Castaway Paradise - (Stolen Couch Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, Jun 11, 2012.

1. BMH

BMH Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    [​IMG]

Check out this screenshot from the intro of Castaway Paradise . The player is all covered in seaweed after they got shipwrecked on the island. Luckily mayor Viktoria finds the player and gives them a tent to stay in for a while.

Do you think we're using enough seaweed to cover the player in?

2. BMH

BMH Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
  3. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    #63 tso5818, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    Looks nice, maybe a little more seaweed at the feet. Looks like a costume as it sits right now.

Also in the game, on some nights could there be big waves crashing ashore? Would be sweet.
    I think you mentioned day/night system in the game.

4. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Looks stunning, wont be freemium right? Having a garden in a game makes me think freemium. :p

5. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

Waiting for play it.

6. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Oh by the way, where is the beta test sign up link?

7. BMH

BMH Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Want to try out Castaway Paradise? Become a testers and play the game early!

If you own a iPad you can now sign up via Testflight. We will send beta builds to select testers. All we ask in return is that you provide us with feedback.

You can sign up here: http://tflig.ht/lTVyMV

8. shining jade

shining jade Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Oh please don't say freemium O.O.....
    I fear that word .. IAP central with wifi only oh man I'm starting to think Sims Freeplay.. O.O

Paid games are always the best way to go, they don't all seem to get you into a trap of buying IAP to beat or play the game.
    I don't get why people choose f2p model it's a little sad, though some say the IAP are not needed, but then u can't get far without it.. I didn't think freemium till I saw the garden and that by itself could mean a lot of stuff..

Energy based, FarmVille type stuff that could grow in real time meaning pure wifi only and IAP to speed up if u want, IAP to unlock special garden stuff or seeds etc oh boy let's hope not...
    Really great looking game but if any of this is true sadly I'm out...
    I think you made a great game but I'm not to sure of it now...O.O

I was hoping it was a paid game few IAP and had the ability to play offline if needed :)

9. BMH

BMH Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    It's free 2 play. This allows you and everyone else to try the game out without spending a dime.

I understand your concern and I would like to explain our decision. The last couple of years we have been releasing premium games only. We spend a year developing our first game Kids vs Goblins with 6 people. In the end the game only made $30k. Which means we lost an enormous amount of money. The second game Ichi did a bit better, it sold about $60k. But it still wasn't nearly enough. Castaway Paradise has been a huge undertaking. Our team has grown to 10 people and we've been making this game for 1.5 years and it's not done yet. In order to recoup the costs for development we'll need $250.000k, a number only the top 1% selling apps will get. In order to reach the 1% we'll need a super aggressive marketing plan to get noticed. Which too costs a LOT of money. Making it even more difficult to break even.

Freemium has allowed us to design the game in a way that'll keep players coming back to the game for months, even years. Instead of getting money from the player once, the player will pay if they feel like they're getting worth for their money. This forces us to continue to expand the game. Adding theme packs, events, more quests, thousands of extra items. Only by making the game better with every update will we break even. I guarantee you that this will result in a better game for you.

I hope you will try the game once it's released in your country. I'm sure you will enjoy it :)

10. Gamigo78

Gamigo78 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2011
    Looks really good. Applied :)

11. shining jade

Apr 1, 2013
    Well that would be the first time, someone explained why they chose freemium and that seems understanding.
    Ok so then I have some questions if you are ok with answering them?

So you mentioned theme packs etc, does that mean we will see stuff for all the holidays ?

Freemium as I've seen, at least with ones like stranglings and sims freeplay, have been made to be pure wifi only, will this game follow that same route?:(

Since it is now confirmed freemium, How will IAP work?

Since Halloween is coming up could this get released by then and have holiday aspects to it? :)

The garden interests me, this makes me think, Is there a energy based system in this?

This runs on what devices fully ?

What ios is needed?

what ios is the minimum needed?

This does look very neat and I love these type of games :)
    Though hoping it can play offline and praying there's not a energy system
    though I will try it, sounds fun I think my other friends may like this too :)

Hope I didn't ask too many questions:)
    And thank you if you can answer them :)

12. BMH

BMH Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Yes, we will have special events for holidays. For example you will be able to do special quests, buy special items in the stores etc. For events like Halloween we're even going to change the whole theme of the island (green water included!).

Wifi only is a way for us to get the data we need to finish the game. The Canadian release is a beta, we need data to work out the bugs and stuff.

Hard currency can be bought to speed up development times. There is also a subscription that gives you special stuff and removes limitations.

Yes, but it's removed when you take a subscription. We've made it so that the general public won't be annoyed by the limitation.

Ios 5+. iPhone 4+

Np

13. shining jade

Apr 1, 2013
    Wow thanks for answering my questions ! :)
    Green water well now that's unique :p I like that!
    subscription oooh I like that idea, though only seen it done in one game, though I think it was back years ago it was a mmo that did subscriptions.

So subscriptions are monthly or is there other options like weekly or yearly?

So there is a energy system but there's a subscription to solve that, I hope I understood that right, if so neat idea :cool:

So there may be hopes this could be offline :)

So far this game sounds really cool can't wait to see it!

Great job hope your beta goes well

14. BMH

BMH Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
  15. shining jade

Apr 1, 2013
    so for those testing why was build 0.7995 removed i got email at 2pm saying it was available but going into it with my testflight said it was removed .. Something went wrong I assume?

Still can't wait to try this and hoping I am helpful once a working beta is released

16. PartTimeEvil

PartTimeEvil Well-Known Member

Was just talking about how no totally successful animal crossing game had really grabbed me on iOS. Good luck with this. Look forward to playing.

17. BMH

BMH Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Hopefully we will fill the void, IN A BIG WAY.

18. BMH

BMH Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    We have submitted the beta build of Castaway Paradise to Apple. The beta will be released in Canada this month!

19. MikeNintendo

MikeNintendo Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Great visual style and developer name :)

20. Back2funk

Back2funk Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2010
    England
    Damn it, Canada get lucky again :p how long before the rest of us can get our hands on this?