Universal Castle Doombad (by Adult Swim & Grumpyface)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jan 8, 2014.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I believe to get the crown she can't be touched at all no matter what.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    How much coins do you guys get in stage 1-10? I have bought the doubler and im getting 400 each run. At that rate it's still a bit grindy, so without the doubler it feels it would be pathetic would it not?

On the good side, grinding is still pretty fun so far.

Really digging this... And im not even a fan of defense games.

3. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I get 400 coins a run on level 10 with no doubler so I've just been repeating this to get everything I want as I'm so good at the level now I can complete it in minutes and with only a couple of traps.

As for IAP a dev would be foolish not to put any in if there's a chance as there are always lazy people willing to throw their money away unnecessarily. If someone were to throw money at me of sure keep it! IAP here is only for currency you don't need to buy it at all ever, the prices are really cheap for the currency and the doubler anyway but honestly don't like it put you off it's so unnecessary.

4. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I purchased this game without waiting for a sale, based on the quality of prior AS games, this forum and the reliability of the regular forum members here. I am not disappointed!! This is a great game. I look forward to getting further into the game.

5. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    The doubler and rest of the IAP are totally unnecessary. I'm on the second chapter and haven't felt that its at all grindy. You just play the game and you earn enough to buy new traps and upgrade them. But if you want to get them quick you can do what some of the other posts say and play one level over and over so that you can open up traps and do upgrades.

6. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Then the DOUBLER ISNT WORKING. Im also farming lv1-10 and getting 400 per run WITH THE DOUBLER ACTIVE.

Please fix. Thanks!

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup... I thought the doubler was working and im getting what im getting which is why i thought the game was grindy without the doubler.

Found out it wasnt working, and that the doubler is supposed to ease out the grinding a lot.

8. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Maybe the doubler only works for the coins that drop throughout the level and not for the reward at the end of the level.

9. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Not levels 1-10 I'm only doing level 10 that gives the best reward being 400 if you try 10 and the princess doesn't get moved at all with your doubler you should get 800. The earlier levels only give 200 I believe so 400 is double.

Oh and Grumpy so far one thing I'd really really like is another wall trap, don't get me wrong there are so so many traps which is amazing but only 2 wall vents, I chill with ac then for the next few spaces use a poison vent as they are already chilled but with a poison dripper above does it all stack? I'd like a vent to set aflame or something else if we could. Mainly though I'd like to know if 2 poison vents in a row will stack the poison duration or just reset with a fresh one?

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I meant world 1, stage 10.

That said, im only getting 400 even with a doubler active, not 800.

11. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    #131 orangecan, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    Anyone got any idea How do you get the 'give 5 heroes a workout on the treadmill at the same time achievement? I've tried this a few times and seen at least 6 running at the same time without getting the award?

Also when your getting the achievements and it specifies, for example use only wall and ceiling traps, is the scream generator considered to be a 'trap'?

12. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I just placed a pile of treadmills down and I picked it up fine used treadmills along all of floor 1 and weapons on higher floors just to get it.

When it says only wall and ceiling I don't use the scream generator I think it is considered a floor defence. I have completed 26/30 now and am stuck when it says complete stage or endless with another task as part of a mission. I complete a stage doing as it says but doesn't work for that.

13. GrumpyfaceChris

GrumpyfaceChris Well-Known Member

Hey guys, we're back in the office today so happy to field questions

On the Doom-shekel Doubler:

I'm afraid that the Doubler was set up to only double the amount given by the "tappable" coins while playing the game. Normally they are worth 5, but with the doubler they are forever worth 10. The idea behind this IAP was that it was meant to be more of a "long-term/game-wide" investment, rather than something that would provide quick returns through grinding.

We probably should have boosted up this IAP a little bit as I realize it's not a drastic benefit -- we'll take a look and see if we can improve it in the near future. Exact-Pscience: it's important to me as a developer to never mislead consumers about what they are getting when buying something, so if the description of the doubler in the store was misleading I want to apologize to you for that.

