Universal Cards of Terra (by Denis Buslaev)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ObsoleteOne, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Great little game. Best of all it’s free with ads (which aren‘t intrusive at all). I still bought the (only) €2.99 (= $3.49?) in app purchase to get rid of them mainly to support the dev.

As the name suggests, Cards of Terra is a card (battle) game with a simple premise: You either have to clear the board of all cards or reach certain cards to get to the next level.

It‘s much more strategic than it sounds though. The game completely sucks you in by constantly introducing new cards and abilities and it‘s one of those "just one more level" games that‘s very hard to lay down.

Glad to have discovered it here and if you haven‘t already I‘d definitely recommend to give it a shot. You‘ve got nothing to lose after all :)

ObsoleteOne and elcrazy like this.
  2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Doh, not offhand, but if a theme comes to me I'll let you know!

ObsoleteOne likes this.
  3. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    Same thing happened to me as @elcrazy.
    I uninstalled this game and reinstalled.
    I'm at chapter 2 boss.
    Very addicting game, I also bought ad removal option to support dev!

4. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I am absolutely loving this to bits - Its a really simple set of rules done incredibly well. I’m finding it incredibly tricky at times but as others have said it’s got that ‘just one more go’ feel to it, it’s game of the week for me I’m struggling to put it down and the remove ads option is a steal really.

5. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Finished this thing (campaign) in a couple days. Can't remember the last time I came close to that sort of timeline with a game.

Like others I almost stopped after a couple levels but then it really clicked and I couldn't stop.

Really hope this gets plenty love from users...and updates!

ObsoleteOne likes this.
  6. ObsoleteOne

ObsoleteOne Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Thanks.
    It's an iOS Price Tier 3 and it's probably the other way around. $2.99 = €3.49. Seems rather strange given that EUR > USD but it is what it is.

Huh, I just went for the price I would feel comfortable paying here in Russia, and given income differences between countries perception of the price should vary a lot. Doubt it's a sound argument from the business point of view:rolleyes:.

Gambler likes this.
  7. elcrazy

elcrazy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    I think you got it right. I personally think most iOS games are too cheap and so are many no add options. However with the mobile market the way it is, I think your price point is perfect. Here in Canada it’s $3.99. It’s the new age mentality. Under $5 still easier for people. The game is probably worth an easy $10 or more. Most games are. Video games are by far your best bang for your buck as far as entertainment by time. Anything else costs way more. But I wouldn’t beat yourself up, your business model is correct. Unfortunately any higher and the sales probably get harder. Good luck with it.

Only advice I could try and give is maybe make it more obvious about cards all being equal. No bad vs good. Just save the gold cards or clear the screen. Seems like many people gave up for some reason. Not sure if it’s that. But I think I was also confused and wasn’t sure about that angle. Once I gave that up and just played the game became what it’s supposed to be….. Which is an awesome new solitaire.

Gambler and ObsoleteOne like this.
  8. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    #28 dukat111, Aug 17, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    Awesome game! Love the mechanics, breath of fresh air into an old genre.

9. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #29 Gambler, Aug 19, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    I can say for sure that the price here in middle Europe was €2,99 for removing the ads. Often USD prices are the same, even though at the current exchange rate €2.99 = $3.49. Up until two months ago the same Euro amount would have amounted to >$3.60.

Thought this unbalance could‘ve maybe changed as the USD rose compared to the Euro in recent months but should have known better. No idea why but Euro prices have usually always been higher or at least the same as USD, so I guess I’ve fooled myself a bit there ;)

We often pay about 2 times or more the USD prices for Apple hardware, for example a few weeks ago I got the new Apple iPad Pro with 256GB + cellular for ~$2000 which is the standard price over here. But at least this makes a little more sense to me: - 1. Apple has always been a huge price gouger especially in Europe as alas - at least in the tablet market - nothing comes near to the quality of the iPad - 2. Even though as good as everything in their devices is made in China, Apple still is an American company so I guess it makes sense that they overcharge overseas.

Anyway, what I never got, don‘t get and never will get at all is how they can honestly justify that Apps and games in most Western European countries cost the same or even more in Euro than in USD when a Dollar’s worth is only about 4/5. Don’t think (higher) taxes or income rates would be the best excuse as most of these countries differ vastly in those areas. Always stroke me as unfair and in all my years as iOS gamer I’ve never found a satisfying answer - But looks like it doesn’t matter what the USD exchange rate is, this Euro(pe) overcharging apparently won’t change anytime soon.

10. ObsoleteOne

Jun 2, 2017
    #30 ObsoleteOne, Aug 19, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    We've got featured in the App Store at least in Russia. Don't know about other countries yet. We'll see, but this is really exciting.
    [​IMG]

edit: Germany also confirmed, so it's prob a worldwide feature which is just awesome.

L.Lawliet and houseofg like this.
  11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Can confirm…Lebanon too. :)

ObsoleteOne likes this.
  12. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Grats! Not seeing it in the U.S., unfortunately.
    Instead, crap like Candy Crush Saga (SMH).

ObsoleteOne likes this.
  13. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Just finished all the modalities (campaign and draft). What a Little gem. Can’t wait for the puzzle modality to be available.

I have a small question. I can see the record score in the draft mode but if doesn’t look like it records the high score in the random mode. Am I missing it?

it does give a score when you finish a game in random mode so would be nice to keep track of that.

ObsoleteOne likes this.
  14. ObsoleteOne

Jun 2, 2017
    The score in Random at the end of the game is mostly for the sake of progression for card unlocks. It's rather meaningless as a competitive metric since it incorporates two conflicting variables (number of turns and cards killed). You are right though, and ideally Random should have its own lobby where you could see previous results and maybe compare them to other players', especially if we could frame it as some sort of a daily challenge (getting gold, silver, bronze awards the next day?). All this sounds cool, but I'm afraid is out of scope for us given the team size (it's just me and two artists) and I'd rather focus on gameplay content, than on UI and the so-called services part. Perhaps, Random mode turned out to be too random to be competitively viable.

Still, Random mode saves your results (number of turns, not the score) on the Daily Random leaderboard using GameCenter, but the only way to see it is to tap on the scoreboard at Draft mode lobby at starting deck selection. That will take you to that draft's leaderboard, and you should be able to navigate to Daily Random leaderboard from there using native UI.

Thank you for playing ;)

15. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Always great to see this! Congrats!

16. andreadeda

Mar 6, 2013
    Thank you for your reply.

Please do keep focusing on adding content, scores are not that important.

Awesome game, really!

17. ObsoleteOne

Jun 2, 2017
    Update 2.0.2 is live.
    It adds 2 new cards to unlock, 6th draft starting deck(Giants), and few minor achievements (all hidden).
    There are also a bunch of bugfixes and campaign balance tweaks.

All in all, project is doing good. Thanks to multiple featurings from Apple we were able to get 1-2k new players daily, which led to positive reviews, and an overall positive release experience.

18. andreadeda

Mar 6, 2013
    Very happy to hear that you are doing good and for the new content! Congratulations

ObsoleteOne likes this.
  19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    An update just dropped with a few new cards, a new Draft Mode, and even more variety in Draft level layouts!

20. ObsoleteOne

Jun 2, 2017
    This update turned out to have several bugs. Nothing too critical but still I think it's better to update to 2.1.0 which is now live.