iPad Castle Of Magic Free Version Is Out

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Jun 23, 2009.

1. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    #1 eggzbacon, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
    [app]Castle of Magic FREE[/app]

[​IMG]

2. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    Came on just to post this. Glad they came out with one!

3. Clymos

Clymos Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I will have to try this one now.

4. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    One level?! come on, at least give us 2 or 3!

5. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

Just beat the full game, man its great!

6. zipper

zipper Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    This is great, thanks for the new. pretty much took castle off my radar once there was news of fps stutter, controls, and lack of replayablility. Now the developer is making me pick it up and i might buy it.

7. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    The point of a lite is to try and get people to buy your game, not give away too much =] Besides, the levels in this game are fairly long so one will allow the player to get the jist of things.

8. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    its really a little strange that game with only on level. but your explanation reasonable & acceptable. you also move off my confusion :)

9. McJaws

McJaws Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    I like it, makes me want to get the full version and it really looks like the best platform game available up to now.

I love the character and how he switches from one costume to the next. Its pure classic fun with beautiful graphics.

Good stuff

BUT

I've never been fond of the Dpad and action buttons on the screen. Gameloft has adopted this on their apps and it in effect keeps me away from them outside of their lite versions.

Is it just me or has the function of tilting your iPhone left or right is the preferred option to move your character forward or backwards? It's simply less clutter on the screen and if the devs do a great job with the sensitivity its seamless.

if you like the Dpad, it's simply a question if you like the theme.

cheers,

10. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I actually really like this game, I might buy it.

11. Scott30

Scott30 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2009
    I dont generally like the clutter of a dpad and buttons on screen but thats the limitations of the device there, I wouldn't prefer tilt movement in this situation I dont wanna look at the screen sideways afterall in a platform game. Bounce On does this but at least thats kinda the point in that game.

I prefer buttons/Dpad to be a bit less transparent or invisible altogether or even proximity touch in certain areas triggers button a or b and so on. I've seen it work well in other games. Everyone has their own preferences though, but the more options the better I say.

12. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Don't really like the controls in this game, the graphics are nice though. It seems to stutter a bit on my Touch though. Good thing I played the free version first, I saved my money.

13. zipper

zipper Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Hmm I didn't get any stutter on my 2g touch. I would take a dpad over tilt controls any day of the week. No the controls aren't perfect, but worked fine for me and wasn't a problem. Although worms is making this a tough choice for me. I'm worried about the replayablility and difficulty. Obviously the first level is easy but does it get noticibly harder?

14. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Well, good thing I didn't jump the shark and bought the full version as I was hesitant about it anyways. Now I can try it out first hand. Been waiting for a good platformer for the iDevice too.

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    The framerate is stuttering on my iPhone 3G and the game is just alright in my opinion. I much prefer them porting Hero of Sparta or Prince of Persia as 2D platformer (like for other mobiles) to the AppStore. I miss some old-school platformer and this one feels like a cheap Mario - wannabe.

16. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    tried it... pretty good,

oops Gameloft?

put in my 99 cents waiting list.... haha :D

Gameloft rocks 99 99 99 99 99 99

17. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    like this game so much, surely to get it! but just wonder any updates?

18. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Well it is gameloft, they normally don't add to their games once released. Usually what you see is what you get. I will be getting this game but I have to wait a little while. They will surely decrease the price of the full game some point in the future.

19. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

In situations where there are tricky jumps or narrow platforms, I'm sure no one will wish there was a tilt-control scheme. After all pressing a button is always more accurate than tilting; you might tilt slightly more and end up falling off a cliff.

20. killswitch

killswitch Member

Aug 4, 2009
    L.A.
    The graphics are just stunning. But I wonder if they just couldn't polish the level design around the control flaws. I mean they certainly do know the problems with their dped. So why are there still plenty of places you can just get stuck so easily.

Nevertheless much fun and not to hard.

I'm keen on a sequel...