iPhone Carrier Deck (By Slitherine)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by currymutton, Jun 18, 2017.

1. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    I’m not sure I can agree with this. They updated the engine for the Shenandoah titles, two of them anyway. In my case, I have an older iPad as well as the 9.7 pro, so I will still have access to them.

Hopefully, some genius will come up with a 32bit emulator, I would install that even if it meant having to jailbreak my Pro.

2. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    A lot of other devs didn't had a problem with upgrading their products to 64 bit, so why would this argument be valid?

3. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Slitherine are a developer and publisher, they have lots of titles on iOS that still work that do not use the engine which is not being updated. Also they publish for other devs who use their own engines.

This title is definitely 64 bit, as is PanzerCorps, BASPM, Vietnam 65, Heroes of Normandy. They have also updated some Shenandoah title(s). The engine being discussed affects a number of titles and won't be upgraded to 64 bit, but has no impact on this title (which they do not develop, I believe, only publish). Hope that helps explain! :)

4. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    #24 Mythbuster, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Yep, a cool kind of update: Changed the name from "Drive on Moscow" to "Drive on Moscow Vol 2" (same game) and everybody had to pay 9,99 € again ...

By the way: As Battle Academy 2 was new, they wrote on their page about "the new game Engine" which will be a huge step for future gaming ... :rolleyes:

This "future" was not very long ... an only for "BA 2" and "Pike & Shot" (made with "the Engine of the future") I paid around 60,- Euro ...

And he, Qvadriga is made with "Unity" ... that game should be easy converted to 64 Bit ... but also here nothing but silence, even on e-Mail in which I offered help.

And the best of all: You can still spend much money on all those titles and Slitherine does even not warn on the iTunes Page that the purchase will be obsolet with iOS 11 ... shame on that!

Edit: There are many good premium titels, like Carcassonne, Catan, an many more games ... but I have to say: If a company shows this kind of "customer care" I will learn ... by the way, the same with "Take 2" (Civ Revolution 2, Starship, XCOM etc.) ... I will never buy again an iOS title from that company, too ...

And the only way that they react is, that the customer shows a reaction which will hurt them ... and the only way is not to give them any money ...

5. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    folks i think you all going off track all i see is moans about slitherine actions not what this new game is like which this thread is suppose to be about. So lets get back on track with that.

6. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    You took my line! ;)

Anyway, given that RPS does a fair review, even though "sinking other people's ships is my favorite past-time", I would hold up with this one.

7. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Threads are not supposed to be what you want them to be but about everything anybody wants them to be

8. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    OK, in a normal way it should stay onTopic ... and here we are in a kind offTopic ... but ... for me it is important to know any aspect of a game ... and if somebody want 10,99 € for it, I want to know, how good or bad is the support from the seller ... so I posted my opinion about that so that anybody can decide if he want to buy it anyway or not!

9. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Having read the RPS review I'm disappointed this doesn't have more depth.

Looks like Slitherine have dropped their standards (and customer service re: 64bit support) considerably.

Oh well, more $ to support the quality developers.

10. sabre31

sabre31 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    #30 sabre31, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    So this does suck but its not as easy as some think and just flip the Xcode switch to 64-bit. Some apps will never be updated because of engines or 3rd party tools they use are not updated. Bottom line I blame Apple for all of this BS. They are doing it on purpose and don't care. Their message about 32bit slowing down a 64-bit OS is total nonsense and not technically correct. They can let 32bit apps runs no issues they are just ignorant and forcing their views on users like everything they do with IOS. I been an Apple fan for long time but their recent actions is having me waiver that loyalty more and more.

Windows 10 for example still allows 16-bit apps to run if you want them too. So I can run 16,32 and 64-bit and Microsoft lets me decide as the user what I want to do with my own system. They should have a settings that you can toggle on/off for 32-bit support in IOS. By Default leave if 32-bit support off and your normal users will never change it but for gamers and power users they can set it to on to let their 32-bit apps run. This is what I would have done if I was doing it.

11. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Wow, thanks Mythbuster for bringing this to light regarding Slitherine's 64 bit apps.

I too own 80% or so of their games - which have been some of the best games offered on the App Store. It's probably correct to direct the anger towards Apple more so than Slitherine. Apple is probably doing this for two reasons. The first being to force continued hardware upgrades, but also to cleanly wipe a ton of garbage from the store as well. It's a nice clean way of doing the latter in the style of Apple.

This game looks pretty cool tho, Im definitely interested in it. Sounds a bit more management related which I could go for in this theme/style. Would love to hear impressions. Also would love to hear a solid about it being 64 bit.

12. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
  13. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    To be fair they only updated as a new app after the BoB fiasco. They updated that app, but the community complained a lot, so they left the original Moscow as that was what vocal owners requested.

I agree with the BA2 / Pike / Hell , which I will keep an iOS 11 device for. But I won't refuse to buy their apps, as the change is from apple not the dev, and while unfortunate, does not strike me as negligent. Anyway it's all semantics, they won't release another app on iOS which they have developed as the market was not giving enough return. They will still publish from other devs and I don't see much point in boycotting those titles, unless you don't like the dev (if quadriga dev isn't your favourite, don't buy this title!)

Anyway back to this game, having beta'.... I am unlikely to buy as RTS management isn't really my thing, but hope all those who do enjoy!

14. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Four pages of posts and I don't think a single person has bought it yet. I must say I'm curious to hear a review from one or two TouchArcade Vets. I'm certain most wargamers/grognards will hate it.

15. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    RPS has a review but not a rave one. (Find yourself the link please) In short, unless you really a flat top AND a management nuts, you may wish to look at something else like...ah...um...Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal! :D

It is time somebody brought Harpoon to mobile.

16. eugenemcardle

May 21, 2013
    Now THAT is a great idea. Loved that game back in the day, still have it lying around on CD

17. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Ditto!

18. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Yes, a remake, but not from Slitherine, so that we can enjoy it a bit longer then a few weeks!

19. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
  20. eugenemcardle

May 21, 2013
    That a great question, and it’s the reason I have made sure I have ALL my previous purchases saved on my HD. Can’t believe I’ve spent so much money on Apple apps. My only consolation is that I’d have spent it anyway, on something just as trivial.