Universal Castle Doombad (by Adult Swim & Grumpyface)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jan 8, 2014.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    For me it was actually more fun and drove me to come back and complete it quicker but you are right PvZ is great.

2. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    When a friend gave it to me, I finished it (PvZ) in on the same afternoon :eek:

3. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #243 Intendro, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    I unpause and the camera jumps to the bottom floor. This is annoying.

Would be nice if there was a smaller screen for trap selection, so I don't have to scroll through the whole list to pick traps. Kind of like Plant vs Zombies's compact list. :p

Also, the list isn't quite as organized as I'd like. Scream generator should be first. The arrow gun and fire gun would logically be beside each other. If the list was a faster compact one, it wouldn't matter as much though.

The game doesn't remember your trap selection. Again, a quick compact list would be nice. :)

And you can't rearrange your selected traps without selecting them in the order you want.
    Can you possibly add the compact list I'm sure I mentioned way too many times? :p

Here's glitches I've run into...

One time the camera scrolled up when the overlord was going to add floors for the next wave, causing me to accidentally try to put a trap where it can't go, and I triggered the glitch someone else mentioned:
    The overlord talking results in not adding more floors if he's talking when he's supposed to add floors. I reset the level.

Da Boot, if used before the rotate button goes away, will still have "Tap!" shown on it for a short time after the rotate button goes away (even though you used it already and can't tap it again yet).

Several times, a commando has had a frozen bullet spark effect floating in front of his head, as if the effect failed to disappear when he switched from shooting to walking.
    Once, the above happened with a spark far from the commando and said commando was falling due to dying. The effect appeared to be attached to him in the same sort of way.

Once, a super hero had his head screwed on wrong. :p It was at the wrong angle.

Something weird happened with a ninja and a treadmill. It sort of climbed upside down below the treadmill and then got past it. Something like that. I'm not sure what happened exactly because it was already happening when I looked.

4. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I've had very little bugs but also had the muzzle flash above a unit many a time and also once while my princess was moved I never watch it and scroll down right away, one time it had my princess floating in the air for the rest of the battle.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I had the princess's chamber floating in between floors. No one experience that bug yet?

6. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    People saying this is the same quality of pvz I gotta try this game...

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I've had enemies wind up below the princess (in World 3) numerous times, I've tried dropping minions down there (sometimes this does work), but other than that, there's nothing I can do other than restart the stage.

And on another note - I'm almost done with the campaign part of the game... Stage 3-15, that door up top got me... gonna be a hard one. =oD

Can't wait to seriously get into Endless Mode. I've only played a couple games and have only made it to night 7... but this is, yet another Grumpyface game that will never leave my device. =oD

8. mrmort

mrmort Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Been loving this game, halfway through the 2nd castle. Worth it! Hopefully they add in more castles and traps. More minion traps would be nice sucks there is only 4 of them. But overall great game!

9. GrumpyfaceChris

GrumpyfaceChris Well-Known Member

Thanks all for these bug reports -- the "enemies/princess getting stuck" stuff will definitely be tackled and fixed in an update soon, as well as a number of other small fixes. Stay tuned!

10. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    You sure do!

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    WOOHOO!!! I just beat stage 3-15 & got the 'Hail To The King, Baby!' achievement! =oD

Now I've just gotta reach the 50th floor in Endless Mode and I'll be done! Not with the game... but... with playing every spare minute I can... =oP

12. GrumpyfaceChris

GrumpyfaceChris Well-Known Member

Congrats syntheticvoid!! Nicely done :) What did you think of the challenge level on the master stages?

13. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Finished!

Collected all crowns and reached level 9 on endless. Endless is a lot of fun, a lot. That alone warrants that Castle Doombad will stay on my iPhone for a long time.

Good: I didn't have so fun with a tower defense game since Plants Vs Zombies. The variety in the turrets give for some diverse defending. My favorite were the Fatty Troll in combo with spikes, poison air and saw with a fire cannon behind it, some healing minions and some attacking minions, and that after coming from a mace of spikes, poison vents and saws.... No one stood there for a lot of time. So much fun. Grumpyface delives yet another gem to iOS. They have a great backlog: Wispin, Bring Me Sandwiches and Super Mole Escape, and all are fun and creative. And Castle Doombad is no less.

Bad: I had to replay all levels a lot of times to get the cash needed for the upgrades, but the game is so fun that I didn't care at all, you will grind with a smile on your face. But its on the bad section because it has double currency. And if its not needed why its there? I dont get it it only scares customers away. Having to collect screams and coins in game subtracts a bit from the fun, a tiny little bit but enough to be noticed.

Conclusion: One of those rare games, like Ridiculous Fishing, Fist of Awesome or Knighmare Tower to name some of them, that comes by and you have to compulsively finish it, and soon, because you are addicted and want to play it all the time. 5 out of 5 stars. Highly Recommended.

14. Eriatarka

Eriatarka Active Member

Jan 10, 2014
    #254 Eriatarka, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    I'm half way through Tower 2. So far, I've won pretty much every level by planting a few scream generators on the top floor, then converting all long floor areas into spike traps, the A/C cooler, and Lil Minions (with a minion bomb every now and then when things get hectic). I don't really see any need for other traps since this combo seems to beat everything (fully upgraded Lil Minions seem a bit overpowered, especially given their low cost).

Does the game need more tactical variety later? Because it seems a bit flat at the moment.

15. Eriatarka

Eriatarka Active Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Also it would be really really nice if attacking heroes had a health bar above their heads so you could see how close they were to dying.

16. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    For one part it will help, but for the other it would remove the tension of guessing, and guessing more with what trap to add, if it is enough, etc... find it fun that way.

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im with this. If you know when a hero would die, you wont prep for more traps along the way, and would defeat the purpose of having to make "panic-made" traps, which is a huge part of the game's fun and challenge for me.

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This may be too early to say this, but i'll say it anyway coz i have a strong feeling about this.

Castle Doombad is where my 2014 Game of the Year list starts. :)

19. Nyx1978

Nyx1978 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Since yesterday the game doesn't load anymore for me, after starting up it is stuck on the Adult Swim Games logo and doesn't load.

Any others with this problem?

20. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    A fantastic game from start to end....My only comment is that the maps recycle on endless mode so a few more maps to add variety wouldnt go amiss!

Do the devs have any intention to add further levels in the future a la kingdom rush et al?