Universal Castle Doombad (by Adult Swim & Grumpyface)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jan 8, 2014.

1. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #201 TheFrost, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    I like this one. I dont like gems in a paid app at all, but the game is a lot of fun. Please remove the gems if they dont do anything. They only scare possible customerS away.

2. shiios42

shiios42 Member

Oct 30, 2012
    #202 shiios42, Jan 13, 2014
    Suggestion

What a game! Kudos to the developer for having such a clean track record for releasing quality games. i haven't unlocked all traps and yet I'm already craving for more content, even the inevitable sequel! ;). I would just like to suggest ideas for future updates:

Heroes:

Samurai:
    There are ninjas, so where are the swordsmen? They could have certain abilities like being able to slice through projectiles at a given time , and maybe they can pierce armor off of that troll.

Bionic man:
    Could be a robocop like soldier, can withstand secondary effects (poison, burning ice etc) can be tough and can act as a tank to other heroes.

Viking:
    Slow moving and tanky at first, but after recieving a certain amount of damage , would suddenly lash out with rage. ( increased speed ang attack speed during rade mode)

Wizards:
    Can heal other units, or temporarily disable a trap. yes this would require certain balance changes and maybe the addition of more overpowered traps :p

Secret agent:
    Can disguise as a minion and ignore traps. Can be uncovered by manual traps, other minions, or when close to the princess. Very fragile.

Traps: well, the scope is rather large on this one, so I'll leave it the developers, I like the shark pit idea from one of the comments though, maybe even a mind control device. Lavas, portals, pet dragons, a banana. The possibilities are endless.

Castle 4:
    Since castle 3 gives you underground levels, why not have enemies coming from below and above?? The princess would be located in the middle of the castle, and heroes can come from above through parachutes/planes while others normally go from below. This could add a deeper layer of strategy since you have to manage traps within different paths. This can also make it progressively harder since I found it easy reaching the third world with all past levels crowned.

Also, a button to clear of that obtrusive dialogue of lord evil stein whenever you make a blunder

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #203 syntheticvoid, Jan 13, 2014
    Edit

If you want to go off on developers for having dual currencies, that is fine. But do it in a thread for a game that actually has dual currencies, not here.

The blue gems are 200 dollar coin pieces that you need for 3 things in-game, returning the princess to her tube, buying special power ups and replaying endless levels instead of starting from scratch. That's it...

The fact that coins can be traded in for gems lends itself even more to this...

4. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    #204 Jrec15, Jan 13, 2014
    One question: does healing stack? I've been trying out a troll + medic minion strategy.. And when i go for 2 medic minions it often feels like they get through just as fast as if i had done 1. Thanks, really great game by the way!

Would also like to say i just realized when the sexy knight stops for a second he is taking selfies, LOL nice touch

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Er... I thought he was looking at a mirror. o_O

6. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    To those burnt with IAP like me, I suggest you try the first two games made by Grumpyface: Wispin and Bring Me Sandwiches. They are wonderful imaginative games without IAP. After all, Grumpyface is among the best on iOS... just that ever since Cartoon Network/PikPok came in, they went downhill. And I'm sure its CN´s hand, who also made a big impact on Adventure Time and its currency. I also know that Grumpyface will never be able to comment on this since there is a contract in place.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wispin/id381527856?mt=8&ls=1

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bring-me-sandwiches!!/id457603026?mt=8

7. SwimCeej

SwimCeej Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I help make iOS games!
    Atlanta, GA
    To clarify - Cartoon Network and Adult Swim Games are separate, though yes both part of the same television network. PikPok is one of the developers we (Adult Swim Games) work with but they've had nothing to do with releases that are not developed themselves.

I understand that seeing 2 currencies makes some people nervous. I believe this game is structured in a very fair way where you'd either never need to use the second currency or should be fine with the amount given to you by completing goals. We're very mindful of what people think of the games we put out and really try hard to make them as balanced and fair as possible.

I want you (and all our players) to have a good experience with all of the games we fund/publish whether you decide to make an in-app purchase or not. That's my goal. And like I said, I believe you would with Castle Doombad. Not sure what else to say there. *shrug*

8. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #208 Intendro, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    Coins are for traps and their upgrades, gems are for one-use powerups.
    Seems fair enough.
    It's not like the gems are an ultra rare thing like in all those freemium games where people really should complain a lot. They aren't rare.

9. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Are there any other games like this on the ipad?

10. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    ^ this
    Supposed to be pointing to Connector's comment

11. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

IAP is not required! Almost got all "crowns" and only paid for the price of admission. Little grinding, only because I wanted to fully upgrade traps, that is it. The grinding part was welcomed, only to get the crowns and to see what traps full upgrade offers. You will gain "cheats" in later levels as heroes will drop them. Totally worth it and the IAP's are for the impatient and people who don't want to earn the crowns as intended.

12. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Video games are fun. This video game is fun

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Tiny Heroes is fairly similar. One level but many variations on floor layout and a more top down approach. But it has traps, various characters (ie., minions) and a good sense of humor. I still think overall this game is more fun and maybe even a tad easier than Tiny Heroes.

14. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Tiny Heroes is a good one to compare too and honestly I can't think of any that similar that were anywhere near as good bar the obvious Plants Vs Zombies 1 and 2.

15. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Ok.. The pirate cannon. How do you choose which way to aim it? Just severely screwed me over and i cant figure it out

Edit: nevermind got it. You click the reversal button that shows up temporarily when building

16. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Ok looked into tiny heros to see if this game is my style but I can't find it in the App Store, it removed?

17. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    you need to spell heroes correctly and FYI, it's iphone only...

18. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

No offense, but the spelling is correct. Looked it up on Merriman-Webster dictionary :)

19. thesinmaster

thesinmaster Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Well, defineyely a good game, reminds me "orcs must die!"

Needs an extra screen for upgrading traps ( not only in the beginning in each level )

And needs mire levelssssssss :)))

20. nobius

nobius Active Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Since you're looking for a way to improve the doubler, how about make that IAP also automatically collect all screams and coins for you? Would be a big help.