Universal Castle of Shikigami (Japanese Only)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Holsety

Holsety Member

May 20, 2014
    Touch 5G here.
    Plenty of minor things to nitpick. Would have liked a bit more screen real estate (or options like CAVE offers). Especially puzzled about the black bars top and bottom.

The special shot button has been placed somewhere especially terrible, and two out of six characters' special attacks are NOT suited for touch controls.
    I also would have liked the controls to be a bit more sensitive? Feels like 1:1 or slightly lower, personally I'd prefer just a tad more.

Those minor quibbles aside (and really I'm nitpicking on purpose), it's a solid game really. Game loads fast as lightning as has been mentioned before. Despite the windowed nature the play area actually looks perfect (it doesn't feel/look cramped at all while you're playing).
    The game keeps up a very fast pace both in play and in the menus, and there's some added niceties for keeping track of your high scores.

For this price I can recommend it. An update could take it from "really nice" to "CAVE good" though.

2. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    What is each button's function? I can't read them.

And just in case I want to, is there an option to rearrange them?

3. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    There's no option to rearrange the controls that I have found.

The upper right button is the pause button.

The upper left button is the special attack button, which does something different for each character. You have to hold it down. I still don't understand exactly how to use the special attacks.

The lower left button uses a bomb, which clears all bullets currently on the screen.

4. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #44 Intendro, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    Is that "off" button a toggle for auto-fire?

Special attack at the upper left... Why not with the other buttons down there?! :confused:

I'm not liking how tiny it'd be on my iPhone 5...

5. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Yeah, forgot about the fire button. It toggles firing on and off. The button will say "Off" if firing is on, and will say "On" when firing is off. I agree the special attack button location is weird.

6. Holsety

Holsety Member

May 20, 2014
    How to use specials for scoring, or in general?
    If you wait a bit during character select it shows both regular shot and special attack.

For the boy, it's a homing ghost. For the miko a spiraling hawk that destroys some bullet types (and damages enemies).
    The guy in the hat gets three lightning orbs on leashes, passing an orb over an enemy "sticks" it to them (it will continue to damage them regardless of distance).
    The man with the guitar case gets a sword, moving your characters rotates your blades.
    The witch and last character have the same type of special; while you hold the special key pressed your character stops but you can control a reticle. Letting go calls down orbital strikes.

The longer your character stays alive and/or gets close to bullets you power up (max 4 levels). Getting hit powers you down. Specials power up as well.

Getting close to enemies or bullets raises your "Tension"; your regular shot is twice as strong but you ALSO get more coins (up to 8x depending on how close you are).

For the lightning orbs guy, the miko and the man with the swords, you can powerup to max in the first stage if you agressively hug all the enemies and only use your special attack up till the boss.

You can also turn on/off double-tapping to bomb in the options screen.

That's all I've been able to figure out from playing and reading, hope it's handy for someone!

7. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Thanks a lot Holsety. That was some very useful info.

8. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Yes. I second tht, great info, to!

9. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Yes, thanks.

Wondering if anyone beat the game without a continue ? I did not, of course. To get through stage 3-2 works sometimes, but that's it then. Not even on very easy mode.

Though Gamecenter was working for me before, this pretty fast update gives me some hope for more to come. We'll see...

10. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I don't think I'll ever be good enough to beat this game on one continue, even on "very easy" mode. It's crazy hard compared to other shmups I've played. The thing is the difficulty is uneven. There will be some sections even in levels 4 and 5 where I do pretty well in easy mode, and then all of a sudden it will throw some extremely dense bullet field at me coming from all directions, where I can't see how I could possibly make it through. It's still very fun playing through it though. I love the grazing mechanic in this game. I've played other shooters with grazing, but I like immediately apparent the effect is in this game.

11. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    This game was recently updated, did the update eliminate the black bars from screen on the iPhone/iTouch? Or are the black bars still present?

12. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
  13. Holsety

Holsety Member

May 20, 2014
    #53 Holsety, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    For me it does not work at all anymore. Fantastic.
    So yeah PSA DO NOT UPDATE I guess.
    Time to see if I can get the old version back on.

14. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Which device are you using?

15. Holsety

Holsety Member

May 20, 2014
    Touch 5G. Put the previous version (1.0.2) back, and that one works. I might try and run this new update on an iPad Air later today; I'll post results.

16. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I'm happy for you guys with an iphone 6 plus, but useless for my 5s, which runs fine, still.

A week after release they included Gamecenter and i thought, hell yeah, they care and might provide us with the best possible options in the near future. Nope, the important upper left side button, your secundary weapon/ghost, is still in this...only one word comes to my mind, but very loud...STUPID position.

A screen-size optimization à la Cave's would have been my second wish. Nope. Never. Pity, it's a brilliant shmup and played the best on ipad mini and up.

17. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Agreed about the secondary weapon position. What do you mean about the screen size optimization though?

The game runs great on my iPad 4, iPhone 6, and iPhone 4s. My only complaints are the secondary weapon button placement, and that I wish the easy difficulty level was easier. I love bullet hell games, but don't have the reaction times to play them at a high level. I really appreciate that the Cave games have difficulty settings that work well for me, while still catering to experts as well. In this game, even the easiest difficulty level is too hard for me after a few stages.