Universal Castle Doombad (by Adult Swim & Grumpyface)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jan 8, 2014.

1. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    GrumpyfaceChris,

Congrats on the game release! It is nice to see the work by one of the longtime TA members.

Will be buying this game for sure. At a minimum to support fellow TA member. Very polished graphics as judged from the demo. I am particularly interested in exploring the game balance, with and without the IAP. Appreciate your upfront explanation about this delicate topic.

BTW, can you tell us a bit about the development history of this game? How long did you spend creating it?

2. GrumpyfaceChris

GrumpyfaceChris Well-Known Member

Thanks very much y2kmp3!

Doombad was a blast to work on -- it's our third collaboration with Adult Swim (after Bring Me Sandwiches!! and Super Mole Escape)

Development on this one was quite involved and spanned most of 2013 (as it ended up being quite a large game) and we went through a number of revisions on the direction before settling on the final side-view/"cutout" style for the castle.

One interesting tidbit is that the original concept, title, and pitch for Doombad was actually from 2010, and it was one of the concepts that was considered at the same time Bring Me Sandwiches!! was greenlit.

Hope you guys enjoy it :)

3. Ramaz1234

Ramaz1234 Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Game looks amazing. Will be for sure picking this up tonight.

4. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    You guys did Bring me Sandwiches and Super Mole Escape? If I was on the fence before, I've definitely got off it now - both of those games were fantastic! Looking forward to the release window even more now!

5. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #45 y2kmp3, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    Just saw another gameplay video from other sources.

There are some achievements you can get at the end of each level. From that footage, it does not seem to be possible to score some of the achievements just by playing the level ONCE and ONLY ONCE. Is it the game's intention that you are to replay a level several times to "accumulative" enough to score a particular achievement (like killing some number of heroes)? Are these achievements level specific or are they just a single large set that you can score from different levels? Are there any plenty (such as losing coins) for failing a level and having to retry again?

Also, are the list of these achievements only visible through GameCenter? Many of us don't use that, so it is important to see this list in the game without using Apple's GameCenter.

6. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Great games indeed, will buy to support, also game looks fantastic! Now just got to wait till the release time, lol.

7. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
  8. planckboy

planckboy Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Another GrumpyFace game! I'm happy - thanks Chris! U guys make games that make my face, well, not grumpy.
    Downloading this for sure!

9. planckboy

planckboy Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    "Cough" Game of the Week "cough"

10. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Grumpy face, wow! What a game!! This is what I've been playing since the moment it downloaded, and I love it. I was planning on just playing a few stages, and then getting the rest of my apps for the week, and then I ended up just playing this. It's fantastic! I don't usually love this type of game, but here, it works so well! This will be hard to beat for GOTW.

11. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

OMG! This game is totally AWESOME! Loving it, I have yet to fire up the other releases, lol.

12. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    The headache is the indicator that you shouldn't.

Reminds me of Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget and Ghost House.

13. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    I assume this doesn't have iCloud saving? I don't like having to unlock everything twice...

14. Xaintrix

Xaintrix Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    #54 Xaintrix, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    I love this game. You're free to use any level to complete challenges so you can set yourself up for success. You can also grind coins and get the crown bonus repeatedly so I can't ever see myself get stuck. Basically it's as difficult or easy/grindy as you make it. Up for a challenge then just don't repeat levels as much as possible. Want to feel a little OP for awhile, fight a map you have down. Very impressed.

@Nacht - no cloud saves as far as I can tell. My phone doesn't have my ipad progress.

15. that420guy

that420guy New Member

Nov 27, 2013
    very fun and unique!! great job

16. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    Well, it works, but not too well. Even after rebooting the device, I'm experiencing regular slowdowns and also had it crash at one point (probably due to low memory).

17. raijen

raijen Active Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Canada, Eh?
    Anyone tried it on an iPhone 4?

Anyone tried this on an iPhone 4? I'm definitely keen on it, but have been burnt recently about newer games not running at a playable frame rate on my admittedly old device :)

18. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    One look at the screens and I wasn't interested, until I saw the pedigree behind it. This is the only game worth getting tonight, it is a very nice mix of light tower defense and arcade tapping management. Definitely a little bit of PvZ feel to it, and everything about the game is solid and fun. I have maybe played through the first ten levels or so, and I really don't think IAP is going to be necessary or a bother. If you want you can grind through levels you have previously done and there are many ways to go about things.

Nice pace, almost frantic but never too busy, I will say it again this is the only release worth grabbing today.

19. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Only game I got that come out this week so far and I love it and have yet to try anything else.

20. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    this one reminds me of tiny heroes mixed with that final fantasy spin off from wii (i think its called "i want to be the dark lord" or something like it.

anyways great game. only played the first 7 or so levels, but its a lot of fun. not going to buy the coin doubler tho. seems to earn a decent amount without it.