now I feel like my character is somewhat nerfed, having missed out on extra upgrades and having spent more on consumables as a result of not having any working treasures for ten levels!

9. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    ´
    first level???
    there's just one lamp on the first level pal, that quest doesn't specify where they are.

10. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Any thoughts on a “quick save” option? I can save & quit at any time but when I continue the save is gone so if I die without having saved at a lamp you still lose everything. In my opinion that keeps the difficulty & need to save at a lamp but you can go in-&-out of the game b/c it is a mobile game.

Thank you for letting me know about the lamp.

11. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    I agree - the save limitations make it very difficult for a mobile game. But with the amount of mapping involved, I'm playing it at my laptop anyway, with the (huge) level maps on my laptop screen.

12. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    I do have a request: when you use the dummy/doll to escape the Pale Spirit (or whatever its name is) you should end up positioned on a different square. Eg one behind/one in front. Otherwise it's impossible to know whether to go backwards or forwards depending on which way it decides to go (and you can't see which way you're facing, because it's still sitting on top of you).

13. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
  14. Rin

Rin Active Member

Thanks for the advices about Quick Save and position move after escaping. Devs are discussing them now.

15. McDeathUK

McDeathUK Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    Sure

16. McDeathUK

McDeathUK Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    So down to level 3 and some thoughts and critique. None of this should be taken as a dismissal of the game which I have been playing for a few days in a row now and still enjoying it

1) I only just discovered that you can update the treasures ONLY on the menu page only, but to be honest, the majority of this stuff is only going to be relevant for new playthroughs.
    2) Sadly, and no disrespect to the game which I have (am still) enjoyed.. I don't think I will be trying a second playthrough, same game slightly different character (assumed?). The levels are just too big, and too much time spent running around looking at exactly the same view on the maze viewer and doing them again is not appealing. Most of my time is spent looking at the mini map to be honest. I understand that the dev is all about simple, retro style gaming (and I will be checking out the other games) but to be honest the 3d view is pretty immaterial and not really needed and the mazes are just too samey to justify being as large as they are. Half sized levels + double the food / drink / torch consumption rate would have been a better choice methinks
    3) As well as 'teleport to last lamp' I think we need , 'teleport to last village' and 'teleport to last elevator', 'teleport to entrance' stones. having to run about 60+ squares to to get to one of these places is 'blerg'
    4) I suspect a better idea for future derivations of this will be that each level or set of levels is aimed at one of the characters only, and completing the levels then unlocks the next character and next levels (repeat) giving a reason to switch characters, and a different experience for each. You can then (after game done) run all the levels with a character of your choice. Each level is self container, levels grow quicker, and when character reaches exit that game is 'over' but with slightly more gold, slightly better treasure, and a reason to switch and push on

Sorry if this seemed overly negative, maybe I am overthinking this simple game.

Rin and Gwarmaxx like this.
  17. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

i agree with all of your points, same thoughts here.

18. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    I also don't plan to play through with a second character, or finish the game, as my character is basically nerfed from not having discovered the treasure thing.

Another issues is that grinding is nearly impossible - the frequency of monsters isn't high enough vs the amount you spend on consumables roaming around waiting for them to appear. Once you've done most of the quests and killed most of the fixed monsters, if you've burned through your cash you're out of luck.

I do recall it was easier to grind for cash in other Game Stew games. They also got easier as you went on, particularly with a bit of grinding, whereas this one is getting punishingly hard. I tried using the armour breaker tool that was mentioned but it made no appreciable difference. Some monsters are just simply too hard.

I am enjoying the challenge of mapping and having mapped Levels 2, 3 and 4 will see if I can map Level 5.

19. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    What if you just search repeatedly?

20. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    I didn't think to try that! I'll do so after I finish mapping the last floor. Work got in the way the past couple of days but hopefully I'll get to it this weekend.