Universal Castle Battles : Strategy but FAST (by Light Arc Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BlackEyedGamer, Apr 25, 2017.

1. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Video would be good.
    Give people a taste of that original music, too.

2. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    What's the advantage of grouping them like a hive? I see the enemies doing that

3. Light Arc Studio

Apr 21, 2017
    CB-Symbol1.jpg

First paragraph's Tldr: "Thanks yall!"
    Wow, it's so nice to see three pages of constructive comments and compliments. Kudos to the Touch Arcade community! Our launch might not have seen many downloads, but we're happy to see that the people getting the game are enjoying it! We're currently working up a flashier icon to draw people's eye, but at the end of the day it all comes down to word of mouth and continued outreach on our part. Thanks again to all those playing and sharing!

I'd use quotes, but it would make this massive comment response even larger. So I'll just explain things in a way that makes good advice for everyone reading.

@TheSop Castle Battles saves to your game file in the traditional fashion. Cloud saving is another one of those online features we would love to look into, but we would require economic validation before pursuing it.

@Gdi Glad you're having fun and that your problem fixed itself! We found a pretty large gap of experience among beta testers for CB. So in many ways, "Normal Mode" is easy mode for the experienced strategy gamer. Feel free to bump up the difficulty to "Extreme Speed Mode" for that first impression challenge you're looking for. Collect those sweet trophies, yo!

Difficulty DOES increase through the campaigns, so no worries there. Enemies gain more advantage as the game progresses, matches get much more hectic and complex, and bosses get more powerful.

We are quite proud of the subtle complexity in the different faction's AI personalities. I won't go into detail because it spoils the fun of learning them as you poke and prod them in play. They might not have specific abilities, but there is more beneath the surface.

@HelperMonkey Next post I'll definitely show the trailer footage and links to the soundtrack. Thanks for expressing interest.

@RinoaHeartily Once you begin to predict your enemies movements, swarms are your best bet at survival. The most likely castle to be attacked is the one you just captured, so having a buffer of units is good insurance. At higher speeds and difficulties your left thumb "Select All Units" button is your best friend. Spam the heck out of it.

4. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Exactly the questions I was going to ask - just bought the full campaign, looking forward to playing it

5. Light Arc Studio

Apr 21, 2017
    #25 Light Arc Studio, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    As requested...
    Prepare for Battle trailer:

EX-STATIC worked incredibly hard on this masterpiece of a soundtrack and it would mean the world to see them achieve success through it!

6. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    I can't beat the boss!!! It's bloody hard!!!! Anyone beaten the boss!

7. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
  8. HotHamBoy

HotHamBoy Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    I adore the art, the entire aesthetic is refreshing and awesome.

Unfortunately, the gameplay did not grab me and I'm a pretty big strategy fan.

9. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Really really good game.
    Better than Mushroom wars, for me.
    Awesome job!

10. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Mushroom was is a more complicated game. This is much easier to pick up and execute.

11. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    I finished the first mushroom war years ago on PS3. It was then a classic and I loved it.

I really dig the fact you have to battle for ressources in this game.

But you're right in the end this one is easier.
    But not in a bad way.

12. RhymesandRakes

RhymesandRakes New Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Has anyone looked at the "code" at the beginning of the game?? "The Sages Have Taken Control," "Don't go to the edge of the tapestry," "sailors beware the edge of the map"? I'm only at the end of the first campaign but that is super creepy sounding. Is it expanded upon later? I might have to invest in the other campaigns.

Also, how do I defeat the giant head at the end of the campaign?? I have no idea what I'm doing in this fight!

Attached Files:

13. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Just try to fight this head with your troops ? :)

14. BlueTrin

Jun 21, 2012
    I think there is a bug in the purple campaign in 'beyond the tapestry.

I killed the red head and captured every castle. The game does not move to the next level.

I use an iPhone 6+.

15. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Just reporting a bug!

When in game, if you answer a phone call or simply switch between apps. When you come back the game crashes, everytime.

Nothing major but a little annoying!

10/10. This game is simply incridible!!!

16. Light Arc Studio

Apr 21, 2017
    @RhymesandRakes
    There is a bit more to the story than the cheesy fantasy it appears to be at first, but beyond that I'll leave it to you to discover. I'd love to encourage any theories about what it could mean. Please mark spoilers if you want to talk about any secrets you discover or if you do discuss the later occurrences in the narrative.

@BlueTrin
    Thank you for informing us of this bug and listing your model. This is now our top priority. Try turning off the visual effects (in the options menu) and seeing if that helps. They turn off automatically on earlier models to assist with lower memory capacities for better gameplay. It might just be too much for your device to handle on that particular level with the effects on.

If that does not work and you wish to move forward immediately, there is the "skip level cheat" you can activate from the options menu. This will allow you to progress to the next campaign/level if you don't want to wait. As the writer, I dislike recommending this because the end of Purperilous level ten has one of the best moments in the story, but the choice is yours until we can figure this out.

Do let us know if anything changes and thanks again!

"Evil always finds a way,"
    Cleveland T. Mosher

17. Light Arc Studio

Apr 21, 2017
    @Ijipop

This might be a more complex problem that could take us some time to solve, but we will look into it. What model are you using and is anyone else experiencing this issue?

We're glad that this bug is not affecting your overall opinion of Castle Battles! If we can manage to grow as a tiny indie company, it will become easier for us to handle these sorts of errors. That said, we want the best experience you can get, so we'll keep being here doing what we can.

18. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012

Iphone 6s, latest IOS.

Thanks for your time!
    Have a good day!

Best of luck with your game.

19. BlueTrin

Jun 21, 2012
    Hey I passed the level, my settings were already on low graphics.

I think somehow the bug was linked to the fact that I captured all castles before to fight the head (in my last attempt, I killed the head before to capture the remaining castles and this allowed me to pass the level)

20. BlueTrin

Jun 21, 2012
    Btw if you like strategy games, this is very much like Galcyion.

Graphics are nice and IMHO this game is worth buying. Try at least the free campaign.