On grinding and stage-end coin awards: I'm happy to see that you guys are enjoying the game enough that you're able to "grind" and still have fun, though I do want to say that we never really intended for this to be a "grindy" game (with the one exception of replaying levels to improve your performance/get the crowns -- that is a fun and intended challenge!)

The later stages (especially the back half of chapter 2 and all of chapter 3) actually award more coins for beating them than the Chapter 1 stages do, which is suppose to alleviate the grind as you progress through the game and help out with the fact that the more powerful traps are more expensive to unlock and upgrade. If you're looking to earn more coins, I'd suggest to try to progress a bit further to the more challenging stages which will reap better rewards (especially Endless Mode, actually. If you can unlock it, it's a great way to earn large amounts of coins -- and it's more fun to replay as the castles are randomized!)

One final note on the way end-stage coin bonuses work: the amount you're awarded is doubled if you crown the stage, versus not crowning the stage

Floor traps: Yes, generators are considered floor traps. Actually, everything in the game that isn't in the "minion" category is considered a "trap"

Effects like poison, fire, chill, etc: The AC chill/slowdown DOES stack with the poison effect, but does not stack with the fire effect (because fire melts the ice! ;) )

Applying the same effect to an enemy more than once only stacks in duration. For example: if you put multiple poison generators next to eachother, they are only refreshing/restarting how long the poison effect lasts on the enemy -- it's not multiplying the damage. Same with fire

Hope all the above helps!

14. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    So no word on the camera snap??

15. GrumpyfaceChris

Sorry, missed that one. I see what you mean about those interrupts being annoying in the situation you described (BTW, nice to see someone using the strategy of disposing of unneeded traps in a pinch to get the extra screams!).

Though we have to prioritize what adjustments/improvements we can schedule and might not be able to fit in everything right away, I'll definitely add it to the list. Thanks for the feedback, syntheticvoid!

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Will there be an Android version of this?

17. GrumpyfaceChris

On that note: I'd love to hear other suggestions you guys have for game improvements and additions -- especially what you'd like to see for new content (new traps, minions, hero types, chapters, etc) I noticed the suggestion above for more wall traps so that's a good start :)

18. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Thanks for the reply and I thought the poison would just reset the timer. As for new traps I'd definitely like to see another wall trap at least maybe something like a broken furnace that breathes fire?

Could also use a baby dragon in a cage hanging down as a ceiling trap for fire or even an ice dragon? A new minion would be cool too and given the game there are countless things you could use with this fantasy theme as for heroes.

Hope nothing sounds unhappy as I love this game and it already has so much variety ect in traps. I'd also love endless mode to be more endless or a mode where it saves upon exit where we compete for high scores on who can last the longest with floors continually being added and more and more enemies coming ect.

19. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    No... nonononono, thank YOU! This game is outstanding. And it's so great always seeing you here gathering up feedback. It makes it very easy to like & root for you guys to do well. Thank you for considering my little suggestion. =oD

And now... off to boot up my phone and play more Castle Doombad! Woooo! =oP

20. Foghorn Irrascible

Foghorn Irrascible Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    #140 Foghorn Irrascible, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    Further to what I was saying earlier about suspicion for any non-free game that includes not only a coin doubler but also expendable currency IAPs:

I'm reading too many good things about this to not try it, and I'm going to try and pretend there aren't IAPs to see if the amount of grind required (if any) feels no different to an IAP-free game that also requires a certain amount of grind to progress.

For example, the Playstation Vita version of Sonic Transformed is pure gaming with no IAPs but still requires replaying courses over and over at different difficulties to level up and earn stars etc, and that cannot be skipped with a purchase, and I'm fine with that because I don't feel like that grind has been conceived with the potential for monetisation in mind.

I'm optimistic because of what I've read, but I am still really curious about how the decision to include IAPs might in any way influence the direction development goes. I just feel so strongly that it most often changes the tone and the balance irrevocably away from pure enjoyment towards exploiting that enjoyment for a stream of cash from the player.

Aaaanyway, here goes :)